Apple notebook lines to see major design changes, sources say

Comments

• Reply 141 of 189
    So, should I wait for the new Macbook to come out? Does anybody think there will be a relatively high jump in features and looks to justify waiting until possibly July I've read for it to release? I'm switching to a Mac and want to make sure that if I take the dive now I wont be kicking myself in in June after El Jobso unveils some uber-cool new macbook. Thoughts?

Thank you
  • Reply 142 of 189
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentgett View Post

So, should I wait for the new Macbook to come out? Does anybody think there will be a relatively high jump in features and looks to justify waiting until possibly July I've read for it to release? I'm switching to a Mac and want to make sure that if I take the dive now I wont be kicking myself in in June after El Jobso unveils some uber-cool new macbook. Thoughts?

Thank you

Personally, I'd wait.
  • Reply 143 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

That pretty much indicates that you don't know nothing about Firewire.

For general information:

http://www.1394ta.org/index.html

Latest news:

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2008Press/april/4.8.a.htm

Well, that's true. But it still stands that, given the list of firewire consumer product implementations on the website, the average consumer will not actually encounter firewire on a day-to-day basis as they would USB or bluetooth, as many of the listed products are either higher-end or have features that the consumer would rely on professionals to configure. So, improved firewire spec on the MacBook would be a moot point. The Pro on the other hand, seems as though it could benefit from improved spec.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sonadow View Post

Do you even know what you are talking about?

The Macbook does NOT require removing the case to access the hard disk. Its just

1)Remove battery.

2)Remove L-bracket.

3)Pull out hard disk.

And after the nightmare that is disassembling the entire iBook G4 just to change the hard disk, most of us here expects the ease of accessibility to inner components like RAM and hard disk to be made standard for all of Apple's notebook models.

Dont assume everyone here is rich enough to pay Apple $60+ (exclusing cost of new hard disk) just to change a hard disk.

I never assumed anything about anyone's income brackets.\

But you're right, that was a pretty stupid clout of misinformation.
  • Reply 144 of 189
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

That pretty much indicates that you don't know nothing about Firewire.

For general information:

http://www.1394ta.org/index.html

Latest news:

http://www.1394ta.org/Press/2008Press/april/4.8.a.htm

Just because he isn't a resident expert on Firewire doesn't demean his well-thought out list of trends. At least the dialogue was opened up and added to the overall subject matter.

It is going to be important for Apple to upgrade it's FW ports on their Professional Lines and allow their Consumer lines to be one generation behind.

The fact that we haven't seen much in the news about FireWire is due, in large part, to Apple's relationship/partnership with Intel.

Intel has a vested interest in seeing USB 3 succeeding.

Apple has a vested interest in seeing FireWire succeed without making any direct comparisons to USB 3.

FireWire will make more inroads into Engineering through being the transport for data acquisition devices and much more.

It's not sexy, but it's very useful.
  • Reply 145 of 189
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Just because he isn't a resident expert on Firewire doesn't demean his well-thought out list of trends. At least the dialogue was opened up and added to the overall subject matter.

Waffle911 was the one making "statements" about Firewire:

Quote:

9. Firewire 800/3200? Are you serious? Firewire is a dying breed. It failed to be picked up by the rest of the industry and is now limited in use mostly to Macs...

without knowing much about the subject as he confessed later on.

I simply offer him some basic reading on the subject. That doesn't demean anything, just puts the guy back on track. We were talking about the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, by the way, not consumer electronics or low-end devices...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

It's not sexy, but it's very useful.

Firewire's not sexy? IMO, USB is the utilitarian protocol. Not sexy at all.
  • Reply 146 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brentgett View Post

Thank you

I switched from PCs to Macs a few months ago having had an abortive effort last year when an overheating and failing MBP put me off. I know use a Mac Pro running Bootcamp etc. so I get the best of both worlds. I also got a new MBP when the Penryn update came out only to find that it made an annoying noise due to a fan failure. I sent that back thinking that perhaps I should wait again as the MBPs I've had seemed to be suffering for quality control problems.

I would love to buy a black Macbook pro..where the coating was also protective like Colorware's offering but with a black keyboard. I really think they could also do a much better job of the MBP keyboard and where it is positioned. The keys feel very cheap/plastic compared those keys to the IBM Thinkpad - its keyboard is a joy to type on and the keys feel robust and far superior to the MBP. The keyboard on the MB seems better though, so I might get one of those and wait until September to see how the current hardware refresh goes.

