Microsoft updates Office 2004 and Office 2008 for Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    jasondjasond Posts: 10member
    I had the same problem installing office: "No version of the software found on volume". This is what I did:

-- Download the update from MS

--Right click on the update file and click "Show Package Contents"

--Navigate to Contents -> Resources

--You need to modify the script: package_updatable. Remove these lines using Text Edit:

if not found_valid_version:

sys.exit(48)

--Save then close. Now it will update.

Don't you LOVE MS?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    wukwuk Posts: 3member
    Encountered "A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume" already at update 12.1.1

Same problem with update 12.1.2

I haven't "stripped" Office 2008. I just used custom install, because I only wanted to install Word and Excel.

MS helpdesk only could recommend to remove everything (program and all settings) from Mac an reinstall and do all updates again....

Shorlty after 12.1.1 a version 12.1.1.1 mpkg appeared on the MS website, which was successfully. This has been removed lateron for unknown reasons.

And now we have the existing problem again with 12.1.2

Also 2004 is much more stable, so my advise: don't buy this upgrade!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonD View Post

I had the same problem installing office: "No version of the software found on volume". This is what I did:

--You need to modify the script: package_updatable. Remove these lines using Text Edit:

sys.exit(48)

Don't you LOVE MS?

I tried this, but it still refuses to install.

I am using a Dutch verion of Office.

Can you help me, what else has to be modified in this file?

Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    It sounds like Office sucks just a little bit less now.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wuk View Post

I tried this, but it still refuses to install.

I am using a Dutch verion of Office.

Can you help me, what else has to be modified in this file?

Thanks.

I'd try totally removing Office (Applications -> Office

2008 -> Additional Tools -> Remove Office) and doing a fresh install. Then try to update using the modified updater I suggested.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:

sys.exit(48)

Don't you LOVE MS?

THANK YOU!!!

Although it didn't work exactly as described, the file system was read only. So I had to Duplicate the package first and then edit the permissions.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infobhan View Post

Yes, it's ridiculous how long this problem has gone on. It makes Office almost unusable in a Spaces environment.

There are some Microsoft apologists on the web that assert that incompatibility with Spaces is so deeply rooted in the foundation of MS's approach to coding Office 2008 that it will not be fixed in the near term, if ever. Check the Office 2008 forums; Word section.

Spaces seems to create some odd behaviors no matter what, especially when apps like Safari are assigned to a specific space.

My mileage varies.

gc
  • Reply 28 of 36
    planktonplankton Posts: 108member
    Thanks—that fixed it.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CraigGrocott View Post

THANK YOU!!!

Although it didn't work exactly as described, the file system was read only. So I had to Duplicate the package first and then edit the permissions.

It is read-only, but Text Edit can still overwrite. For me, Text Edit just gave me a warning message that I was about to overwrite the file. I clicked "Overwrite" and it did no problem.

Anyway, glad it worked.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Thanks, the trick of removing part of that file with text edit worked for me.

I am now updated to 12.1.2
  • Reply 31 of 36
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

sys.exit(48)

Don't you LOVE MS?

Thanks a bunch, this trick did it for me.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I installed the updated for Office 2008, and it does seem that Word loads faster. It used to take almost a minute on my MacBook (latest black model with 4GB of RAM).

The problem I still have with Entourage 2008 is this: every time I wake my MacBook from sleep and Entourage first retrieves e-mail, it time stamps all the e-mail to the current time. So I have no idea when people actually sent the e-mail. This just randomly started happening like two weeks ago and if of course very annoying.

Anyone else have this problem and/or a solution to this problem?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    ukrunrukrunr Posts: 21member
    I bought the 2008 upgrade through the upgrade and rebate offer Microsoft had at the end of last year. I bought the version with expressions media rather than the additional client licenses option.

Initially that came with expressions media v1, which then subsequently broke when v2 came out. Microsoft had allowed for that, and if you already had v1 installed, a subsequent install of v2 trial enabled the full v2 functionality. Great!

