Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    The thing about confirmation of an iPod hardware refresh is the fact that retailers are starting to run short of inventory of various iPod models. I haven't heard ANYTHING about running out of inventory of 6G iPod classic or 3G iPod nano models lately, so I'm not sure what's going on.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Apple under Steve rarely does ugly -

The rendering above has direct USB - this will never happen - Apple makes too much money from their proprietary connector.

The Lanyard is not currently not apart of any product recently made by Apple (please correct me if i am wrong) does the Shuffle have a Lanyard - I don't know

The curved plastic or glass on top of a flat screen would be hard to manufacture without causing optical issues. Thick Glass would make it top heavy. The overall effect would stray significantly from assumed Steve's "keep it simple + elegant" design philosophy.

The device as rendered would not rest in the hand easily, it is "sharp" or "pointy" might even tear a hole in in a fabric pocket over time. I assume Steve approved designs are easy to touch and hold to such an extreme that they are a bit "Slippy"

Microsoft would do well to consider the purported 3D rendering for the Zune as it would be a significant improvement and I'm sure the Windows Geeks would love the crass'ness

love to know what you think : [email protected]
  • Reply 23 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This guy thinks awfully highly of himself. I remember seeing him on the old TechTV channel. I doubt anything he says is true. Wow..what a prediction...iTunes 8. The number 8 is the number after 7. I wonder how he came up with that.

In all fairness, the point in predicting an update is the when, not the number.

Quote:

Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen. Nothing else will change with the Nano's features. The iPhone and iPod Touch still can't display widescreen video properly. It is like watching a non-anamorphic DVD on a Widescreen TV. Zooming the video to fill the screen severely crops the left and right sides. Standard Widescreen DVD's (1.85:1) are not so bad, but 2.35:1 DVD's suffer greatly. I have tried using the anamorphic settings in Handbrake, but the video still looks like a non-anamorphic transfer on the iPhone.

I think you're really reaching here. The only way to properly display a widescreen video is to have the screen be the exact same ratio? For movies, screens have rarely matched the video, most often either one or the other is sacrificed. I don't think there are a whole lot of 16:9 screens in that general size anyway, I think the one device I know of uses a screen made by Sony for their PSP, who don't seem to be able to make one without a stuck pixel.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    on September 16 or sometime during that week, there is almost no way Apple would make such an event so close to the back to school promo.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The rumor is that the Nano will grow a wide screen. Who cares.

WTF!?
  • Reply 26 of 57
    This is great news. I am looking forward to new the rumors surrounding the new ipods, itunes, notebooks, etc. Just in time for a last rush for college students and teachers for the free ipod after mail in rebate. should spark a last minute rush for apple and set the bar for holiday sales. hopefully apple will surprise us instead of letting us down.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vanuatu View Post

Apple under Steve rarely does ugly -

The rendering above has direct USB - this will never happen - Apple makes too much money from their proprietary connector.

The Lanyard is not currently not apart of any product recently made by Apple (please correct me if i am wrong) does the Shuffle have a Lanyard - I don't know

price may change item #1. Think cheap cables, reduced size of product, and cheaper components.

#2 - shuffle has a built in clip, which makes it perfect for clipping on your hat when you do chores, all wires are out of the way. The old shuffle had a hokey lanyard and was like a pack of gum.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

The old shuffle had a hokey lanyard and was like a pack of gum.

Best thing about the original shuffle (I still have and use mine) was/is that you could plug it straight into the usb socket on the mac/pc with no need for any cables. Because of this the original shuffle is still way ahead in terms of practicality than the re-designed shuffles imho.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I could go on and on about how cool the classic looks, but I'd use words like iconic and sleek and strong and industrial and in the end I'd sound like Niles Crane.

Awesome. Just awesome.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    I don't buy the curved screen at all. It's not just a problem of reflections, it is also more likely to scratch or break.

Not to mention that the design looks like many nano knockoffs, like the small Zune.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    nceencee Posts: 858member
    Apple will hold it on a different day, just to make him wrong.

Apple will be announcing a new PHONE ? they'll call it the NanoPhone, (or iPhonemini, or iPhone II, it will be JUST a phone, and will sell for $89.00 ? JUST a phone!

Apple will update they iPods (big surprise, they've done this each year for what now, 3, 4 years)

Apple will announce something else, and everyone will say "I told you so"!

Apple stock will shot through the roof ? and all will be happy.

Apple will have a GREAT Holiday season ? everyone we be happy, and some will say ?

Apple will have some great exciting announcements at MacWorld Expo in January ? and just about everyone will be happy.

Apple WON'T come out with everything that folks are asking for ? everyone will be pissed!

A day / month / year in the life of Apple

Skip
  • Reply 32 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I don't buy the curved screen at all. It's not just a problem of reflections, it is also more likely to scratch or break.

Curved objects are stronger in many ways, in this case, unless you press into the side edge with a very strong force.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    The iPod Touch's form factor is nearly perfect. Apple, please don't tinker with it too much...

