iPhone 3G now all but sold out in 38 states

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Are you people actually arguing that selling out of your product is a bad thing? What company would rather have product sitting on shelves collecting dust rather than to be sold out?

Yes, selling out when people want to buy is usually a bad thing. Remember, the options are not simply running out or having too much. To maximize profits you want to have just enough. Running out leads to lost sales. To me, that is a bad thing...

Now, there is always the chance that the hype of selling out creates good publicity and buzz and increases sales in the long term. But this is far from certain. If supply is severly constrained, people will buy other phones.
  • Reply 22 of 103
    I guess it was a good thing I waited in line for three hours to get mine! Now they're all gone!
  • Reply 23 of 103
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    I expect to appear an Apple apologist, but this whole multi-platform, multi-national product launch is extremely complicated and kudos go to everyone at Apple and the cellular providers for how well things have actually gone. Apple has the whole world watching as it develops, markets, and produces a very technically complex device for a global market. Sure it would be great if the pent up demand for the iPhone 3G could be immediately satisfied--if product development and testing (including multiple government authorizations) could be completed far enough in advance of product launch that a huge cache could be accumulated. All considered, I'd say Apple pulled it off pretty well. The snafu on Friday 7/11--which was generally confined just to Friday--is not terribly surprising when you've got several corporations with computer systems that must talk with each other on a global scale at a time when a sizable fraction of the 6 million original iPhone owners were also trying to activate their upgraded devices. People forget how difficult the original iPhone launch was, when a mere 250K devices were sold in the first 3 days. This time, 6 million iPhones were already out in the wild and reasonable estimates suggest nearly 500K iPhone 3Gs were sold in the same length of time. Yes, problems remain a week later, but the history of the original iPhone launch suggests Apple will clear up the most serious ones very soon, with a simple software update. At least here's hoping!
  • Reply 24 of 103
    petterpetter Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rctshack View Post

merdhead, no one is claiming that their country should be the first, everyone is saying that if they couldn't ramp up production to make enough for all the countries releasing them at the same time, then they should have staggered them. You are the only one assuming that the these people meant their countries first.

It would make sense to do the top selling countries first and then move on to the newer markets at a later period. And why would the US being one of the first countries be bad? It's their original and top selling market... should Zimbabwe be the launching ground of the iphone 3G? It's business, not a game in preschool where everyone is equal.

Yes it is business. And how is selling out bad for business? Look at the Wii - one and half year after launch they still had problems with supplying enough. Bad business? Should they wait until they are sure they have enough - before they even know how the market will react? Apple sold more phones in one weekend, than they did in the first 70 days last year. And then some. I think supply was ample for launch - it is just that demand is too high. And high demand creates even higher demand.

Also; they did stagger the launch. There are 50 more countries waiting in line already.

As for Zimbabwe as an alternative launch country - yes, I agree that it makes sense to compare one third world country to the other, but still - how is US the natural launch for a 3G phone? 3G in the US is a joke. Which I think also the salesfigures show. They should have launched the 3G in Europe and Asia now, and let the US have the 1 gen iPhone for another year - so you can catch up with the rest of us. All of Europe was only so-so to the first phone. We all just waited for this release - because you see, 3G is pretty much the standard over here. I know it sounds crazy.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    Its 11:15 PM PST on July 20th, and I just checked the availability listings for the iPhone 3G. In the U.S., there are only 3 stores that have the iPhone, 1 in CA, 1 in NH, and 1 in NYC. In the U.K., however, all stores have the 8 GB and the 16GB White with only one having the 16GB Black. So either the U.K is getting restocked before the U.S., or it isn't selling as well there. In any event, the sales must be monster in the U.S. for Apple to be having these kind of supply problems.

Steve
  • Reply 26 of 103
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Well I blame China, for taking all the time to prepare for the Olympics and not making iPhones.k

Aren't these made on Taiwan, the only China worth mentioning?
  • Reply 27 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Well, one benefit of staggering is that you can significantly overproduce for the first launch.

