RIM's iPhone rival rumored for October with Rhapsody tie-in

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Not at the same level as RIM and MS are doing. Big difference there. Arguing that Apple does not innovate and produces products with similar MO as these guys is just plain silly.

I'm not saying that Apple does not innovate because that would be ridiculous.

But what exactly is RIM copying or as someone else states- "stealing"?

The ability to play music on a phone- HA!

A phone with no buttons- Ha again!

The can't touch the iPhone's software and certainly won't steal mobileMe- so please elaborate.

BTW since when did Apple invent the phone?

I suppose Alexander Graham Bell stole that from them too-
  • Reply 22 of 75
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Is it a product marketed for business use? Unlike Apple, other companies do have different products for business and consumer markets. RIM is rightfully chasing the consumer market here, how well it works is up to the market. You also have to keep in mind that even Apple says things which get contradicted later when they release a product.

RIM appears to be just adding another phone to its line unlike Apple which only has one. The would be more of an entertainment (toy) like the iPhone rather than a business tool like a Blackberry.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The can't touch the iPhone's software and certainly won't steal mobileMe- so please elaborate.

Me.com has been about as succesful as Vista. It hasn't worked consistently since day 1 of the face lift and has been one blunder after another.

Notice you don't see the I'm a Mac I'm a PC commercials anymore.

Apple has their own Vista with Me.com and it is not a thing of beauty.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    Copy the iPnone?

I think Al Gore invented the IDEA of a touch screen back in '84 when the Mac 128k was first introduced. He didn't know what the mouse was for but did try to move the icons around with his fingers!

iPhone 2009 clone sales equation.

RIM=SqRoot of 16,000,000

e.g. 80% market share for _____
  • Reply 25 of 75
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Actually, icfireball, yes . . . lots of it here. Having been at the forefront of innovation and pioneering new technologies for the past 25 years, I have very--VERY--little tolerance for those who will not acknowledge when a new approach or idea flies in their faces.

Still, I agree with ic, I think you sound overly angry.

iPhone is not the first handheld device to go without a physical keyboard. It's not even the first phone to go without a physical keyboard.

Can you elaborate on what you said you have been innovating in the last quarter century?
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidnowsGuy View Post

Except me.com is very young and Apple will clean it up in short order.

Vista is not a small blunder. And it will take considerably more effort to clean up.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Actually, icfireball, yes . . . lots of it here. Having been at the forefront of innovation and pioneering new technologies for the past 25 years, I have very--VERY--little tolerance for those who will not acknowledge when a new approach or idea flies in their faces. Research in Motion has been more than a little "haughty" (to understate the situation) since Apple introduced the iPhone touch keyboard, denegrating it at every twist and turn of their press releases. NOBODY WILL WANT THAT, they screamed. HOW STUPID, they ejaculated. And yet here they are doing everything in their power to roll out an exact (or almost) copy of the iPhone's best features. What bloated egos Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis have! Steve Ballmer must be so proud of them. Truth is, however, that hubris is always rewarded with a mighty fall. It couldn't happen to two "nicer" guys here.

Gee, that sounds just like jobs!

It's exactly what he does when he wants to hold back sales of products Apple doesn't make. And then what does he do? He comes out with competing products.

How often did he say that watching video on a portable music player was stupid? Several times.

What do you expect a company to do?

Tell the fanboy in yourself to calm down.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If you need someone to explain to you the difference and what constitutes IP violations, then your being lazy and do not have the capacity to differentiate the facts. Do some research yourself and figure it out.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by me2 View Post

I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that Apple will be ready to hit RIM with Patent infringement lawsuits. Honestly, how much more obvious can they be with their copy of the iphone?

You may not be a lawyer, but you are apparently an electronics expert.

So tell us which patents RIM is violating, and how.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:

I own and love my iPhone and think that the competition is great.

The fact that every other phone maker out there has slammed the no keyboard approach and has eventually put out a version with no keyboard is nothing but a compliment to Apple. Their negative marketing SHOULD be expected to protect their own sales.

Competition will only make the iPhone a better product and maybe we'll even get copy & paste, turn by turn navigation with GPS and voice calling all of which RIM and many other phone manufacturers have had for years built in without having to buy a application from iTunes to make it happen.

Time to kick it up a notch Apple the competition is catching up!

I agree. When companies like RIM, with a very good reputation, begin to compete closely like this, it does make things better all around.

