iPod 2.1 offers promise for Friday's 'big' iPhone software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    I think a glaring omission is a way to sort Apps. Seems like we really need 2 choices:

1: Sort Alphabetically

2: Leave them where I put them.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    What about the notification service support that was supposed to be coming in September? Is there yet another major released planned for this month?
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

What about the notification service support that was supposed to be coming in September? Is there yet another major released planned for this month?

Perhaps the update includes the ability to do push notifications (I doubt it), but there are some other issues to contend with:

1. None of the apps released have this capability

2. Apple (at least this is my understanding) removed push notifications from the last SDK release.
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O4BlackWRX View Post

Spoken like a true liberalist that has probably never worked a single day in corporate America or for any large company at all. The previous lawsuits were absurd (if you even bothered to read them and had half a brain you'd notice that). Should I sue because my car doesn't get the MPG it said I would? It's an estimation, people want everything now for nothing and when they don't get their hopes & dreams satisfied (like that's even possible) they sue. America has gotten way out of hand.

Blah blah blah.

Corporate America will always do the right thing for the consumer.

Except when it's in their financial best interests not to.

• Reply 25 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skottichan View Post

I used to have a little lag (with around 120 contacts), now it's nearly instantaneous.

Yeah, but I have 893. I want to know THAT performance.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    [ Edit ]
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

This update may end the numerous lawsuits out there about Apple's performance promises of the iPhone 3G.

Too many trigger happy lawyers eyeballing Apple's pile of cash.

Doubt it. They will say too little too late, emotional anxiety, loss of work, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

How about just a little perspective. This 2.1 beta was first seeded on July 24th. The first lawsuit regarding the iPhone 3G was filled on August 19th.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanrock24 View Post

I think a glaring omission is a way to sort Apps. Seems like we really need 2 choices:

1: Sort Alphabetically

2: Leave them where I put them.

We need folders to organize our apps.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Edit: (deleted tinfoil jab at an earlier conspiracy theorist post)

My wish list for 2.1...

Less lag.

Exchange support for push that actually works.
  • Reply 29 of 92
    Quote:

Spoken like a true liberalist that has probably never worked a single day in corporate America or for any large company at all. The previous lawsuits were absurd (if you even bothered to read them and had half a brain you'd notice that). Should I sue because my car doesn't get the MPG it said I would? It's an estimation, people want everything now for nothing and when they don't get their hopes & dreams satisfied (like that's even possible) they sue. America has gotten way out of hand.

I don't think America has gotten out of hand -- it's ADVERTISING which has lost touch with reality. Why should we, as consumers and citizens, accept a company making outlandish claims? There are regulatory agencies which deal with certain industries (FDA and pharmaceuticals, for example), but for many sectors, one can say almost anything in print/radio/television without fear of reprisal.

As much as I love Apple, there is much to be said for gently underrepresenting a product, such that A) most consumers will be pleasantly surprised, and B) there is greatly reduced chance of litigation based on falsely inflated claims. Apple, like most other companies, has fallen victim to the kind of "megahertz-myth" meaningless number spouting that their own ads once targeted.

I would be thrilled to support a company that said "our REAL WORLD battery life is (x)." It's incredibly frustrating try and deconvolve specifications through the reality distortion field. I know I'll NEVER see 5 hours of of my MBAir. That's false advertising as "wireless productivity". Does my girlfriend's iPhone 3g get "300 hours of standby"? Not on your life. Try 20 on a good day. I'm sorry, but a FIFTEEN FOLD difference isn't excusable. These are not uncommon "real world" stories. Should I know better than to believe the spec? Sure. But ask yourself for a question WHY you should have to distrust a vendor to whom you're paying thousands of dollars.

I thought that Apple, as a corporation, was above such unsupported posturing. Perhaps that left with the "Computer" portion of their name...
  • Reply 30 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technosmurf View Post

The following picture shows that sound effects can be activated on an individual basis (I think this is new with firmware 2.1):

There seems to be new changes within the Mail app. For example, when the cursor is in the "To:" field, the keyboard changes so that there is an "@" key, and the space bar shrinks (I guess because you don't need it in this field). Is this a new change?

Both those things are in 2.0.2 on my iPhone 3G - but I confess I had to go look to be sure!

Thx for the other feature update screen shots. Of course for iPhone 3G users it'll be the phone performance fixes that we'll mostly be looking for.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Are you John McCain?

Yours seems to be the comment that everyone wants to post about, even though you are simply 100% wrong on the actual facts. This is way to eerily similar to McCain/Palin for me.

You can't just spout falsehoods and make stuff up. Only *half* of the USA will believe you if you do that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Frankly, I am happy with the lawsuits in this case: They drove the company to fix the bugs rather than deny them as they did for the first month of the iphone2s release.

This is a textbook case of what class action law SHOULD do, keep companies on the streight and narrow, make them correct their mistakes and deliver the product that was advertised.

If the fix works, and the lawsuits dissappear, or are quickly settled for a small (sub $100,000) figure, I say that the system worked as it should.

• Reply 32 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Are you John McCain?

Yours seems to be the comment that everyone wants to post about, even though you are simply 100% wrong on the actual facts. This is way to eerily similar to McCain/Palin for me.

