Anyone waiting for something better?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As a consumer we always want the newest and better product. Well I have been questioning myself lately as to if I should wait a couple months before purchasing the iphone. One side of me says "Get the phone its badass" but the other side says "there will be something better coming down the road" I think that other companies are pushing themselves to come out with something great or something similar to the iphone. And if I buy the iphone now and let’s say next month something better comes out its going to hurt. I was just wondering if anyone is also waiting for something better?

---------

JeanSanchez

http://ps3locker.com

http://appledealz.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    I have a V1 iPhone and love it, but I am waiting for a better iPhone the 3G is improved in many ways but I think the next version will be much better then the current 3g version. It may take another year for it to be released but I can wait for it because my V1 iPhone works just great! and I see no reason to make the upgrade at this point.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    That's just a fact of life for technology consumers, especially in a market segment as saturated as cellphones.

That said, if the iPhone interests you, now probably is a good time. An upgrade isn't likely for another year, and while there are look-alikes, nothing else hits the same target, or is even all that close.

Any other phone will just be "This season's hottest look! (with a two-year contract...)"
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeanpierre View Post

As a consumer we always want the newest and better product. Well I have been questioning myself lately as to if I should wait a couple months before purchasing the iphone. One side of me says "Get the phone its badass" but the other side says "there will be something better coming down the road" I think that other companies are pushing themselves to come out with something great or something similar to the iphone. And if I buy the iphone now and let’s say next month something better comes out its going to hurt. I was just wondering if anyone is also waiting for something better?

---------

JeanSanchez

You could be waiting the rest of your life! If you are interested in getting an Iphone - then get one and when they come out with a better one - get that one also!

I am not familiar with the V1 mentioned - but being a complete Apple addict and having borrowed a Cingular 8525 from a friend - I just can't imagine anyone coming up with a user experience even close to what Apple has achieved. The OS for the 8525 is a joke. I had to download the manual - and sort through at least three sub menus just to get the thing connected to a wi-fi network and that took an hour to figure out. Just a joke! I never did get it to play a video. I would never want a phone like that. Consider what you are paying for and what kind of use you will get from the device...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeanpierre View Post

As a consumer we always want the newest and better product. Well I have been questioning myself lately as to if I should wait a couple months before purchasing the iphone. One side of me says "Get the phone its badass" but the other side says "there will be something better coming down the road" I think that other companies are pushing themselves to come out with something great or something similar to the iphone. And if I buy the iphone now and let?s say next month something better comes out its going to hurt. I was just wondering if anyone is also waiting for something better?

---------

JeanSanchez

I'm gonna agree with Gizmo on this one. If you have an iPhone and like it, don't waste your money and wait a year. If you don't have an iPhone, now is as good of time as any.

Steve
  • Reply 5 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Methinks you guys are replying to a spammer, and even quoting his spam links for extra fail.

Bonus points to him for a reasonably well targeted and coherent post, but the signs are pretty strong nevertheless. No, I did not click the links.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    contegnicontegni Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog© View Post

I am not familiar with the V1 mentioned - but being a complete Apple addict and having borrowed a Cingular 8525 from a friend - I just can't imagine anyone coming up with a user experience even close to what Apple has achieved. The OS for the 8525 is a joke. I had to download the manual - and sort through at least three sub menus just to get the thing connected to a wi-fi network and that took an hour to figure out. Just a joke! I never did get it to play a video. I would never want a phone like that. Consider what you are paying for and what kind of use you will get from the device...

The Cingular 8525 was my phone before I bought the iPhone last year. I just hated it. It was really cool, and seemed like a powerful device but it was EXTREMELY hard to use. The OS was terrible with constant freezing and crashing. I was thrilled with the iPhone when I first got it and saw how great it worked and how easy it was to use.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I used to ask myself that but have come to the realization that if I have the money and want it bad enough, I should just get it and enjoy it

If something newer comes along in a few months, you still with the hand you are given and if it means upgrading then, so be it
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Yeah Right now I have the SonyEricsson w580. I like it, its nice but I really want a phone with good internet features. So far the iphone seems to be the top on internet. I might just get it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    just another gripe --better power management for the iphone, i should have one button that turns off 3g, network, bluetooth without having to go to several screen. power management button that gives me options, 2g network, no bluetooth, 3g, no bluetooth, no network etc.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I think waiting for a better phone is like waiting for a better iPod. A company can create a phone that looks quite impressive in a bullet list, but when it comes to actual execution and the pleasure of using the device, they've gone from playing in a balanced market to groveling at the feet of a giant. I never even liked phones before...

If someone is interested in getting the iPhone I would suggest they head down to a store and play with it for a solid while. See how it lives up to their expectations. As a person might expect the picture of a device like this is warped on the internet because it is the people who are having trouble that possess the loudest voice. Everyone I know who has a 3G loves it and the greatest problems they ever really deal with are along the lines of third party apps crashing (along with the normal concerns, such as MMS). If the phone in a store doesn't live up to your expectations, hold off.

I'm glad I got mine. I usually wait quite a while. I waited years to upgrade my G4 to a Mac Pro and even bought a Mac Mini in the middle to hold me over. This is one buying decision I don't regret.

@NOFEER: Yeah, better power management would be nice.

Not sure I want another button, but I would like extended and accessible options.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    If you want it , just purchase! At least you will be happy for some time.....

I love Moyea produts, especially their Flash Video MX Pro , so i buy and enjoy it,

it is really a great experience of using Flash Video MX Pro ....
  • Reply 12 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I have a V1 iPhone and love it, but I am waiting for a better iPhone the 3G is improved in many ways but I think the next version will be much better then the current 3g version. It may take another year for it to be released but I can wait for it because my V1 iPhone works just great! and I see no reason to make the upgrade at this point.

I'm in this boat too. Plus, I want to see if Apple will permanently activate / unlock my v1 iPhone once my 2 year contract is complete.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    twanlotwanlo Posts: 3member
    I have a first gen iphone and can hold out for the next gen iphone (3rd gen). We don't even have 3G service up here, so besides having GPS it's a moot point. I'm hoping they include haptics feedback in the next version. I'd love to see what app developers would do to utilize haptics. It'd be like a dualshock PS controller.

But, yeah, if you don't have one now would be a good time to pick one up... except for the long wait in line.

On another note. It's totally annoying that people keep calling the current iphone the 3rd generation iphone. Everyone is confusing the term "3G" with "3rd generation". Everytime I search for forums or speculations on the 3rd generation iphone I keep getting inept articles written by people who confuse the two. Argh... just a gripe.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    I'll get an iPhone when I don't have to pick it up to dial it when I'm on the freeway.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    macaloymacaloy Posts: 104member
    I would be surprised if Apple releases something non-3G next year. Still too early for a 4G phone by several years if even that.

I wasn't even sure Apple was going to release 3.0 but apparently I was shouted down and called all sorts of names when I said that because apparently it already is a GIVEN according to some on MacRumors so I will take their word

I am hoping that the newer iPhone has some significant hardware upgrades on battery/reception and some 3G upgrades tower wise though that of course wont be a 3.0 upgrade
  • Reply 16 of 16
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Two words for you.

Uh

NO!