A look at who's making iPhone 3G purchases thus far

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    25,000 iPhones sold in Japan is impossible. Everyone swore no Japanese would be caught dead with an iPhone because Japan already had the most sophisticated handsets in the world. The iPhone has no emoji characters, no mechanical keyboard, no Chaku Uta, no 1Seg and no FeliCa. What the heck is going on in Japan. There must be some mistake. Maybe they thought the iPhone was the latest Sony Bravia phone.

Supposedly there is still pent-up demand in Japan because the stores can't keep enough of them in stock. I know, I know. It has to be that there is only 10 iPhones a day at each store. Fake demand by Apple. Apple is devious. The SoftBank CEO says the iPhone will be a hit in Japan, but what does he know. Nothing, he's Japanese and is responsible for handset sales in his company. So why believe him since his desire is to incur a huge money loss for his company.

Truthfully, some of the handsets the people had that were queued up for the iPhone didn't really look like they were using cutting edge handsets.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Or do they think the 3G is that much better and worth the added cos of moving up?

If I had an original, I would not have hesitated to move up. I anticipate moving up next year.

Both my daughter (23) and I were early adopters and even with 2.5g, $200 premium the last year was a joy using the iPhone vs. her razr and my samsung. My whole business is on the phone and the ease of adding contacts, syncing, checking email was wonderful. We will always buy the next "latest & greatest" Apple products just because of the increase in productivity, speed and ease of use. The Apple "premium" is well worth it!

Regards,

Chris
  • Reply 23 of 37
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    What does it say when 38% of iPhone buyers are...iPhone owners? I would think Apple would want to broaden their userbase, not resell to 2/5 the same people as they did last year. What's perhaps more bothersome is why do so many $600 phone owners feel the need to replace it just 12 months later?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

What does it say when 38% of iPhone buyers are...iPhone owners? I would think Apple would want to broaden their userbase, not resell to 2/5 the same people as they did last year. What's perhaps more bothersome is why do so many $600 phone owners feel the need to replace it just 12 months later?

What do you think the people will do with their original iPhones? They will not throw them away, like any other brand of cell phone. They will either sell them or give them to family members, and they will use them as phones.

When my wife and I bought iPhones months ago, when the 16 GB models were released, I sold both of our Moto Razrs on eBay and recouped over $100. Thankfully the Razr still has some value, but an iPhone will easily fetch a few hundred dollars on eBay, even a 1st gen model.

Once I saw the iPhone, I could not wait to get rid of the Moto Razr. Even though it is a good phone, the software sucks compared to the ease of use of the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    schralpschralp Posts: 25member
    I am what I think is a loyal Apple customer. (I only own Macs-5-and have at least 5 iPods starting with a 1G). I have not purchased a computer in a store in 15 years and haven't purchased a cellphone in a store in 8 years. I have been waiting for this second generation iPhone (despite the fact that it's AT&T) since the announcement of the first generation iPhone. I frequently pre-order products Apple announces but I may never purchase an iPhone because I can't get it online and have no interest in doing so in a brick and mortar store. Apple was really short-sighted in changing their mode of selling these. I think, despite how well they did this weekend, that there must be people like me, who don't want to deal with the hassle they are putting people through in store. I am sorely disappointed.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schralp View Post

I am what I think is a loyal Apple customer. (I only own Macs-5-and have at least 5 iPods starting with a 1G). I have not purchased a computer in a store in 15 years and haven't purchased a cellphone in a store in 8 years. I have been waiting for this second generation iPhone (despite the fact that it's AT&T) since the announcement of the first generation iPhone. I frequently pre-order products Apple announces but I may never purchase an iPhone because I can't get it online and have no interest in doing so in a brick and mortar store. Apple was really short-sighted in changing their mode of selling these. I think, despite how well they did this weekend, that there must be people like me, who don't want to deal with the hassle they are putting people through in store. I am sorely disappointed.

Surely you can venture in to a store once every eight years.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

250k in UK - and only 2k in Norway...

What were they smoking when estimating?

Just compare the pricing schemes. Here in the UK, it's very common to pay £35-£45 per month for your contract ANYWAY so to pay an extra one-off £59 to get a 16Gb iPhone on the higher rate contract is a complete no-brainer.

Me, I queued at 06.45 outside our local O2 shop and by 08.00 when the doors opened, all of the phones they had in had been allocated to people in the queue.

I stayed with my £35/mo contract (have been on that rate for years now) and paid a one-off £159 for the iPhone.

The UK sold the second most to the USA because we've got the BEST pricing scheme in the world. This will prove itself further in the coming months, particularly when we all look and laugh at the poor Canadians being Rogered by Rogers.

Scandinavia? Also being raped over their months charges, poor data bundles and high initial outlay for the phone.

