Turn Part Of Drive Into A Patio? Advise, Please!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    wiltwilt Posts: 10member
    I used a product similar to http://www.belgard.biz/shapes-pavers.htm and I am very happy with the results. I also live just outside Oslo where snow and ice is also a challenge, It has been maintenance free for a decade now, except for needing to clear the grass and weeds that like to grow between the bricks. It makes for a nice basketball court, too.

It is also possible to install it yourself. I didn't, but I did help a neighbor with his.

Some design ideas: http://www.pacificpavingstone.com/Ga...driveways.html
  • Reply 22 of 26
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Simplify it... Turn the entire thing into flag stone or something, be sure it can be used to support the weight of cars. Basically convert the driveway into a dual purpose entity a patio when you don't need the room for a car and a car park for when you do...
  • Reply 23 of 26
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Personally, I like the flagstone idea better ... much nicer, and when/if frost heave becomes a problem, it can be re-set with one weekends worth of effort. (Figure every 4-5 years you might have to do this?... and then it'll look brand-new again!)

Put a gutter between those two areas and fill it with golf-ball sized stones to make it level with the rest of the "patio" but it will still work as a drainage path for water (assuming it's graded properly.)

I just prefer something a little "nicer" than concrete myself.

That's exactly why I'm considering this and what I'm considering doing, although I'm thinking that I'll make the gutter out of cement (I'll lay a 6" wide path between the sidewalk and the flag and make it slightly concave with something like a paint can lid). Edit: but the gravel drain would look nice and I may just do that.

But yeah. Frost heave is an issue here, and if I put concrete down, it'll last 10 years before I have to re-do it.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Simplify it... Turn the entire thing into flag stone or something, be sure it can be used to support the weight of cars. Basically convert the driveway into a dual purpose entity a patio when you don't need the room for a car and a car park for when you do...

That is exactly what I'm planning.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fellowship View Post

Patio Heater

Starts frothing at the mouth
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Man, those things grow on trees here in Utah.