Consensus builds for rumored Sept. 9 iPod event

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Spurred on by his own leak from the past weekend, Digg founder Kevin Rose has pegged a more specific date for Apple to unveil its new iPods and is garnering support from additional sources.



Listeners to the August 25th episode of This Week in Tech, which features Rose as a show guest, report the site creator mentioning a September 9th introduction for the new iPods that he himself broke word of a day before the podcast was recorded.



While he doesn't say whether this would involve one of Apple's characteristic press events to usher in the changes, the Digg head also sent what are allegedly further images of the redesigned iPod nano to show founder Leo Laporte, who didn't find any glaring problems with what he saw but was sworn to keep the product shots to himself; he quickly deleted them outright.



Separately, leaks that would support Rose's claims have seemingly popped up at the same time, as Chinese resellers at AliBaba and iDealsChina are either selling or claim to know of silicone skin cases for the fourth-generation iPod that fit a player like that seen in an image this weekend. In at least one of these shots, however, Apple's proprietary Dock Connector is replaced with a mini-USB port and a lanyard hook, casting doubt on its accuracy.



Outside of the hardware, Rose also believes he has knowledge of at least one of the features of iTunes 8.0, which he previously said would arrive simultaneously with the iPods. He hears that the new software will be "looking at your music" and recommending content based on specific conditions.



Purported 3D renderings and case images for the new iPod nano. | Image credits: AliBaba and iDealsChina.



Although Rose hopes to avoid incriminating himself by revealing too many features and risking added criticism if he's proven wrong, his assertions are gaining support. A report from Ars Technica later on Monday says the technology site could give a "wink and nod" about the general timeframe, though it stops short of confirming an event or any of the product details. Analysts at Piper Jaffray have also predicted similar plans for Apple in September as it reveals one or more product updates.



Nonetheless, while an iPod refresh is all but certain for the holidays, the nature of any possible event is said Ars to be complicated. With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule, Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 57
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Great fantastic- all is well in the world!

    Not too crazy about that Nano though. Perhaps a twisting screen would be better? Or a mini Touch?
  • Reply 2 of 57
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    This guy thinks awfully highly of himself. I remember seeing him on the old TechTV channel. I doubt anything he says is true. Wow..what a prediction...iTunes 8. The number 8 is the number after 7. I wonder how he came up with that.



    Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen. Nothing else will change with the Nano's features. The iPhone and iPod Touch still can't display widescreen video properly. It is like watching a non-anamorphic DVD on a Widescreen TV. Zooming the video to fill the screen severely crops the left and right sides. Standard Widescreen DVD's (1.85:1) are not so bad, but 2.35:1 DVD's suffer greatly. I have tried using the anamorphic settings in Handbrake, but the video still looks like a non-anamorphic transfer on the iPhone.



    But I am sure people will eat this stuff up like they did on the last article.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule



    This is the first article I've read that mentions this as a distinct possibility.



    Quote:

    Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.



    I seem to recall that these events have focused on both iPod and notebook updates before. Except for the Nano, I don't foresee any other iPod product getting a facelift so capacity increases and/or rice drops can be quick, with focus on the new and improved Montevina/Penryn notebooks (hopefully with no optical drive... but I wouldn't bet on that).
  • Reply 4 of 57
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member
    OMG I bet on Sept 9.

    I will send my info so you can transfer the prize.

    Thank you!





    (lol)
  • Reply 5 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    This guy thinks awfully highly of himself. I remember seeing him on the old TechTV channel. I doubt anything he says is true. Wow..what a prediction...iTunes 8. The number 8 is the number after 7. I wonder how he came up with that.



    A recent Roughly Drarted listed the iTunes major and minor version revisions, the dates between them and what had changed. It clearly demonstrated that there are equal chances that 7.7.2 or 7.8 or 8.0 will happen.



    Quote:

    Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen.



    Huh?
  • Reply 6 of 57
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine (this is not a sexist remark) design. It is something I would expect to see fallout of my wife purse as she empties one to another of her many (I've lost count these days) purses.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Nonetheless, while an iPod refresh is all but certain for the holidays, the nature of any possible event is said Ars to be complicated. With the delay of Intel's Centrino 2 platform likely pushing the release of a redesigned MacBook line out of its intended schedule, Apple may face the undesirable prospect of either having to incorporate new Mac launches into an iPod-oriented press gathering or else staggering the announcements in a way that might jeopardize valuable back-to-school Mac sales.



    AI is being sensationalist again as there's nothing "complicated" or "undesirable." During both 2006 and 2007, Apple introed new iPods several days before the Mac w/free iPod promotion ended, so a 9/9 intro is nothing new as this year's promotion ends 9/15. New versions of iPods were introed on 9/7, 9/12, 9/5 over the last 3 years, so 9/9 is certainly the best bet. (In 2005, there was an additional Oct intro for the iPod gen 5 with video.)



    And other than at January MacWorld Expos, I believe only once in 2003 did Apple intro a new iPod alongside new iMacs (on 9/8). But in 2003, iPod was still being established.