Again, the UK has the BEST worldwide deal on the iPhone, why don't the other carriers wake up and start to watch them fly out like we are?
  • Reply 28 of 37
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Overall, Piper Jaffray found that 61 percent of early adopters owned Macs and 39 percent owned Windows-based PCs, a sign that Apple's existing customer base was largely to thank for the successful launch that raked in sales of more than 1 million units in just three days.

Wow, you mean 61% of people lining up outside an Apple Store owned Macs?

McD
  • Reply 29 of 37
    schralpschralp Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Surely you can venture in to a store once every eight years.

I'm not saying I never go in a store. I just don't choose to buy computers there (I like to customize them) and there's no bigger cluster than buying a cellphone at a store. I am strictly Verizon and each time I get a new one, I have it FedEx'd to my house and activate it that way. I can't believe they were losing so many phones to illegal unlocking that they can't sell 'em and activate 'em online. My friend who stood in line to get one, couldn't have it activated onsite, and was sent home to do so on her own. Now why not sell 'em online?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    What about France?

It seems there would have been a number of phones sold in Fance, no? These numbers seem awfully sloppy, even for rough estimates... Mexico? seriously....
  • Reply 31 of 37
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jb510 View Post

What about France?

It seems there would have been a number of phones sold in Fance, no? These numbers seem awfully sloppy, even for rough estimates... Mexico? seriously....

France didn't launch, they're launching next week I think. And France was a really bad bet from Job's part, it's one of the lowest penetration markets with just 80 something % and I don't think they tried hard at all the 1st time and this time they managed to arrive late when Aussie's Optus turned in last minute and managed to sell on July 11th...

They also get it wrong in Portugal placing Portugal Telecom as a seller when they didn't get a deal with Apple, they shunned the iPhone - even heard they claimed the iPhone had tech problems - and last week they came out stating they were getting the iPhone too (a lie, no deal to this date) and that they had run out to London to deal with Apple regarding that. I mean, is there Apple HQ in London, someone please help me ;-) Portugal's carriers are Vodafone and Optimus (Orange affiliate). Vodafone has sold out, Optimus probably too.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Rogers iPhone sales suck. Look,, the USA is only 10 times the Canadian population and they have had the iPhone for a year already.

10 times the population

40 times more sales of iPhones.

Rogers is loosing money,,, their stock should TANK.

Also see:

Canucks deserve to be treated like iHumans

Joy of Tech SLAMS Ted Rogers

Canucks deserve to be treated like iHumans

http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/j...ives/1123.html
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Based on the figures above, the iphone is 3 times more popular in the UK than in the US...

Working on a population of the US or 300 million and the UK of 60 million. One in every seven hundred and fifty people in the US bought an iPhone over the weekend, compared with One in every two hundred and fifty people in the UK... go figure...

I suppose most Brits just have that creative flare... It was designed by a brit for goodness sakes (Jonathan Ives)....
  • Reply 34 of 37
    yorchyorch Posts: 1member
    Actually it was on the Mexican news that most of the iPhone points of sale in the country ran out of stock by noon. People were forming lines 2 or 3 hours prior the opening of the stores and that's something never seen in the country.

Just think that there are 70 who own a cellphone and from those 70 million 57 are Telcel's customers the company that launched iPhone in the country.

• Reply 35 of 37
    One simple question, regardless if you are in New York or Minneapolis.

What OS do you (an iPhone owner) use?

http://www.degutis.com/blog/iphone-o...rting-systems/

-Al
  • Reply 36 of 37
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    The article mentions that the percentage of switchers to AT&T is down from the initial iPhone introduction (52%) to now (38%). But it also says that 38% of the people in line already have iPhones. If we assume that almost none of the existing iPhone owners are switchers we can conclude that the percentage of switchers among the people in line who don't already have iPhones is much higher: about 61% in fact! (i.e, Switchers/NewOwners = .38/(1-.38) =.61)
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Wow, you mean 61% of people lining up outside an Apple Store owned Macs?

McD

They surveyed outside AT&T stores as well. I know because I took the survey outside an AT&T store.

Quote:

I'm not saying I never go in a store. I just don't choose to buy computers there (I like to customize them) and there's no bigger cluster than buying a cellphone at a store.

Having purchased an iPhone at the most chaotic moment (when it went on sale last friday morning), I can assure you it's a highly painless process. Figure out all the details at home, then just walk in to an AT&T store and tell them exactly what plan and model phone you want. If they don't have it in stock, they'll order it and call you when it arrives.

Quote:

My friend who stood in line to get one, couldn't have it activated onsite, and was sent home to do so on her own. Now why not sell 'em online?

I went home with mine still in the sealed box as well, but the reason that's still better for them than selling it online is because customers still have to sign a 2-year contract before they leave the store, whether the phone is activated or not.