I'll also wait until some of the portable bluray drives drop in price and improve and use an external one..hopefully Apple will be able release a bluray that I can put in the 2nd optical slot in my Mac Pro.
  • Reply 147 of 189
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Dell XPS 1530

Tuxedo Black

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300

Vista Ultimate

15.4" 1920x1200 LED-backlit display

4GB RAM

320GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

Intel Wireless N

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Fingerprint Reader

$1,745

Apple's got some catching up to do on attracting customers at this price point. Let's hope this is accomplished with the new version of the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 148 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maglite View Post

..hopefully Apple will be able release a bluray that I can put in the 2nd optical slot in my Mac Pro.

Why wait for Apple to sell an overpriced drive? If you want one now, buy one now.
  • Reply 149 of 189
    gileshgilesh Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I wonder if Apple is going to remove some of the standard features in the MBP such as the DVD player?

I highly doubt this as the MBP is Apple's 'powerhouse' laptop, and it would be shooting itself in the foot without an optical drive.

I think that it will be quite a few more years before we see the removal of optical drives across the line on the laptops.
  • Reply 150 of 189
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Waffle911 was the one making "statements" about Firewire:

without knowing much about the subject as he confessed later on.

I simply offer him some basic reading on the subject. That doesn't demean anything, just puts the guy back on track. We were talking about the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, by the way, not consumer electronics or low-end devices...

Firewire's not sexy? IMO, USB is the utilitarian protocol. Not sexy at all.

We know FireWire is the sexier protocol and more expansive, but it's uses through non-promotion are making it appear as less sexy.

Perception often belies Reality.
  • Reply 151 of 189
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I know I'm a dinosaur. Everything is supposed to be wireless. I'm supposed to network wirelessly, print wirelessly, back up wirelessly, even KB and mouse wirelessly. I'm supposed to sell or give away my old hardware instead of accumulating 4 external FireWire drives and 2 USB drives. I'll probably go to my grave hoping Apple releases a consumer priced mini tower. C'est la vie.

I'm an evolved dinosaur then. I went from 2 laptop systems from 1998-2006 back to a desktop in 2006. I loved the portability but the trade offs were large at that time. I now have a buying strategy: every 3-5 years I buy a new Mac, in 2001 it was a laptop, 2006 desktop. I'm alternating between laptops and desktops: 2009 laptop, 2012 desktop... until the world ends.

I have ot say Apple has rarely let me down in their designs. The laptops as getting better with each version apple innovates, and those little innovations really add up: mag safe, built in camera, magnetic latch, built in FW 800, each. Leopard has a few GUI problems that Tiger didn't, but it does a lot of things right ]...
  • Reply 152 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Dell XPS 1530

Tuxedo Black

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300

Vista Ultimate

15.4" 1920x1200 LED-backlit display

4GB RAM

320GB 5,400 RPM hard drive

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

Intel Wireless N

Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Fingerprint Reader

$1,745

Apple's got some catching up to do on attracting customers at this price point. Let's hope this is accomplished with the new version of the MacBook Pro.

shit, if only macs had fingerprint readers, apple would have 100% market share.
  • Reply 153 of 189
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnathan View Post

shit, if only macs had fingerprint readers, apple would have 100% market share.

On the back cover of the current issue of MacWorld, there is an advert for a Mac fingerprint reader. Yeah, I know, you were being sarcastic.
  • Reply 154 of 189
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    So...what are the chances the new 17" MacBook Pros will be able to get at least 4 hours of battery life with the screen brightness turned all the way up?

Laptop screens are already so dim compared to desktop screens the way it is, and if I want more than 2 hours of battery life from my first-gen 17" MacBook Pro, I have to run the screen brightness at 50%. How does the currently-optional LED backlit display fair?
  • Reply 155 of 189
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waffle911 View Post

If you give the "chicklet" keyboard enough time to get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

I completely agree. I was in the Apple store today, typing on a Macbook Air. The keyboard is delightfully light and responsive. Although many people like the keyboard on the current Macbook Pro, I find that it is too "soft"?not the sort of keyboard that makes for EMPHATIC writing. It's a silly point to make, I know, but that's how it strikes me. I'll be buying a new Macbook Pro if it comes with the new keyboard.
  • Reply 156 of 189
    Is it safe to assume that both these updates will be shipping by mid July, to accommodate those students in need of a college laptop?
  • Reply 157 of 189
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent View Post

Is it safe to assume that both these updates will be shipping by mid July, to accommodate those students in need of a college laptop?

I'd say that's a safe bet.
  • Reply 158 of 189
    The introduction date on the graphic is wrong for the PowerBook G4 - I got my 17inch PBG4 in January 2003. Time to update your graphic.
  • Reply 159 of 189
    Anyone hear any more info about when these will be released? I am definitely waiting for the refresh to buy, but am getting impatient!!! ;-)