Study points to network weakness as source of iPhone 3G woes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Are you saying Apple didn't admit there was a problem with the phone? You sure you are not here with a bias for Apple?

I know- right? Watch out you'll be attacked by ABster2core next!

And didn't Apple just post an update to fix iPhone 3G connection problems? 2.0.2????
  • Reply 22 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: Why isn't anyone posting their speeds?

When I did the test that for the wired survey I got 845K/s download and nearly 200K/s upload for 3G (I don't remember the exact number).

It sounds like the dutch and germans are having a lot more fun - but I'm happy enough for the moment.
  • Reply 23 of 114
    I've got a good friend at Apple who works on the iPhone wireless hardware and he was telling me that it's a network issue and not an Apple issue. There are probably a combination of issues that aren't helping, but my guess is that Apple's hardware is pretty standard stuff when it comes to 3G.
  • Reply 24 of 114
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I think that Apple/AT&T are in blame dispersal mode with a little Infineon sprinkled in for ever flavor. Apple would hate a recall and Infineon knows that the crap about their chips being in other phones and working ok is bull. While the chips might be working ok in other phones, these phones are not under the performance burden the iPhone is saddled with nor does it have to do as much. So the Infineon story is just that, a story. I still think Apple could have caught most of these problems with better testing. They took a chip, dropped it in and it was blessed ready to rock and roll.

I haven't really heard Apple blame anyone. They haven't said much of anything about the issue or its potential causes.

As far as the Infineon chip. That was only ever unspeculated rumor with no evidence to back it up. So far tests conducted on the iPhone have shown no results that point towards the wireless chip to being any problem.
  • Reply 25 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Yes Apple did admit their were about 2% of phones that suffered from 3G problems. I wouldn't doubt their are likely some other bugs to work out. So to be fair their may be problems on both ends. One poster in the UK reported his iPhone received no 3G while other phones could because O2 does not yet have HSDPA in his area.

Accusing Wired Magazine of being paid off by Apple because its results were favorable towards Apple without any evidence is far over the line of extremely biased conjecture.

Where is 2% mentioned in this thread?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...3g_issues.html
  • Reply 26 of 114
    Quote:

1) PS: Why isn't anyone posting their speeds?

I pretty much only use EDGE and WiFi. There have been 3G numbers posted from NYC.
  • Reply 27 of 114
    vinzdvinzd Posts: 2member
    Quote:

What is the data price? The iPhone's $20/month fee was well below the other unlimited/unlimited plans at the time which averaged around $40-$45/month. I had hoped that the mandatory data package would help keep it cheaper than other phones but I was wrong. Still, I don't think $30/month is too much.

I have a 49 ? including taxes (about 72 $) plan, which is the cheapest iPhone specific plan and includes :

- Unlimited data and visual voicemail,

- 50 SMS

- 10 hour of Orange Wifi hotspot

- 120 min + 120 mins evening and week-ends for outgoing calls (incoming phone calls are free and unlimited).
  • Reply 28 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where is 2% mentioned in this thread?

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...3g_issues.html

Are you saying because Apple Insider didn't write it in a story, that means Apple never said it?
  • Reply 29 of 114
    Remember the first Edge iPhone's reception problems? Apple blamed AT&T- AT&T blamed Apple. Then it turned out that the Edge iPhone itself was not very good in its speaker/mike deparment. We shall see who is to blame this time- much too early now and too much reputation at stake.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Are you saying because Apple Insider didn't write it in a story, that means Apple never said it?

Well if it was as small as YOu claim - I believe it would be mentioned. So why not post/back up your source rather than give sarcastic answers?
  • Reply 32 of 114
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinzD View Post

I have a 49 ? including taxes (about 72 $) plan, which is the cheapest iPhone specific plan and includes :

- Unlimited data and visual voicemail,

- 50 SMS

- 10 hour of Orange Wifi hotspot

- 120 min + 120 mins evening and week-ends for outgoing calls (incoming phone calls are free and unlimited).

