Creating PDFs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement for Acrobat to create PDFs? I need the flexibility to insert and delete pages to create documents in PDF format, but acrobat keeps making my files enormous. Are there any alternatives?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    On a Mac?... Any application that can print can make a PDF ... iWork (Pages, Numbers, etc.), Text Edit, MS Office, browsers, Preview, and on and on.....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

On a Mac?... Any application that can print can make a PDF ... iWork (Pages, Numbers, etc.), Text Edit, MS Office, browsers, Preview, and on and on.....

But this is what he said he needed: "I need the flexibility to insert and delete pages to create documents in PDF format"
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Yes, thanks Royboy. I've looked at PDFPen - but it looks like there some major stability issues and the demo version I downloaded crashes frequently. Has anyone used it? Any suggestions on similar applications?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post

...but acrobat keeps making my files enormous.

...and that's likely a good thing because it's preserving source quality. What you probably want to do in Acrobat is go to "Advanced-->PDF Optimizer...". Here you can adjust many options for reducing the file size output.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

But this is what he said he needed: "I need the flexibility to insert and delete pages to create documents in PDF format"

All that can be done in pages ... then "Print as PDF" whenever you need to distribute. If he actually needs to WORK in PDF format, then you may be beholden to Adobe.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I use this software for editing PDF pages:

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/Fr...binePDFs.shtml

I haven't had any problems with it but I don't do PDF editing that much.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    You can use Preview to add and remove PDF pages.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Actually.

Using Preview, could someone explain to me the quickest and easiest way to make a several page PDF out of several images. Thanks.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member

Print images to PDF.

Or did you mean select a few pages out of a PDF and save as a new file?

Open the Thumbnail drawer. Select the pages. Hit Cmd-C. Hit Cmd-N. Hit Cmd-S.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually.

Using Preview, could someone explain to me the quickest and easiest way to make a several page PDF out of several images. Thanks.

This app should let you turn images into a PDF:

http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/products/pleng/pleng.html