There are around 80 countries launching the iPhone 3G this year, yet only 22 were choose from July 11th. That could be construed as staggering.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

When someone says staggered, they mean me first then everyone else. Do you think anyone who is complaining about supply and suggesting staggering is volunteering to delay their purchase?

I've never used that word to mean "me first."

Quote:

It's all so reasonable when it's just so happens your country is the most important, and that's the attitude, nothing more, nothing less. It's just a American centric point of view and you don't even know you have it.

Where is this anti-American attitude coming from. It doesn't matter what country your from, if Apple were to release a product in one country first wouldn't you figure it would be the country of their origin. I certainly don't expect Top Gear to air on BBC America before it aires on BBC in the UK.

Quote:

Or maybe they just misjudged demand. Anyway, how would a staggered launch be any better?

I think Apple initiated a launch with the most popular countries that use 3G cellphones and spent a long time figuring out how much product it would require. Did they undershoot their estimate or is this planned attempt to great more demand? I think it's the former.

Quote:

BTW, is it just me or is this article written in tortured English?

Yes it was. The use of the word "example" was especially bad.

Quote:

Yeah, yeah there's a million reasons why America should be first and that's why you're suggesting it. America is No 1, yada, yada, yada. If you were some two bit country in Africa you wouldn't be.

So you are saying that there are "two bit" countries in Africa? That sound quite elitist. I've been to many countries on almost all continents and no matter how destitute or poor the average populace is there is no place I've visited that I'd describe as such... not even that really filthy one (you know the one I mean).
  • Reply 28 of 103
    csimmonscsimmons Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don't think staggering a couple weeks was going to help much. In fact, it would have made the "late" countries' customers (and carriers!) even madder.

Production will catch up. It's a nice problem for Apple to have! And generates publicity too.

Not so nice for me, who wanted to get one in about 2 weeks...

They're already in staggered release mode. 70 countries by the end of the year, remember? The 22 countries where the iPhone is now is just the beginning.
  • Reply 29 of 103
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I don't think staggering a couple weeks was going to help much. In fact, it would have made the "late" countries' customers (and carriers!) even madder.

Damn right, the staggered approach of the iphone r1 was the main reason I didn't buy it, by the time it came out in the UK I was already looking forward to the next revision.

A couple of weeks isnt so bad, but would definitely annoy me.
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:

BTW, is it just me or is this article written in tortured English?

isn't it always?
  • Reply 31 of 103
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    I'm glad i got up early and queued

not so sad now am I :P
  • Reply 32 of 103
    mrodmrod Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

Its 11:15 PM PST on July 20th, and I just checked the availability listings for the iPhone 3G. In the U.S., there are only 3 stores that have the iPhone, 1 in CA, 1 in NH, and 1 in NYC. In the U.K., however, all stores have the 8 GB and the 16GB White with only one having the 16GB Black. So either the U.K is getting restocked before the U.S., or it isn't selling as well there. In any event, the sales must be monster in the U.S. for Apple to be having these kind of supply problems.

Basically, most people in the UK want the 16GB Black unit. The 8GB is considered far too small and the white one just looks cheap and naff. If you're going to pay £150 for a phone which you're planning to keep for a while there's no point in buying the second best.

Oh, and the stock update isn't to be relied upon. I checked it on Friday night and it said that the Southampton Apple Store had 16GB Black iPhones. However, after a 2 hour trip there on Saturday morning I was told (after 20 minutes in a stationary queue) that they'd run out of those on Friday evening. (The stock update didn't change until Sunday evening to reflect this.)

As for the people in the queue when told about the lack of 16GB black stock, most (including myself) just gave up and left.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are around 80 countries launching the iPhone 3G this year, yet only 22 were choose from July 11th. That could be construed as staggering.

