Comments

• Reply 161 of 189
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
  • Reply 162 of 189
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

.Die.

You know, if you want spammers to die, it's a good idea not to quote all the links they've posted
  • Reply 163 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You know, if you want spammers to die, it's a good idea not to quote all the links they've posted

Seriously, just report the post and move on.
  • Reply 164 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Is the current white MacBook anti-scratch? If yes, I would rather go for it in the near future before they refresh. I like the white enclosure

I've bought one recently and am very happy with it. I doubt they will improve on its looks in the next iteration. It may look different, but not more elegant.

Montevenia and led backlighting of the screen is all I would ask for, as well as a multitouch trackpad, leaving the rest just as it is right now! It's the perfect machine for me, though I do need to use special reading glasses to work at a comfortable distance. Curiously enough I don't need them on the 12" screen of a friend's think-pad! (The screen fonts are fatter and the screen is more luminous). The screen from the Air would be a godsend. I made an A-B comparison at the local store.

The trackpad is the newer, sturdier one, addressing old complaints, and it is silky smooth in use. The weight is perfect, a smidgeon over 2 kilos.

The controversial keyboard is smooth and comfortable in use, the keys don't stick, key travel is fine for my taste. Over the years I've worked with dozens of keyboards that click and clack but are not more comfortable after hours of work.

From the point of view of esthetics I find it the most stylish notebook on the market, but then I like subdued, pure classic design. Apple pioneered that route and only of late have they tried to 'entice us' with glass beads and mirrors. How could the designer of the 'Next' have foisted Leopard's dock upon us?

Let's face it: Apple is gradually 'tarting up' both the machines and the interfaces. The Air's general theme may signal a welcome return to subdued elegance.

I haven't run any 'scratch-resistance' tests on my new MacBook ;-) , but there IS a way to restore its luster with fine polish and a wad of cotton. It's an old trick picked up on the internet. Use it at your own risk. I've opted for a pouch or 'envelope' whenever it's not in use and careful use of the chamois that came with it. Peple say it's fussy to keep it looking like day one, but with a bit of TLC it should keep the gleam on your eye.
  • Reply 165 of 189
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

At least someone here agrees. The MacBook Pro has a timeless look, definitely not dated. Any redesign is only to satisfy superficial desires for something that looks "new."

Maybe so. But companies value that desire as it translates into new sales. People buy for all sorts of reasons, including the look of the device.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

You're right! Apple white plastic is not poor quality. It stays white over time, unlike my "white", now very yellow Cuisinart.

Well, mine certainly stays white. It also has the annoying habit of falling to pieces, though. My MacBook is easily the worst-constructed Apple product I've owned, and I've owned many.
  • Reply 166 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Where you get this info from? So is it as strong or stronger then aluminium?

Try googling "Hybrix steel": It's a sandwich of two thin steel plates held together by vertical strands of the same material. My guess is that it will be more resistant to 'dings' dents and scratches than aluminum sheathing.

Off the top of my head: steel does not conduct and dissipate heat as well as aluminum. All the more so if we are talking about a sandwich of two separate sheets held apart by thin strands.

It will not burn your lap any more, but the enclosure will no longer aid to dissipate heat so unless it is more actively cooled it would tend to cook its innards specially considering the ongoing race towards 2.8 GHz processors.

If this is the scenario Apple may have to reinforce the cooling ducts, heatpipes and fans.
  • Reply 167 of 189
    xc3llxc3ll Posts: 30member
    Gizmodo is pedaling these photos of the new Macbook which look surprisingly realistic, although I doubt its the real deal. For one, the apple logo is sideways on that last photo. They do look nice though.

• Reply 168 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jouster View Post

Well, mine certainly stays white. It also has the annoying habit of falling to pieces, though. My MacBook is easily the worst-constructed Apple product I've owned, and I've owned many.

Weird. Over the years, I've owned:

PowerBook 145b

PowerBook 190

PowerMac G3 mini-tower (beige)

PowerBook G4 titanium (original 500 MHz version)

MacBook (white)

iPod 3G

iPod 4G

iPod 5.5G

And I'd say that this MacBook is the best Apple product ever. I wish Apple would hurry up and update the MacBook Pro to deliver us the expected case revisions to make it more "Air" like; this MacBook was supposed to be an interim purchase (it's a fabulous design and well put together, but it is a little underpowered for my liking).
  • Reply 169 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cincytee View Post

One of the great dangers of the rapid pace of technological improvement is that it can become linked with the vagaries of style. The chief insulator against style, though, is quality and thoughtful design, which I think the white enclosures embody; they at least must be said to present the best side of the sleek Jobsian aesthetic to the world. Subjecting it to such dismissive derision because someone's sense of style has moved on shows a profound disrespect for lasting quality. I'd hate to think what you'd say about an SE/30.