You can't just spout falsehoods and make stuff up. Only *half* of the USA will believe you if you do that.

Way to bring totally irrelevant politics into this. Perhaps HALF of the US is sitting on their collective duffs as open-mouthed consumers instead of being irate with the status quo of false advertisements and unsubstantiated claims of performance.

Lawsuits are designed to act as a check and balance of the system. When the system is in equilibrium, there will be frivolous lawsuits, and there will be suits of merit. I wouldn't consider holding an advertiser to their claims to be frivolous. Making sweeping statements for fifty seconds followed by a few microscopic lines of "disclaimer" does not truth in advertising make. If we stop requiring TRUTH in print/radio/TV, all of our information sources will further ride down a slippery slope.

Perhaps we're all just to accustomed to being fed lies and half-truths to know any better or care. Coming full circle to politics, I would argue that we've forgotten that there was a time when the word "libel" meant something.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Well, I've just done the upgrade and interesting the first thing I needed to do after the upgrade was use the calculator. Looked fine except when I turned my touch over to get into the scientific calculator I was surprised to find out the calculator no longer fit on the screen. It was off to the side and up too high cutting of part of the picture. After a couple resets of my iPod touch it seems to be back to normal.

Just a weird quirk I guess.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technosmurf View Post

Finally, a user asked about long lags when initiating the Contacts app. Well, after starting that app for the very first time after upgrading to 2.1, there was indeed a lag, but after that, every new initiation of that app is instantaneous (even after powering off and on again). I have 263 contacts that are synced with a push service. The search bar is now always at the top of the contact list (it seemed like before, you had to touch the magnifying icon on the right bar or something like that). I should note that I do not have any pictures associated with my contacts. After reading somewhere that this could cause very long syncs, I deleted all pictures from my contacts. I don't know if picture contacts will still cause long lags in the firmware 2.1 Contacts app.

Great post. It's very good to hear that about the Contacts, that is promising.

I also was always bewildered by the fact that to get to the search, you had to go all the way to the top. Of course if doing that didn't take 20 seconds on my phone, it would be not as bad, but its boneheaded either way.

Thanks!
  • Reply 35 of 92
    What's more, icons of updated applications now retain their pre-set position on the Touch's home screen, rather than being thrust to the end of the home screen, where they previously needed to be forcibly repositioned by the user.

Hallelujah!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My wish list for 2.1...

There will be no wishing here. That belongs on DearCupertino.com
  • Reply 37 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Edit: (deleted tinfoil jab at an earlier conspiracy theorist post)

My wish list for 2.1...

Less lag.

Exchange support for push that actually works.

Sounds like you need to switch carriers. "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW"?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Are you John McCain?

You mean like the lie that your pastor, the anti-American racist hate mongerer, never spewed any vile while you sat in his church for 20 years, married you, and baptised your kids?
  • Reply 39 of 92
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonybrookadam View Post

As much as I love Apple, there is much to be said for gently underrepresenting a product, such that A) most consumers will be pleasantly surprised, and B) there is greatly reduced chance of litigation based on falsely inflated claims. Apple, like most other companies, has fallen victim to the kind of "megahertz-myth" meaningless number spouting that their own ads once targeted.

I would be thrilled to support a company that said "our REAL WORLD battery life is (x)." It's incredibly frustrating try and deconvolve specifications through the reality distortion field. I know I'll NEVER see 5 hours of of my MBAir. That's false advertising as "wireless productivity". Does my girlfriend's iPhone 3g get "300 hours of standby"? Not on your life. Try 20 on a good day. I'm sorry, but a FIFTEEN FOLD difference isn't excusable. These are not uncommon "real world" stories. Should I know better than to believe the spec? Sure. But ask yourself for a question WHY you should have to distrust a vendor to whom you're paying thousands of dollars.

I thought that Apple, as a corporation, was above such unsupported posturing. Perhaps that left with the "Computer" portion of their name...

First of all, I always find it funny that people just "put up" with what is obviously a faulty device. Not sure what's wrong with your girlfriend's iPhone, maybe she should take it back? If my iPhone did that, I would definitely return it and get one that worked as advertised; I can leave my iPhone sit for several days without needing to recharge it, while occasionally using it. Also, you do understand that "standby time" means the time left in uninterrupted sleep mode?

Secondly, any specification, especially when there are a lot of variables involved, is pretty much a "guestimate" based on what that company perceives real world use to be (and they usually claim so). Battery life and wireless speed are never guaranteed, they are an estimate, just as MPG rating on cars, or life expectancy of light bulbs, or bandwidth throughput. Some people may actually get more, some will get less, it depends on the circumstances; use, location, etc.

The only people caught in a "reality distortion field" are those that are ignorant of real world situations and influences. I'm surprised you're not here bitching about the fact that your USB 2.x throughput isn't actually 480Mbps!? Maybe you should sue Intel or something.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:

Excuse me? WTF is a "true liberalist"? And what exactly does being liberal have to do with whether or not you ever worked for corporate America? I'm liberal as hell and spent most of my life working in corporate America. Now I work for myself, but I'm still liberal.