Virtual Consoles in OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to have virtual consoles while in console mode in OS X like Linux has (in Linux, you press CTRL-ALT-F1 through F7, where F7 is the graphics console)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>Is there a way to have virtual consoles while in console mode in OS X like Linux has (in Linux, you press CTRL-ALT-F1 through F7, where F7 is the graphics console)?</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000328"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000328,</a> that what you where thinking?

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: KrazyFool ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by KrazyFool:

<strong>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000328"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi? ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000328,</a> that what you where thinking?

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: KrazyFool ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not quite. What I was thinking is virtual consoles, so you could have more than one console at the same time, switching between them. (the console you have to login as &gt;console to get to). Linux already has this, so I was wondering if there was a way to do it in OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Why don't you open multiple terminal windows? Aren't virutal consoles only available in text mode?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    virtual consoles would be great for when the window server decides to die on you. you could switch to a different tty and kill the window server process without doing it remotely.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    hey kHack, type xinit -- :1 (or :2 or :3) to have multiple X sessions in linux. Right now I am logged in as root in Fluxbox and as myself in Gnome.

use ctrl-opt-F7 and F8 to switch back and forth.

You might want to edit your /home/you/.xinitrc to launch a useful window manager

ie add:

aterm &

bbpager -w &

bbsload -w &

exec fluxbox

or whatever.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>hey kHack, type xinit -- :1 (or :2 or :3) to have multiple X sessions in linux. Right now I am logged in as root in Fluxbox and as myself in Gnome.

You might want to edit your /home/you/.xinitrc to launch a useful window manager

ie add:

aterm &

bbpager -w &

bbsload -w &

exec fluxbox

or whatever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Kewl - thanks! Do you know how to get more TTY's too?
  • Reply 7 of 10

<strong>hey kHack, type xinit -- :1 (or :2 or :3) to have multiple X sessions in linux. Right now I am logged in as root in Fluxbox and as myself in Gnome.

ie add:

aterm &

bbpager -w &

bbsload -w &

exec fluxbox

or whatever.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How did you get Gnome working in OS X??? (When I use it, I just boot into Yellow Dog Linux :cool
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I didn't... That's a linux command.

BTW, as a useless aside, you can specify the VC by adding an extra arguement:

startx -- :2 vt9 starts a virtual console on ctrl-opt-F9 instead of the default 8

Handy if you already have a MOL session on VC8

as for TTYs, you have a fixed amount (1-6) 7+ are reserved for X sessions.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 10

<strong>I didn't... That's a linux command.

BTW, as a useless aside, you can specify the VC by adding an extra arguement:

startx -- :2 vt9 starts a virtual console on ctrl-opt-F9 instead of the default 8

Handy if you already have a MOL session on VC8

as for TTYs, you have a fixed amount (1-6) 7+ are reserved for X sessions.

[ 02-17-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No - I'm talking about console mode in OS X. I am already familiar with how virtual consoles work in Yellow Dog Linux, since I have another linux box (or should I say, K'NEX Cube).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>virtual consoles would be great for when the window server decides to die on you. you could switch to a different tty and kill the window server process without doing it remotely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I must be living in another world. I have never had the window server die nor have I ever experiecned a kernel panic or system lockup with OSX. Even when I was running the Public Beta I never had problems..