Then this latest upgrade comes out, I upgrade and it appears to go fine, no need to textedit anything.

Try and launch expressions media V2 and now I'm told my license key is invalid. I then try and reinstall the V2 trial version like before, and guess what - I am still told that my license key is invalid.

Kind of looks like Microsoft have just removed an application that I paid for with no notice, apologies or anything. IF I'd know this, I'd have chosen the multiple client license option, not the media version, as I really don't use it that much, although it is pretty handy.

Anyone else seen this?

I haven't approached Microsoft yet, as I don't feel like wasting my time unnecessarily. Really would like this to be fixed though.

Does make me pleased as an Apple shareholder though to see the competition do such a poor job repetitively.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ukrunr View Post

I bought the 2008 upgrade through the upgrade and rebate offer Microsoft had at the end of last year. I bought the version with expressions media rather than the additional client licenses option.

Initially that came with expressions media v1, which then subsequently broke when v2 came out. Microsoft had allowed for that, and if you already had v1 installed, a subsequent install of v2 trial enabled the full v2 functionality. Great!

Then this latest upgrade comes out, I upgrade and it appears to go fine, no need to textedit anything.

Try and launch expressions media V2 and now I'm told my license key is invalid. I then try and reinstall the V2 trial version like before, and guess what - I am still told that my license key is invalid.

Kind of looks like Microsoft have just removed an application that I paid for with no notice, apologies or anything. IF I'd know this, I'd have chosen the multiple client license option, not the media version, as I really don't use it that much, although it is pretty handy.

Anyone else seen this?

I haven't approached Microsoft yet, as I don't feel like wasting my time unnecessarily. Really would like this to be fixed though.

Does make me pleased as an Apple shareholder though to see the competition do such a poor job repetitively.

Try erasing 2 Preference files and reset your product key:

Erase these 2 files:

User -> Username -> Library -> Preferences -> Microsoft -> Office 2008 ->Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist

-and-

Applications -> Microsoft Office 2008 -> Office -> OfficePID.plist

Then open any Office application. You'll be prompted for your product key from your install disk.

This MIGHT take care of your problem.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Terrific

after loads of problems upgrading to 12.1.2

(A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume....)

I finally have been able to upgrade to 12.1.2, but

now Word 2008 crashes immediately. Looking at the log it seems to have problems with the Japanse (!) Proofing. Great! I am using a Dutch language version......!

So I did the best anyone can do: I returned MS Office 2008 for Mac to the shop and got my money back

Now I only have to re-install my Office 2004 package, which was working much better anyway.

Info on Word 2008 crash:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Date/Time: 2008-08-14 14:24:18 +0200

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Version: 12.1.2.080729

Crashed Module Name: JapaneseProofing

Crashed Module Version: 12.1.2.080729

Crashed Module Offset: 0x000040e3

Blame Module Name: JapaneseProofing

Blame Module Version: 12.1.2.080729

Blame Module Offset: 0x000040e3

Application LCID: 1043

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0413
  • Reply 36 of 36
    If you are applying the standalone updater please note that 12.1.2 requires 12.1.1 which in turn requires 12.1.0 (SP1), not fulfilling this pre-requisite causes the error message where the update can't find a version to update.

If that's not applicable to you, then there are a couple of reasons why you are seeing the message about not being able to update, if you modified any files in any way (i.e. using applications to remove localized files), then you will have to reinstall from scratch.

If you haven't modified Office, please try this:
    1. If you are applying multiple updates, restart between updates. We have found that the Apple Installer does not always cleanup the temp files used during an update and thus, causing the failure.

2. Did you rename any files or folders? This will prevent the update from finding Office.

3. Did you move the 'Microsoft Office 2008' folder? Moving the folder out of the Applications folder in your partition will cause the installer to fail.

We are keeping an eye on the forums to make sure we are not missing any other scenarios, but so far the ones above have been identified as the main causes. Please read our colleague's blog about this: http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2008/08/...se-bits-alone/

Alejandro Ramirez

Microsoft Mac BU