(you should be trying to make the iphone fit in the ipod touch's dimensions in the future.)

add 64 GB or 80 GB flash if possible

and ditch the chrome back.

as a matter of fact, ditch the chrome across the line and on the next rev of the iPhone as well!

the chrome look is tired. try black metal/gunmetal finish or pearl-like finish?

as for the next macbook pro - getting the inputs right is key. i say ditch ethernet and telephone, s-video and dvi.

keep/have 3 usb ports 2 fire wire, pcmcia, combo audio in/out jack and hdmi

and option for blu-ray!
  • Reply 34 of 57
    tardistardis Posts: 94member
    Consensus? The word means, to paraphrase Websters, "a general agreement or unanimity, a group solidarity in sentiment and belief"

This implies that those expressing that agreement have some control over the situation, for example, there may be a "consensus" among US Democrats that Barak Obama is the best Presidential candidate. If Apple developers are choosing a date themselves, then there may be a "consensus" for one particular date. They are not.

Unless Kevin Rose has received an invitation to an Apple event, or knows someone who is organising it, then the "rumored Sept. 9 iPod event" is just his guess. If large numbers of people are also receiving invitations, then that would be confirmation of the rumour. Otherwise, large numbers of people reporting the same Kevin Rose guesswork and thinking he may be right is not a "Consensus build(ing) for the rumored Sept. 9 iPod event", it is a "Consensus" among bloggers that Kevin's guess may be right. In any case, Kevin is not only using guesswork about the date, the idea that it will be an "iPod event" is also his guess.

This is not semantics, there is a very important difference. In the first example (support for Obama), the numbers may translate into votes, and therefore a "building consensus" implies more votes for Obama, whereas in the second, it does not matter how many people report on Kevin Rose's guess, or how many people believe that it may be correct, it is still a guess and it still has exactly the same chance of being right or wrong as if no-one ever saw it.

The other difference, of course, is that whether or not Kevin Rose's guess has any validity, more people will hit his website, and those websites that link to it. More ad-counts for Kev, perhaps?

So your headline should really read "Website hit counts build for speculation and guesswork about Sept. 9 iPod event".

Should I expect a "consensus" to build that your headline will soon be changed?
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

The iPod Touch's form factor is nearly perfect. Apple, please don't tinker with it too much...

Really?

I've assumed that most people would ignore the iPod Touch now, as the iPhone 3G appears cheaper to most people, and it does more. On that premise, I'm assuming the iPod touch needs to differentiate itself by either being a little smaller (and multi coloured) or 1.5x bigger (or both).

For you, what makes the iPod Touch appeal significantly more than just getting an iPhone?
  • Reply 36 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rezisluh View Post

(you should be trying to make the iphone fit in the ipod touch's dimensions in the future.)

add 64 GB or 80 GB flash if possible

and ditch the chrome back.

as a matter of fact, ditch the chrome across the line and on the next rev of the iPhone as well!

the chrome look is tired. try black metal/gunmetal finish or pearl-like finish?

as for the next macbook pro - getting the inputs right is key. i say ditch ethernet and telephone, s-video and dvi.

keep/have 3 usb ports 2 fire wire, pcmcia, combo audio in/out jack and hdmi

and option for blu-ray!

1) 80GB would only happen with a HDD-based Touch, which I do see happening. 64GB in the current design would require 2x32GB chips, which are still too expensive, so that is unlikely.

2) By chrome so you mean brushed aluminium? If so, I quite like it and see no reason they need to stop using it.

3) A telephone jack was removed when they introduced the MB and MBP. There is no S-Video. There is no PCMCIA, that was ditched to when the MB and MBPs were first introduced. DVU may go away in favour of a smaller, newer connection type but I think DisplayPort is more liekly than HDMI.

4) The audio jack currently are combo. They do digital and analog. If you mean one jack for in and out that won't happen as it doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Really?

I've assumed that most people would ignore the iPod Touch now, as the iPhone 3G appears cheaper to most people, and it does more. On that premise, I'm assuming the iPod touch needs to differentiate itself by either being a little smaller (and multi coloured) or 1.5x bigger (or both).

For you, what makes the iPod Touch appeal significantly more than just getting an iPhone?

You are kidding , I hope.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

1) no contract

2) slimmer form factor

3) While the idea of a 'do-everything' device can be appealing, carrying a separate dumb phone with a cheap plan is fine with me. I don't live and die for phone contact.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Man, these Macbooks just seem to keep getting delayed over and over. It's ridiculous. First they were supposed to come out shortly after the iphone 3g. Then it was August timeframe. Then it was September. Now they seem to be delayed again, and Appleinsider doesn't have any good sources on this. I want a new Mac!

Anyone got any scoops?
  • Reply 40 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    With all the delays these better be freakin' incredible MacBook and MacBook Pro updates.