Microsoft's $300 million ad campaign tumbles downhill with new PC ads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    "I'm a PC... and a human being, not a human doing, not a human thinking, a human being"

Does anyone care to explain to me what that man is trying to say? All that comes to mind is a couch potato, not doing or thinking anything productive, just being a lump of flesh. How does that market Microsoft?
  • Reply 62 of 140
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I think that Daniel Eran Dilger has previously discussed the really key point: that Bill Gates thinks Vista was a MARKETING failure, rather than a PRODUCT failure.

So Bill Gates decision-making about microsoft marketing is always going to be off-track.

People who are aware of the alternatives to Windows ( Mac, Unix variants ) are well aware of Microsoft's short-comings and will not be swayed by advertising. And there's no point in marketing PC to people who are not aware of alternatives.

So, in the end it comes down to the product. Microsoft is getting hit from Mac on one side and the Unix variants ( let's add Apache etc in there, etc ). I wonder if Apple could do something to reframe the battle as Microsoft versus Unix-based systems, with synergies between the Unix bases such as shared device drivers, easy networking etc. Given the strength of Unix variants in the enterprise, perhaps this could be Apple's way into the enterprise. They will always have the head start on the Unix-based desktop anyway.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    For all those who a) do use Macs, or b) have used a Mac, and all those who have b) seen them and want to switch, or c) will switch or d) are about to switch, this simply says:

Not everyone has tried a Mac...yet!

Seems to me that Microsoft is starting to hit the panic buttons.

And not a minute too soon.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    begbeg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradley View Post

"I'm a PC... and a human being, not a human doing, not a human thinking, a human being"

Does anyone care to explain to me what that man is trying to say? All that comes to mind is a couch potato, not doing or thinking anything productive, just being a lump of flesh. How does that market Microsoft?

I think they are trying to spin it like Apple is saying that the people who use PCs are just a "stereotype" and that if you're a "PC" that you aren't some horrible stereotype, you're a HUMAN BEING!!

Some people just don't get it and think that the Apple ads attack or insult PC users, the reality is everyone is supposed to like PC, and feel bad for him for all the stuff that he is besieged by because of Windows, and then realize that you're PC experience doesn't have to be fraught with the same problems.

PC = Wile E. Coyote

Microsoft = ACME Corporation

Although the particular line in the MS commercial is mind-blowingly stupid as you might as well be a piece of Tofu if you just "are" and don't think or do.

Microsoft Tofu. Life without Soy Beans!
  • Reply 65 of 140
    I think the new Windows ads are terrific. I'm a Mac user, but that doesn't translate into me being a Windows basher. Competition is what makes Apples strive to differentiate its operating system over Windows and Linux and, hopefully, excel. If it took this kind of public competition for Microsoft to realize that its audience was disenchanted with Vista, then I can only see that as a good thing.

Some amazing things have been done for our world using the Windows OS. Microsoft has a right to brag about it. Instead of disagreeing and arguing over what the best OS is, let's all be grateful we have a choice of operating systems and that one didn't become so dominant that it obliterated our right to choose.
  • Reply 66 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I was going to post this in the thread after the first Seinfeld/Gates ad, but now after all this jerking around and kicking here and there and pointing in first one direction and then another, it's much more appropriate now:

Sweet, Fancy Moses!!!

I'll remember that phrase.
  • Reply 67 of 140
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JaylikeBird View Post

I can't believe I took even the time to write this.

But you did.

(And so pretty much negated your whole argument. )
  • Reply 68 of 140
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I'm not a PC, but I play with one at work ? or

Hi, I'm a Mac but a Play a PC on TV ? or

Hi I'm a person with a mind and i CHOOSE to use a Mac, but I'm forced to use a PC at work ; or

Hi, I'm a nut, but I love my PC ? or

Hi, I'm a fuccing dip-shit - I use a PC, but could use a Mac ? or maybe

Have a screen shot of a person saying, Hi I'm tried, and I think I'll go to sleep - then the camera backs away, and you see the person on the computer screen, which then goes to sleep.

Or how about something more to the point:

Hi, my name is Bill Gates, and well, I just don't want Apple to gain anymore ground on the PC world, so I'm going to give everyone who forwards this email to all of their friends, a FREE PC ? start sending those emails.

Now I will want to know which PC he will give away, seeing MS doesn't sell computers.

Should he ad's say

Hi, I'm a computer person who uses MS products ?

My name is Bill Gates and I approve this message (likely to be the dumbest saying for political ads every made. Who would feature themselves in an ad, they didn't approve?)
  • Reply 69 of 140
    I mean, c'mon, Eva Longoria is the celebrity that will drive home their message? I would fire that ad agency as soon as they mentioned her has been name as a possibility.

I think the only thing that would make me interested in Windows is a TV commerical where people kicked or punched Ballmer in the nuts over and over again.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    I'm a diver and a Mac...

and I'm not scared at all.

Ron
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Filthy Windows that needs a good clean.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:

Does anyone care to explain to me what that man is trying to say?

Think, be, become, do? Word play? (Sigh, I must be the only one that liked that part. )
  • Reply 73 of 140
    An open field, filled to the horizon with people. As one, they begin to speak slowly:

"I'm a PC, and I have a virus. I can't do my work today. I can't show you my pictures today. I can't play my games today. I can't listen to music today. I can't get your email today. I can't connect."
  • Reply 74 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Volkswagon

Learn how to spell, Appel-insider

Btw, both Gates and Jobs could use these as ads, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o24e5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlIY7Sp_RXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJGVV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwy4R...eature=related
  • Reply 75 of 140
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monosound View Post

"Hello I'm a PC and a human being"

Yes, are there other kinds of PC users? Are the ducks finally taking that evolutionary step from floating around in ponds to blue screens of death?

