Apple already padding iPhone 3G supply for second-wave carriers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Yes, but has Apple made any production changes to the iPhone itself? It would be interesting to know if there are either design changes or chip (Quaalcom) changes as a result of experience with the phone so far.

I should hope that Apple have made engineering changes instead of just turning out the same thing with the same problems.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Not sure what you are getting at? I am not a political appointee if that is what you mean. I am just the rank and file salt mine worker.

You answered it. Just curious, thats all.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    Quote:

Not sure what you are getting at? I am not a political appointee if that is what you mean. I am just the rank and file salt mine worker.

Finland is most definitely an exception, if iPhones are not selling. Considering that it is Nokia's home (and Finns are quite rightly quite proud of the company) I bet that the lack of sales has a lot more to do with that than any flaw of the iphone.

For comparison purposes, how well do LG, Samsung, RIM, and other non-Nokia phones sell in Finland? Any data on that would be great.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Finland is most definitely an exception, if iPhones are not selling. Considering that it is Nokia's home (and Finns are quite rightly quite proud of the company) I bet that the lack of sales has a lot more to do with that than any flaw of the iphone.

For comparison purposes, how well do LG, Samsung, RIM, and other non-Nokia phones sell in Finland? Any data on that would be great.

Nokia is home to Finns but they are also practical. They will easily by a Nokia and have an iPhone. The problem is that the iPhone is locked even after paying ?519.00. This is what is pissing off the Finns. They are not used to this and are very proud of their cell technology and the fact that they are arguably the most advanced when it comes to mobiles and mobile services. They see the locking of a fully paid for phone as archaic. It will be interesting to see how things play out in the next few months. I have a sneaking suspicion that the phones will be unlocked in six months. Just my guess, but you never know. By the way, I see quite many SE, LG, and a few Samsung. Can't recall seeing and RIM here.

@aplnub,

I just go with the flow dude. In State you learn to have an opinion of no opinion if you catch my drift.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Singapore and others are expected to give the iPhone away for free for customers of certain plans, according to AppleInsider's sources."

Holy crap!!! I'm moving to Singapore!
  • Reply 26 of 59
    We in Sweden have Sony Ericsson / Ericsson but people are buying iPhones like crazy anyway. Telia Sonera (the provider) can not get enough of them.

But then I have not met many people that are very fond of their SE P990, M600 or P1i.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

"Singapore and others are expected to give the iPhone away for free for customers of certain plans, according to AppleInsider's sources."

LOL dude, the UK (that is teh Englandia) has iPhone3Gs free on about £45 a month contracts, and so on. And only 18 months, not the two year a**-raping that one has to take from AT&T.
  • Reply 28 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

LOL dude, the UK (that is teh Englandia) has iPhone3Gs free on about £45 a month contracts, and so on. And only 18 months, not the two year a**-raping that one has to take from AT&T.

Two years is the standard contract in the US. Nothing specific to AT&T.
  • Reply 29 of 59
    dofodofo Posts: 7member
    I think India will be bigger than some of you think. I do a lot of work over there (I work with a US based tech company), and the pay for skilled and educated workers is going up 15 - 20 % annually, and this has been going on for at least the last 5 years. There are many folks who can afford this, especially those who are 1st level managers or higher - they make good money and are the target for the iPhone. Sure, there are millions of poor, but there are millions of middle to upper class too.

dofo
  • Reply 30 of 59
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dofo View Post

I think India will be bigger than some of you think. I do a lot of work over there (I work with a US based tech company), and the pay for skilled and educated workers is going up 15 - 20 % annually, and this has been going on for at least the last 5 years. There are many folks who can afford this, especially those who are 1st level managers or higher - they make good money and are the target for the iPhone. Sure, there are millions of poor, but there are millions of middle to upper class too.

dofo

The combined population of India and China is supposedly eight times that of the U.S.
  • Reply 31 of 59
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    Quote:

...They are not used to this and are very proud of their cell technology and the fact that they are arguably the most advanced when it comes to mobiles...