My feelings entirely. There is nothing to 'improve' in a truly classic piece. The white MacBook is a little contemporary masterpiece that doesn't look out of place among the Mies Van Der Rohe chairs and the Le Corbusier table.

This reminds me of the yearly presentation of automobiles in the 60's and 70's. The leitmotiv was 'longer, wider, lower, and with more features'. Every hear they trashed designs that were quite good (in some cases) for the sake of marketing.

That said, anti scratch surface hardening on the polycarbonate MacBook would always be welcome. Le Corbusier or Marcel Breuer would surely approve.
  • Reply 170 of 189
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

I wish Apple would hurry up and update the MacBook Pro to deliver us the expected case revisions to make it more "Air" like; this MacBook was supposed to be an interim purchase (it's a fabulous design and well put together, but it is a little underpowered for my liking).

What if the new MBP's don't have CD/DVD drives like the MBA? Personally, I like having the drive built in so I hope they aren't going to nix it.
  • Reply 171 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

What if the new MBP's don't have CD/DVD drives like the MBA? Personally, I like having the drive built in so I hope they aren't going to nix it.

I said more Air like, not exactly the same!

What I meant was getting rid of the hook latching mechanism and using the magnetic type from the Air and standard MacBook, and replacing the keyboard with the backlit version from the Air.
  • Reply 172 of 189
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    I know I've seen this idea bounced around this forum more than once and I don't want to take credit for it because it came from someone else (Tailpipe, maybe?), but it seems more likely than ever given these new design leaks coming out for the MB and MBP.

Overall, it seems like the entire notebook line is going with a tapered aluminum look. Seems to me like the Air, Pro, and Macbook are meaning less and less...I wouldn't be surprised if they change what designates Pro to power and performance rather than screen size and case material (obviously the latter is the same in all three cases). Thus:

Macbook Air: 13.3", no optical disc drive, lower performance, targeting the road warrior

Macbook: 13.3" and 15" options, a variety of processor/hard drive options, integrated graphics (perhaps with nVidia chipset, the IG will be better?), still targeting the consumer, student, etc.

Macbook Pro: 13.3", 15", 17" options, high end processor/hard drive options, discrete graphics processors (still potentially with nVidia chipsets), superior monitors (matte option, obviously, for graphic designers, etc.), targeting prosumers, pro users, creative designers, etc.

What do you think? Will this transition come with the refresh in September or is it further down the road? Or ever?
  • Reply 173 of 189
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

But I don't really want him to die. That way he'll never have made friends.
  • Reply 174 of 189
    Greetings

Is there any info/speculation re a docking station for the new portables?

Thanks

JohnG
  • Reply 175 of 189
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xc3ll View Post

Gizmodo is pedaling these photos of the new Macbook which look surprisingly realistic, although I doubt its the real deal. For one, the apple logo is sideways on that last photo. They do look nice though.

It's not sideways. It looks that way from the white foam covering a third or so of the case n that picture...that doesn't make it real but it doesn't make it fake either.
  • Reply 176 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

Greetings

Thanks

JohnG

There is none.
  • Reply 177 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnymg View Post

Your best best as I see it is with BookEndz. They made some kind of docking stations for the MacBook in the past if I'm correct.
  • Reply 178 of 189
    Can someone give me their predicted specs for the MacBook Pros included ram, hdd, gpu and processors?
  • Reply 179 of 189
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

There is none.

I say that due to the laptops at work never working right with the docs they come with. Of course those are windows based machines.

In any event if you can put your printers on the network you can greatly reduce the need for hardware connections. For the most part WiFi seems to be the better choice.

Dave
  • Reply 180 of 189
    I've kept a very low profile since February when my report of new macBook Pros and MacBooks was vilified, because instead of introducing the new line-up in the Spring Apple decided to postpone the launch of revised models until the Autumn.

I return to my original thread posted in January that described exactly what people are speculating about today:

- MacBook to be made of aluminum

- Thinner case design

- Keyboard from the MBA

- Longer battery life

- Lighter weight

- New Montevina chipset

- More powerful graphics card

Prototypes were seen in Cupertino in December/ January. I am stunned that Apple has taken so long to launch them. This has a lot to do with the continuing sales success of the current line-up.

But i think we can now all agree that it really is time to replace both the MacBook and the MacBook Pro.

There is still one thing I don't know and that's this: will the MacBook Pro and MacBook lines migrate into a single line-up of laptops offering multiple chip and screen size combinations?

I rather suspect that they will. I think pro models will be the high-end spec versions.

Thank you XC311 for posting those pictures. That's exactly how the new model was described to me. I'm sorry that i appeared to be a bullshitter, though i knew what was coming i just didn't know when.

I'm much looking forward to the new range. i think it is going to be amazing.