True, true enough. I missed that. But is it my imagination or are the 22 July 11th countries the biggest fish in the market? If so, then the benefits of staggering are somewhat lost...
  • Reply 34 of 103
    I'm told by Apple store sales staff that many (Apple) stores receive small shipments of iPhone 3Gs just about every day but Sunday, but the daily allotments aren't enough that the stores are indicated on www.apple.com as having stock for the next day, and the staff don't know when the shipments will arrive nor how many. Shipments at this one particular store have arrived any time from 9-noon. But a person could wait for hours and no iPhones would be delivered. The iPhones arrive in boxes of 10 of each model. Stores that produce higher sales figures tend to receive more boxes. The store I inquired at is a full-sized store, generally busy, and had received 6 boxes (60 iPhones) that day, with some of all 3 models.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petter View Post

3G in the US is a joke. Which I think also the salesfigures show. They should have launched the 3G in Europe and Asia now, and let the US have the 1 gen iPhone for another year - so you can catch up with the rest of us. All of Europe was only so-so to the first phone. We all just waited for this release - because you see, 3G is pretty much the standard over here. I know it sounds crazy.

Yeah, it sounds crazy because IMHO you're giving too much credit to 3G. I own three 3G smartphones (AT&T and Verizon), including an HTC 8525, none of which were satisfying -- only because of their lousy web browsers and e-mail programs. Thanks to Apple and the original iPhone, none of those 3G phones has been used in over a year, even though they are far faster at rendering crap--in the backward U.S.A. no less!--and burned through batteries like nobody's business.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I've never used that word to mean "me first."

Where is this anti-American attitude coming from. It doesn't matter what country your from, if Apple were to release a product in one country first wouldn't you figure it would be the country of their origin. I certainly don't expect Top Gear to air on BBC America before it aires on BBC in the UK.

I think Apple initiated a launch with the most popular countries that use 3G cellphones and spent a long time figuring out how much product it would require. Did they undershoot their estimate or is this planned attempt to great more demand? I think it's the former.

Yes it was. The use of the word "example" was especially bad.

So you are saying that there are "two bit" countries in Africa? That sound quite elitist. I've been to many countries on almost all continents and no matter how destitute or poor the average populace is there is no place I've visited that I'd describe as such... not even that really filthy one (you know the one I mean).

I think you miss my point, if my name is Andrew Aadrvark, I'd be supporting handing out iPhones and most other things in alphabetical order. The people who talk about staggering are merely saying that they are entitled to a phone before someone else and these people are American, which reflects the attitude.

Now I have nothing against America, I sometimes live in America, have American friends and buy American products. It isn't just an anti-American rant, it's a critique of the American attitude.

And yes, Africa is full of two-bit countries, it's the least developed continent on Earth. How is saying that elitist? What wrong with favouring the elite? Or are you a communist, each according to his need, from each according to his labour? That's strange if true, because at the price, the iPhone is not the People's phone, comrade.
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Apple is now filling more and more Direct Fulfillment orders from AT&T since they gave them the shaft during launch day. My 16GB black iPhone 3G I ordered on launch day will finally be arriving tomorrow.

I also went the direct fulfillment route but not until last Thursday. It'll be interesting to see when mine shows up.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    trackertracker Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Well I blame China, for taking all the time to prepare for the Olympics and not making iPhones.

lol

jk

LOL Funny!
  • Reply 39 of 103
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

By the way, your turning this into an America bashing excercise is a little tiresome. Are you rooting for the US to suffer a big recession? Will that make you happy? I mean, I am all about finding fault with American policies and American corporations, but you are putting words into my mouth and seem to be hoping individual Americans get hurt--that makes you a putz in my eyes if it is true...

I'm just stating the facts, not bashing. The recession is coming whether you or I like it or not. I mainly look at events from the point of view of how they affect me, not other people. Yes, many Americans may suffer, but people suffer everyday (see Zimbabwe). Mostly countries create their own misery (see American and Zimbabwe), why should I worry about people who's outcomes are in their own hands? People should take responsibility for themselves.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    The stock checker on Apple's website is pointless. Why would any iPhones be left when the store closes? If you really want an iPhone, you're going to have to call the store and find out when shipments usually come (if they have gotten any shipments at all since launch), then camp in there.