iTunes 8 prematurely leaked, pulled?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    That is largely true. However, the guy couldn't share the software with anybody else, as that is a copyright license violation. Also, if Apple wanted to it could sue the guy even if it'd ultimately lose. Meanwhile, the guy would spend big bucks defending himself.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Actually, he would be fine releasing information, as it's apple's fault. I saw a case once when something very similar to this had happened. It was deemed a "public release", though it was in error. As long as he hasn't signed anything with Apple prohibiting his release of information, he can tell anything he likes.

Of course, he may not really have anything.

• Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An unusual report late Sunday has multiple users claiming that Apple unintentionally, if briefly, posted a pre-release copy of iTunes 8.

The few allegedly lucky visitors to Apple's iTunes page at the right time on Sunday say they noticed an out-of-place "Download Now" button in the middle of the page which, if clicked, linked to a download for iTunes 8.0 rather than the publicly available 7.7.

Others claim to have noticed the download as well, but in most cases the file in question is said to have already disappeared.

If legitimate, what new features are in the software aren't being revealed: one user who claims to have successfully grabbed the update not only notes that the build appeared to be an unfinished release candidate but that he's concerned about repercussions.

"I?m not sure about the legality of releasing it to you guys yet," he explains. "I don?t want any trouble from Apple."

The alleged iTunes 8 download link before it disappeared from Apple's site.

And while multiple anecdotal claims support the existence of the build, the unnamed tipster is in a difficult position to say what's new: he appears to have held off on upgrading iTunes past version 6.0, which was first introduced nearly three years ago. Recent reports have supported iTunes 8.0's existence and assert that it will be one of Apple's larger upgrades, sporting both auto playlist creation as well as the possibility of HD downloads and other major feature additions.

Nonetheless, Apple is known in recent memory to have posted new software updates prematurely, including the discovery in July of an early iPhone 2.0 download a day before it became public. Any iTunes updates are most likely to appear at Tuesday's "Let's Rock" special music event.

Apple is leaking this iinformation... Please don't buy it all the time! Blurry iPod images!!! common, why it's always blurry )) Apple is doing it intentionally to create a hype!
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

Apple is leaking this iinformation... Please don't buy it all the time! Blurry iPod images!!! common, why it's always blurry )) Apple is doing it intentionally to create a hype!

They are always blurry because they are using an iPhone to take the pictures
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biyibot View Post

I agree, I think Apple releases this type of information to create hype about whats coming out. Think about it they leak a blurry Photo and other small bits of information and it spreads like a wild fire in the forums and blog sites talking about it and it costs Apple nothing.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

10.7 as in OSX 10.7? You gotta be kidding, 10.6 hasn't even been released yet.

quick! somebody get this guy a humor transplant. stat. \
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

use shintocam for the humor transplant: he's got an abundance of it.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woody970 View Post

I agree, I think Apple releases this type of information to create hype about whats coming out. Think about it they leak a blurry Photo and other small bits of information and it spreads like a wild fire in the forums and blog sites talking about it and it costs Apple nothing.

I have to agree. As much as Apple says they hate these leaks, they always seem to happen and always seem to generate more interest in an Apple event. If Apple were to either confirm these leaks or if nothing were leaked out at all, Apple events would be a little more quiet.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    I don't buy it. If it really leaked, the leak would be online at all the pirate sites already. I assume it's not?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    You won't believe what just happend to me! I just browsed Apple's website to take a look at the OS X 10.5 features so that I could decide if it's worth upgrading to it (I'm on 10.1, right now). But then suddenly there was a second "guided tour" button in the middle of the page. I clicked on it and came to a secret website of apple where they introduce the new features of OS X 10.7 codename "Jagupard"! I would give you more details, but I don't want to be sued by Apple's legal. But to prove it, I uploaded a screenshot:

• Reply 30 of 44
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

AI is on the ball tonight.

I have doubts about the tipster saying that he got a copy of it and jsut happened to update his 3 years old iTunes v6 tonight? What are the odds!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

Putting a download button in the middle of an existing page and putting that online? That seems pretty sloppy.

I seriously doubt the "tipster" has anything. iTunes 6? Seriously? And he just happened to go to the iTunes page tonight? What are the odds?

EDIT: Solipsism, that's a little freaky.

Odds are about as good as both of you typing "what are the odds" at the same time
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arvernus View Post

You won't believe what just happend to me! I just browsed Apple's website to take a look at the OS X 10.5 features so that I could decide if it's worth upgrading to it (I'm on 10.1, right now). But then suddenly there was a second "guided tour" button in the middle of the page. I clicked on it and came to a secret website of apple where they introduce the new features of OS X 10.7 codename "Jagupard"! I would give you more details, but I don't want to be sued by Apple's legal. But to prove it, I uploaded a screenshot:

That just about sums it up. However, your screenshot was taken on Leopard (hence the dark title bar). I think you might be lying to us....
  • Reply 32 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

<image>

Btillant!

PS: AI needs update their vBulletin to allow for Thumbnails without the workaround like MAcOSXHints has it setup. Plus, it would really save on the large images that people will quote in he next message even though it's sitting right above it.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

No, I think it isn't the fault of the people taking the pictures - the real reason the pictures are always blurry is that really the iPhods themselves are blurry - there are a whole bunch of out of focus iPod Nanos going around before they're legitimately released...
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

That's funny, but please please please tell us you don't use Internet Explorer as your regular browser!?!?!?!?!

Edit -- you were trying to fake 10.1, I read your post too fast.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is largely true. However, the guy couldn't share the software with anybody else, as that is a copyright license violation. Also, if Apple wanted to it could sue the guy even if it'd ultimately lose. Meanwhile, the guy would spend big bucks defending himself.

As I have said, there has been at least one case similar to this. It was judged that as long as it had been released, inadvertently or not, it was deemed to be in the public view, therefore it could be described.

Do you know what a copyright license violation is? Unless this was an official download, with a license that clearly stated that it couldn't be distributed, or described, he would be in the clear.

Apple would be responsible for releasing this, and as it's intended for free distribution, with no restrictions as to description, there would be no problem. If he obtained this through nefarious means, it COULD be different.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by woody970 View Post

There's no reason for them to do this. The rumors are already out that they will be releasing this on Tuesday. All of the sites are carrying the news, along with suposed features.

If Apple did this, with the intention that a few would download it, and describe if for the purpose of hype, they would have left it up just a bit longer, and with a usable distribution for the download.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    How do some of these web team idiots at Apple keep screwing this up! This is like the 10th time Apple's web team has prematurely released information. Doesn't Apple have a freaking test environment to publish to before putting stuff live? Is their editorial process THAT messed up that it's THIS easy to publish stuff to the production site? Jeez.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

Current Right Side Download Image on Apple.com iTunes:

It has a semi-transparent layer in the PNG image to make the "button" reflection look, but the Apple web artist didn't mask the right side:

Here is the supposed "screenshot"

Looks like he tried to erase some of that semi-transparent part, but missed some, as it is covering up the left corner of the lowercase d:

(Left is Apple's original picture. Right is the closeup of the screenshot.

So yeah, this guy basically just slapped the download link over the text with photoshop.

Jobs should eat this guy's liver for lunch.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Jobs should eat this guy's liver for lunch.

Only if the guy is a fish.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phlake View Post

However, your screenshot was taken on Leopard (hence the dark title bar).

I'm impressed that IE5 still runs on Leopard! I thought most of the Carbon/QuickDraw APIs that draw those widgets were deprecated *years* ago.

I wonder if Netscape 7 still works...