Quote:

The person you are talking about is Deepak Chopra and the term in question is a common play on words used by english speakers to refer to concepts in some eastern religious and new age philosophies.
  • Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

The person you are talking about is Deepak Chopra and the term in question is a common play on words used by english speakers to refer to concepts in some eastern religious and new age philosophies.

Boy, THAT'S a great approach for winning over tech people out there.

That is something they can REALLY RELATE to....
  • Reply 77 of 140
    I find the new ad even stranger than the others with Seinfeld. At least with Seinfeld it was understood that they were trying to do something quirky and creative and it was creative.

With these, I have no idea what to think about them.

First, clearly it shows that they are bothered by the Apple ads to the point of referring to them. Ok, people in the industry recognize that but do they really want to take that frustration to the public?

Second, the ad, while visually stimulating and personal, really left me cold. People are identifying with the PC? It seemed like a very strange thing to say. No one would ever really say that - I am a PC. No one wants to be a PC. I get what they are trying to do, they are trying to stand with the PC character but it seemed really unnatural to me. Something is lost in translation.

It occurs to me that Bill Gates was really offended by the ads. He reacted like the PC character was him. I never understood the ads that way but he did. So this ad seems to me to be people around the world standing with him. He wears glasses - so do they. And meanwhile there a ton of diverse people using PCs to do some cool stuff. That however is a very strange message. Like the PC is besieged when it is not. Most people know and use PCs and there is not an issue for them.

Clearly they are trying to attack the Apple brand by saying you don't need to use an Apple to do interesting stuff. Macs are associated with fun and creativity, Strangely though it sort of makes them be the outsiders. You can do interesting stuff with a PC! That message does not really work so well - especially when no one in the ad is using a computer. They all love their computer but its not really part of their life, what they do. Even Deepak, at his desk, has no computer. Why is that?

Finally, I think for people who are striving in society there is often a tendency to want to separate from the pack, to excel. Does seeing people all over the world claim to be PCs sort of make a person think, maybe I want to do my own thing - as in not being a machine?
  • Reply 78 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

An open field, filled to the horizon with people. As one, they begin to speak slowly:

"I'm a PC, and I have a virus. I can't do my work today. I can't show you my pictures today. I can't play my games today. I can't listen to music today. I can't get your email today. I can't connect."

Hmm, yeah. Or they might just make it a field of John Hodgemans (John Hodgemen? ) in different clothes, perhaps even with casually dressed ones mixed in, to tie it in more strongly with the existing ad series. They might even take the opportunity to point out something that Dan here has on several occasions...

"Hi, I'm a PC, and I have a virus.

I can't do my work today.

I can't show you my pictures or music today. [I like that one of yours, BTW ? it sounds like PC is sorry that he can't make you proud of him. *sniff*]

And I definitely can't surf the web or check your email today.

"You see, the ugly truth is that...way back in the beginning, I wasn't made to be connected.

And ever since, being connected...has burned me.

I can't do what you need me to do right now.

(brightens) On the other hand, I do have some stuff you might want to see about getting a bigger?"

Cut to Mac logo/product shot.

On the other hand (sorry for repeating myself, heh), I realize Apple could never let themselves do that kind of ad, because (1) it effectively tells people "we've allowed ourselves to descend into a political-style mudslinging campaign with Microsoft", and (2) Mac (Mr. Long) isn't even in the ad, which further reinforces the idea that the ad is only airing as a hurt, spiteful jab against Microsoft's own attack. They'll have to either address it (or ignore it and keep on going) with Mac in the picture, or try a new, different series of ads altogether (which at this point, with this timing, unfortunately, would still come across as being reactionary IMO).
  • Reply 79 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

It's also complete nonsense. It amounts to "I exist" or perhaps "Don't bug me, I'm meditating."

But then that's what's wrong with this whole ad IMO. I keep watching it hoping to see something else but all I end up with is "I'm a PC and I'm kinda stupid."

The whole ad is based on a mistaken premise (that the ""I'm a Mac" ads were about people when they were about machines), and the fact that it's repeated over and over by all these dummies just makes them all look, well ... dumb. No oceanographer, would say "I'm a PC," but a lot of hillbillies that just don't get the original ads might.

Even if you let that part go and parse it as "I use a PC," all the ad is saying is "lots of regular people use PC's." So what? Why are they using them as opposed to Macs? That would be more relevant. If you take it a bit further and look at the people they are using, it's scientists, computer geeks, a few random no name "regular folks" and some B-list celebrities (except Deepak, I don't think he is even considered a celebrity anymore). It's not as if Apple can't turn around and say the exact same thing if they wanted to (with the exception that all the A-list celebrities use Macs).

Finally, even if the ads turn out to be popular, all Apple has to do is stop the Mac vs. PC ads (already a few years old and kinda stale IMO), and the whole basis for this ad evaporates.
  • Reply 80 of 140
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    The add reminded me of a TIAA CREF ad or something. It's not like using a PC is some sort of humanitarian mission, although it feels like it sometimes when helping Windows users.