I had a Nokia phone once, it was a piece of junk. After several months of light use a few of the buttons stopped working! I guess that's something to be proud of? That's when I decided to get an iPhone... was able to get rid of my laptop, iPod and cell phone. Couldn't be happier!
  • Reply 32 of 59
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    Quote:

Other than possibly being stuck at the current monthly fee for all that time, I don't see what the big deal is about having to sign a two year contract!? I would think most people plan on still using a cell phone after two years. I've had my iPhone for almost a year already and can't imagine why I would want to upgrade to a different phone or a different plan or different carrier for that matter. Everything has worked great so far. [knock on wood]
  • Reply 33 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

So is 3 in Hong Kong, so are some of the carriers downunder in Australia, Nothing here to see, just be prepared to pay about USD$1,000.00 more or less depending over your 2 year contract for the so call top level more expensive plan.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I had a Nokia phone once, it was a piece of junk. After several months of light use a few of the buttons stopped working! I guess that's something to be proud of? That's when I decided to get an iPhone... was able to get rid of my laptop, iPod and cell phone. Couldn't be happier!

One bad phone compared with tens of MILLIONS sold, and the #1 phone maker in the world. I think Nokia is safe and can afford to no longer have you as a customer. Just my opinion. Enjoy your iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    Quote:

Other than possibly being stuck at the current monthly fee for all that time, I don't see what the big deal is about having to sign a two year contract!? I would think most people plan on still using a cell phone after two years. I've had my iPhone for almost a year already and can't imagine why I would want to upgrade to a different phone or a different plan or different carrier for that matter. Everything has worked great so far. [knock on wood]

Fair enough. However, for myself and for quite a percentage of people nowadays, we don't *do contracts* as far as possible.

I'm not a fugitive from the law or anything like that (well, not yet, anyway) but my life is too "active" to be tied down...

Maybe it's just because I move around a lot. I've spent at least a few months, sometimes years, in... Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, San Francisco, London... in the past 15 years or so.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    Quote:

Some like me go through phones. In the past year alone I have had 3 iPhones (1st Gen 8 & 16 gig, and now the 2nd Gen 16 gig), I have had no less than 5 Nokia's (E90, E51, E61, N95, N81, N82 - my current Nokia). As, Nvidia2008 pointed out, some of us travel quite a bit and having the option to use different SIM cards is useful for us.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    Quote:

For most people, once you use an iPhone, just like once you use a Mac, for the most part, you can't go back.

I sold my gaming WinXP PC about a month ago, and I was just fiddling with Bootcamp the other day, and I was blown away by how different (and crazy) Windows is.

If I am feeling really "in withdrawal" or something from not playing any games, hopefully a bit of iPhone game action will keep my addiction in check.

My SonyE v600i has served me well. But even trying to surf some WAP page, it's like, WTF. Was/is this supposed to be the best of the mobile Internet? Apple opened up a massive can of whoop ass on all these other mobile companies.

I've ran 3 times this week using runkeeper.com to track my runs. It's what finally I can use for tracking my runs, not having to worry about dongles and shoe sensors, etc. Maybe a bluetooth heart rate monitor or something, with some audio cues, and I don't know how much it can improve, other than full on cybernetic optical implants, "3D virtual integrated landscape projection" and so on...
  • Reply 38 of 59
    Quote:

For most people, once you use an iPhone, just like once you use a Mac, for the most part, you can't go back.

I sold my gaming WinXP PC about a month ago, and I was just fiddling with Bootcamp the other day, and I was blown away by how different (and crazy) Windows is.

If I am feeling really "in withdrawal" or something from not playing any games, hopefully a bit of iPhone game action will keep my addiction in check.

My SonyE v600i has served me well. But even trying to surf some WAP page, it's like, WTF. Was/is this supposed to be the best of the mobile Internet? Apple opened up a massive can of whoop ass on all these other mobile companies.

I've ran 3 times this week using runkeeper.com to track my runs. It's what finally I can use for tracking my runs, not having to worry about dongles and shoe sensors, etc. Maybe a bluetooth heart rate monitor or something, with some audio cues, and I don't know how much it can improve, other than full on cybernetic optical implants, "3D virtual integrated landscape projection" and so on...

I use both. For some things the Nokia's are much better than the iPhone and vice versa. It depends on the situation.

For training, I use a Garmin Forerunner 405. Nothing better on the market.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

And let's not forget Plastic Bertrand.

On the plus side though, they've the best beer in the world and no "probably" about it.

I used to watch Top of the Pops as a kid. I have a bunch downloaded from between 1980 to 1983.

I won't deny that they have many great beers, but I am partial to Guinness.
  • Reply 40 of 59
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I used to watch Top of the Pops as a kid. I have a bunch downloaded from between 1980 to 1983.

I won't deny that they have many great beers, but I am partial to Guinness.

Have you ever had an original Budwar? I no longer partake in alcohol but I am sure you will like this.