    So my guess is 9/9 for new iPods and 9/24 for new laptops. (Apple has previously introed new laptops in Oct and Nov, so I don't see what the complication is.)
  • Reply 8 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,671member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine (this is not a sexist remark) design. It is something I would expect to see fallout of my wife purse as she empties one to another of her many (I've lost count these days) purses.



    I don't agree. It depend what iPod you're talking about.



    I happen to think the classic is actually masculine looking:



  • Reply 9 of 57
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    September 9th is a little too soon for an unannounced special event. Unless Apple no longer considers the iPods special enough to have their own event announcement. The iPhone is the new darling anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post


    September 9th is a little too soon for an unannounced special event. Unless Apple no longer considers the iPods special enough to have their own event announcement. The iPhone is the new darling anyway.



    Apple only announces 7-8 days in advance, so that gives them till tuesday (since Monday is a holiday).



    Best,



    Kasper
  • Reply 11 of 57
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    I'm going to enjoy seeing all of Rose's predictions NOT come to fruition, namely his Zune-Nano bastard child.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I don't agree. It depend what iPod you're talking about.



    I happen to think the classic is actually masculine looking:




    I totally agree. I could go on and on about how cool the classic looks, but I'd use words like iconic and sleek and strong and industrial and in the end I'd sound like Niles Crane.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    what about the Oppenheimer Special?



    During the earning announcement, CFO Peter Oppenheimer referred to a something extraordinary coming up this quarter that could eat into Apple's margins. Slight upgrades of the current products wouldn't cause such a warning to be issued.



    I wonder what it could be. I'd like to see Apple get into Home Automation, but that's just me.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post


    what about the Oppenheimer Special?



    During the earning announcement, CFO Peter Oppenheimer referred to a something extraordinary coming up this quarter that could eat into Apple's margins. Slight upgrades of the current products wouldn't cause such a warning to be issued.



    I wonder what it could be. I'd like to see Apple get into Home Automation, but that's just me.



    He mentioned lower margins but Apple has said that before. He did say there was a product transition, but that could be just a new Nano. In true Apple fashion they are keeping everything close to their belt.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,762member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    Apple designs have always been along the lines of unisex. This iPod design is more feminine



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    I don't agree. It depend what iPod you're talking about.



    I happen to think the classic is actually masculine looking:




    Exactly. And CREB is talking about the one discussed in the article--the rumored curvy Nano.



    The sex of the classic is neither here nor there...
  • Reply 16 of 57
    mukeimukei Posts: 14member
    They said:

    Price down

    No one can challenge

    New approach



    I heard about something about iTunes 8 giving access to some unlimited download with year subscription giving access to "almost" all the music for free.



    What I see is 2 ways of buying an ipod

    The Normal WAY..



    The PHONE WAY !

    What I mean is that you would have your iPod for 100$ or less but you would have to subscribe to their download subscription for 2 years.

    So they that they get more client and they can sell cheaper their stuff.



    The Nano accessing Video -> sell videos which would not be totally free.

    The iPod Touch GPS?Camera? -> sell videos, app



    That would be unchallengeable, a price down, and a revolution in the market of media player.



    I should sell my idea to apple
  • Reply 17 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mukei View Post


    I heard something about iTunes 8 giving access to some unlimited download with year subscription giving access to "almost" all the music for free.



    Not for free: $129.99 for the service, for $179.99 with MobileMe, or $99 if you already have MM. It's also rumoured to include about half the current library. While Apple's current success with expiring media with movie rentals they could do it, but I have doubt that they will. Does anyone currently have a successful rental program going?
  • Reply 18 of 57
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Not for free: $129.99 for the service, for $179.99 with MobileMe, or $99 if you already have MM. It's also rumoured to include about half the current library. While Apple's current success with expiring media with movie rentals they could do it, but I have doubt that they will. Does anyone currently have a successful rental program going?



    I certainly have my doubts about a music subscription service too. I can still hear Jobs telling us that "people want to own their music." But times have changed and I hear people who once said that they would never consider a subscription service now saying that it would be a nice complement the existing download-to-own services they currently use.



    One interesting thought is how a music discovery/recommendation system in iTunes might intersect with a subscription-based service.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    A recent Roughly Drarted listed the iTunes major and minor version revisions, the dates between them and what had changed. It clearly demonstrated that there are equal chances that 7.7.2 or 7.8 or 8.0 will happen.



    Quote:

    Big deal if the iPod Nano grows a screen.



    Huh?



    The rumor is that the Nano will grow a wide screen. Who cares.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    ivladivlad Posts: 740member
    I don't think Nano or any iPod or MacBook line are feminine. A lot of masculine objects are very curvy, that's why they so appealing to Males and somewhat familiar as nature to Female side. Apple can't go wrong with their choice of next shape for apple.



    For almost 6 years Apple followed straight edge, metal, hard, clean look. Now as the new era approaches Apple is choosing much more flexible and curvy shapes, which will appeal to both Male and Female. Now color can set a tone much better than shape.



    Just a though.
Sign In or Register to comment.