Hopefully, this will persuade Apple to not come out with new hardware and software that is so buggy. Apple's reputation for quality products is being hit hard lately.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Except me.com is very young and Apple will clean it up in short order.

Vista is not a small blunder. And it will take considerably more effort to clean up.

It's been over a month and it's still not working. I wouldn't call that even in the relm of a succesful launch. We don't know how long it will take them to fix it.

Not to mention the fact that it was advertised as Push service and there has been no date on when that will be fixed in the big Apple Cloud.

The iPhone is a thing of beauty but I'm glad for the competition so Apple will get off its behind and add the basic features that have been considered a must have on phones for years. Give me a break. No voice dialing and I live in California where you must drive hands free.

My 5 year old Motorola V551 had it and RIM has been doing it for years along with turn by turn directions.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Me.com has been about as succesful as Vista. It hasn't worked consistently since day 1 of the face lift and has been one blunder after another.

You mean within 14 days Apple pulled all their advertising? Amazing!

Ludicrous too, of course
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slicedbread View Post

Actually, Apple should sue RIM, and anyone else who markets an iPhone copy. Apple should aggressively protect all patents on functionality developed for the iPhone. They should use all legal means to prevent the kind of theft Microsoft got away with when MS first copied the Mac OS for Windows.

That said, I think Apple has wised up since the early days, and doesn't rely on patents or legal protection to keep their competitive edge. Now, they're focused on staying two steps ahead. So, even if RIM copies the iPhone, and Apple is unable to prevent blatant copying or protect its patents, Apple will still be ahead of RIM and the others because they are already at work on the next generation product. Kind of like the iPod-vs.-Zune battle. By the time MS copies iPod features and gets them into the Zune, Apple has already released new iPods with new features and MS is behind again.

You're kidding, right?

Exactly what would Apple sue for? Which patents are being violated?

Do you know any of this, or is it just misplaced anger that there is competition?

You do realize that Apple's basic iPhone/iTouch icon screen is taken from Palm?

Apple has been patenting more of it's "inventions" as time goes on. Even here, in this bastion of Appledom, there have been complaints that Apple is patenting too much, and suing too much.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I am sure Apple have made a space capsule that travels to Alien worlds. That's how they get their ideas because they are like no one else.

Well it was brought to Steve Jobs in a round-about way. Just like George Lucas and Spielberg (you think they made that stuff up?! ).
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Where is the physical keyboard RIM???

WHERE IS IT?????????????

BUSINESS PEOPLE REQUIRE A KEYBOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh RIM.............................

As you know very well, all of RIMs phones have keyboards, except for this one, which is quite obviously being marketed to consumers, the same people who are buying the majority of Apple's phones.

But, it will still have better business connectivity than the iPhone has now.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Damn RIM job Dingleberry blowtards!
  • Reply 37 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

If you need someone to explain to you the difference and what constitutes IP violations, then your being lazy and do not have the capacity to differentiate the facts. Do some research yourself and figure it out.

Telling him that he has to do the research that you have to do, is worthless.

When you make the accusation, it's your responsibility to back it up.

If you can show where the violations are, then we would listen. But just making unsubstantiated statements proves nothing.

Why don't you tell us which patents are being violated, and why?
  • Reply 38 of 75
    Quote:

It's been over a month and it's still not working. I wouldn't call that even in the relm of a succesful launch. We don't know how long it will take them to fix it.

Not to mention the fact that it was advertised as Push service and there has been no date on when that will be fixed in the big Apple Cloud.

The iPhone is a thing of beauty but I'm glad for the competition so Apple will get off its behind and add the basic features that have been considered a must have on phones for years. Give me a break. No voice dialing and I live in California where you must drive hands free.

My 5 year old Motorola V551 had it and RIM has been doing it for years along with turn by turn directions.

Perhaps you need to be reminded that the launch was on the 11th of THIS month. Today is the 29th. How is it over a month?

Apple has said that the "push" servers will be online in September.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

the competition is catching up!

Yeah, but isn't that always the case?
  • Reply 40 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

The latest Get A Mac ad was released on May 13th. That isn't last shown, that is released. There are still plenty of Get A Mac ads being aired, but Apple is focusing on ads for the iPhone 3G right now, as one would expect. Expect new Get A Mac ads, especially in 2 months when the new MB and MBps should be released and then more for the holiday shopping season.

Plus, I really don't see what the Get A Mac ads have to do with MM.