Beyond the rumor sites? What could they mean?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to start this thread to analyze just what Apple could be thinking with the words on their website today.

Way beyond the rumor sites seems like something unheard of, however it has to stay with the same hardware matrix, right? I mean we have to have new towers and iMacs, so what exactly is Apple trying to see? Do they mean beyond the speculation that goes on in AI, or do they beyond the stuff posted on The Register etc? I doubt they could go beyond anything spec-wise, so does this give a clue that we are talking about something COMPLETELY different in terms of hardware?

Something way beyond could perhaps mean insane G4 clock speeds, but that's already been talked about and mentioned, and I really don't think it's likely.

Is Apple going completely out of the loop? Does this "way beyond" refer to the hardware already there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The doomsday device will have a range that will knock out all rumor sit servers. (Sorry Jonathan. You may have a new server but it will not stand up against "the revenge of Apple")
  • Reply 2 of 39
    hehe
  • Reply 3 of 39
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Im beginning to think that 'way beyond' doesn't mean 'G5/Apollo/ LCD imac' anything.

Way beyond the specs that 'the reg' posted for the G5. That seems unlikely

Way beyond Apollo>1GHZ, well we might see Apollo at something like 2GHZ, but I dont bite

Way beyond LCD imacs, well what is it then?

Way beyong to me means

G5 (quad-core) speeds > 2.5 GHZ

Apollo >=2GHZ

LCD imacs 2GHZ Apollo, LCD1280*1024

But it probably means

*completely unthought-of product*
  • Reply 4 of 39
    "Way Beyond" Means they are completely bypassing the G5 and coming out with a G6 - DUH ! :eek: It's not going to be called G6 though - Something along the lines - T-1000 Neural Net Processor
  • Reply 5 of 39
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Well, I know where I'll be at 11:59 PST tonight...

I hope the next phrase is even more worthy of goosebumps than the last.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. They can't go "way beyond" the G5s or Apollos or LCD iMacs that we've been talking about. I agree that it has to be some completely unthought of product. I just hope they still release all that good stuff on the rumor sites anywayz, because the G5 is what I want.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Might they simply mean "It's MORE than just a flat panel iMac and speed-bumped Powermac," since 99% of rumor page speculation has revolved around those two items?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    It's possible. But if they are going way beyond anything rumor sites have discussed doesn't that mean way beyond 1.6 GHz G5s or Apollos up to 1.4-1.6 GHz? Where do we draw the line between where they are going way beyond?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]I'm going to start this thread to analyze just what Apple could be thinking with the words on their website today. <hr></blockquote>

Isn't this already being specifically discussed <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=000368"; target="_blank">here</a> and more generally <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000401"; target="_blank">here</a>?

Why do we need another topic about it?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>

But it probably means

*completely unthought-of product*</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is what I think they are referring to as well.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    How Pissed will everyone be if

1. Completely new unthoughtof product is released

2. Entire mac line gets a 100MHZ speed bump?
  • Reply 12 of 39
    I agree -- I don't think it means that Apple will be announcing a quantum-leap speed bump. More likely they mean something DIFFERENT in addition to the LCD iMac and/or faster Powermac.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    What Rumors, and or Rumor site is Apple refering to?

There are a lot of rumors out there, and most of them are pretty wild. I really doubt Apple can surpass them all.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I'm trying to stay detached from the hype and not get to excited. My gut tells me Jobs will unveil a number solid but not amazing products that, from Apple's point of view, will be worthy of the hype when taken together.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    It probably isn't just software or hardware. It will be corporate. Apple as a company is going to evolve to the next level. Spin offs or mergers or corporate reallignment with other industries.

That is "beyond the rumor sites!"
  • Reply 16 of 39
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    It's around 3pm EST. I give this thread till 4pm till Jonathon closes it
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Apple bought the G5 designs from Motorola. AMD makes the chips. IBM designed the support HW. Apple also Bought SGI. Raycer made the GPU. Apple dual G5 Octane + Maya

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: MarcUK ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Hmm yeah when I started it I didn't realize that thread was here. However, maybe this thread could be used to think outside the lines? Think the way Apple thinks and get down to figure out what Apple is up to.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Do you think if rumors pages were predicting 1.4ghz G4/G5 chips, and Apple secretly had a 1.6ghz G5 chip ready, they'd say "Beyond the rumor sites... way beyond" ??

It's not a matter of the new announcement being incrementally better in terms of speed/capacity than what the rumor sites are saying. Obviously they've got something different -- a new product, or a whole new product line, or some kind of corporate change (bought out by RJ Reynolds!) or the like.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    G5's are actually dual core?