YIPES !!

I get 500 mins voice, 500 SMS, unlimited data ( no caps) guaranteed data rate of 1 mb/s all for ?51 Euro. Finland is wired with wifi all over but for the most part, I use 3G for everything unless I want to use VoIP.
  • Reply 33 of 114
    dcdttudcdttu Posts: 25member
    I can say that the network plays a role in some of the issues, but when my iPhone struggles to keep a 3G signal and is often on EDGE right next to my friends' Samsung and Nokia phones which are on full 3G the entire time, something is definitely wrong with the my phone.

Network speeds aside, I just want my phone to get a 3G signal! I'm only on 3G 20% of the time in Austin, TX. My friends with non-iPhones are on 3G almost 100% of the time.... That's not a network issue. That's a phone issue.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

Network speeds aside, I just want my phone to get a 3G signal! I'm only on 3G 20% of the time in Austin, TX. My friends with non-iPhones are on 3G almost 100% of the time.... That's not a network issue. That's a phone issue.

It could be the phone but not necessarily.

There are different types of UMTS 3G. Its possible the type those other phones use has good coverage and the type the iPhone uses has poor coverage.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Well if it was as small as YOu claim - I believe it would be mentioned. So why not post/back up your source rather than give sarcastic answers?

Here you go...

From Businessweek Online

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...813_430402.htm

From a purported response from Steve Jobs to an e-mail sent to him about 3G issues...

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/18/...ware-fix-soon/

and from AppleInsider themselves...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...september.html
  • Reply 36 of 114
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I can say that the network plays a role in some of the issues, but when my iPhone struggles to keep a 3G signal and is often on EDGE right next to my friends' Samsung and Nokia phones which are on full 3G the entire time, something is definitely wrong with the my phone.

Are all of you using the same carrier and thus the same network? If not, just curious what network your friends have for the better 3G for future reference. - thanks
  • Reply 37 of 114
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    I work about 1000 feet from a tower which I think must be AT&T's. When I point the back of my phone at it, I get 4 bars of 3G goodness (5 if I am in line of sight). When I point the side of my phone at it I get 2 bars. But no matter which way I orient the phone I get approx. 1750 Kbps download and 122 Kbps upload. Edge is much slower. I get 212 and 48 Kbps respectively.

I've seen other people bragging about the 1000 Kbps they get out of their brand x 3G phones. If that is the gold standard then at least I am doing alright.

I am convinced based on the reading I have done that the iPhone hardware is not the problem. People have put the phone in isolating test equipment and seen little difference between the iPhone and other phone models as far as signal levels go. I am much more inclined to blame dropped calls on poor 3G to Edge transition issues, and poor data performance on signal overloading and generally weak network coverage.

About the only thing Apple can do is step on Infineon (or possibly their own engineers) and get the 3G to Edge transition problems fixed. The rest is up to AT&T to get their coverage more complete and to increase the data capacity of their existing towers in metro areas.

For what it's worth I am in the South East and somewhat doubtful that I am competing for bandwidth with many other users. That's probably why my data rates are particularly good.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

Bullsh!t

wonder how much Apple paid these clowns to say this..?

1/ Apple have already said there is a problem with 3g on the iPhone.

2/ I can have 2 different handsets on the same network, 5 yards apart. The iPhone will have no service and the other one will have 3 or 4 bars.!!

How stupid do they think we are?

reception overall, regardless of protocol used is substandard on iPhone in my experience.

Apple... head in the sand much??

Have you ever worked in the backbone for AT&T Wireless, ala Cingular, ala AT&T?

It's a problem for them Both. Both that Apple had to help them build the Network and both that AT&T still carries that name knowing damn well the technical expertise it once owned is long gone.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Have you guys ruled out case interferences on different phones?

I see it as both a Network Design flaw and iPhone software problem.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, well, well... this little Wired experiment should go a long way toward combatting that lawsuit against Apple.