hypothetical: what if annoyed microsoft stops IE & office development? ideas??

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
looking ahead, let's say apple is really hitting on all cylinders.... the new imac is a hit, the new powermacs are selling well, OSX continues to gain ground, developers are coming back in droves, quicktime 6 w/MPEG4 is making major inroads against real and WMP and apple's marketshare starts to climb again:

1) how can apple protect itself against microsoft if they decide OSX is a threat and respond by slowing or stalling development of IE and office?

2) what apps exist that could be upgraded or polished to take the place of IE and office?

3) what do you think apple's response should be? should they actively support 3rd party apps? should they acquire these companies now? should they quietly try in-house development on a new browser and office suite?

ideas....?

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: koffedrnkr ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I think it'll be a lot longer before Microsoft feels threatened to the extent that they simply disband their Mac Business Unit. Apple would need to start eating up near 20% of MS' marketshare, and that's almost never going to happen; people are simply too ignorant, uninformed, and apathetic to consider non-Windows choices, no matter how strong Apple's offerings are at the time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    "Fact: It can?t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date."

---www.apple.com/myths

sounds friendly, doesn't it? microsoft only promised to make mac products through this year. i agree the MBU has done an excellent job and they're profitable...but if unix developers and users start embracing OSX, apple may quickly become a bigger target and they'd be compelled to do something....something besides ripping OSX off, of course ; )
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Purchase Omniweb, and make Appleworks 7 the bizzomb.

What else could they do, really?

That having been said, MacBU isn't going away.

SdC
  • Reply 4 of 9
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Rename Appleworks to Microsoftt Offfice and continue on like nothing happened. And I'm sure Apple could whip together a nice browser in very little time. And they've already got huge support for Java 2, so that would be one less thing to worry about when making their browser.

Or they could just do what they did with Snapz Pro X and license a whole bunch of copies of OmniWeb and have them be the default browser.

I honestly don't think it would matter a whole lot if Microsoft dropped Mac support.

However, it won't happen. Even Microsoft is strictly a profit-seeking company. As long as the MBU stays mostly profitable, they will continue to exist. Holding grudges in business is a Bad Idea.

And besides, if Microsoft DID kill Apple off, who would be left for them to copy?

-Ender
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Kevin Browne said the MBU would be around as long as there's money to be made.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Ender:

<strong>Rename Appleworks to Microsoftt Offfice and continue on like nothing happened. And I'm sure Apple could whip together a nice browser in very little time. And they've already got huge support for Java 2, so that would be one less thing to worry about when making their browser.

Or they could just do what they did with Snapz Pro X and license a whole bunch of copies of OmniWeb and have them be the default browser.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MWAAAA HAHAHAHAHAA!!!

Wooo HOO HOO HAA!!

AAAAAH HEE HAA HAAHAAHAA!!

Man, you're funny. That gave me a good laugh.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    IE going away is not a problem, there are plenty of good, if not better, alternatives.

Stopping Office dev would land them an anti-trust trial, again.

There is no risk for all of that to happen. Apple could, however, by year's end, start aiming its marketting directly at Wintel users etc. again, once the agreement is out. They could also develop a web browser, since they're not bound not to anymore. I've also got a feeling OmniWeb could be default by year's end on new Macs...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    If the Mac version of Office is making money, what would be the point? It would cost them profits and it wouldn't immeidiately improve their business. The current copies of office could be passed on for at least a couple years a la Word Perfect, before they got to be too out of date to use. If they got out, would it take more than a couple years for someone else to pick upi their business with a compatible product?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Microsoft has a couple million Mac people to stiff every time it introduces a new Office. If they charged for IE, then they would have little reason to drp Mac dvelopment. Considering they CHARGE Windblows users for the privleiege of having an integrated browser in their OS... :