Upgrading from OS 10.3.9 to ???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello:

I have a three-four year old iBook which runs fine (I mainly use my iBook for email, Internet, and Microsoft Office) but I'm thinking of upgrading my OS and am wondering what would be the best OS to upgrade to. In case you're wondering, I'm considering the upgrade because there are a couple of applications I would like to demo (and maybe buy) that require a minimum OS of 10.4.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Jason

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

... In case you're wondering, I'm considering the upgrade because there are a couple of applications I would like to demo (and maybe buy) that require a minimum OS of 10.4.

This depends. If you run Classic apps, then you shouldn't buy anything newer than MacOS X 10.4. Apple still provides security updates for it. If you don't run Classic apps, then you should buy MacOS X 10.5. There are now quite a few applications and utilities that require Leopard. I suggest that you look at the system requirements for your apps to see what they require.

Oh, by the way, there is no MacOS X demo.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Make sure your iBook can handle the minimum requirements for either Tiger or Leopard. Even your optical drive... it needs to be a DVD since newer system installers come on DVD. Check free space on your hard drive and how much ram you have. Mr. Me raises good points about Classic.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thank you. Forgive the ignorant question, but what is meant by "Classic apps"? My 3.5 year old iBook is the first Mac I've owned so I'm not quite sure what is meant when that term is used. I probably should just wait and purchase a new iBook when money allows, but I was really interested in trying out DevonThink, which only works on 10.4 or higher. Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions. I appreciate it.

-Jason
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Classic is the MacOS 9-compatibility environment in PPC-based Macs from MacOS X 10.0 through MacOS X 10.4. It is safe to say that you don't use any Classic apps.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Click on the apple icon in the top top left and select "About this Mac" and tell us what processor you have and how much RAM you have

Having said that, I installed 10.5.5 on my old PowerBook 12inch (G4 1.33GHz with 1.25GB of RAM) and while its not the fastest thing in the world, it still runs pretty well.