Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 201 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

One of the biggest Macbook rumors is that the thing will get a price cut. If that happens, the refurbished models will also go down in price... so I'd say it's worth waiting even if you decide not to get a new one.

I went into the Square Group, an apple premium retailer and they wouldn't tell me a lot but what they did tell me is that the bottom of the range will be a higher model and that the bottom of the range would cost more so if you are looking for low price, don't wait as you will be disappointed.
  • Reply 202 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tewks View Post

They wouldn't tell me a lot but what they did tell me is that the bottom of the range will be a higher model and that the bottom of the range would cost more so if you are looking for low price, don't wait as you will be disappointed.

That's really interesting.

The Square Group is certainly one of the major and best Apple retailers in the UK; not your mom and pop corner shop. They should know - if Apple tells its dealers anything.

This could confirm rumors that Apple tries to merge MacBook and MacBook Pro into one line, which would be considered more 'upmarket'.

Which of course would leave room for a new, smaller and cheaper laptop/tablet/whatever. But as most people think, this being a consumer product, it would likely be introduced at MacWorld in January.

Seems like no cheap laptops between October and January...

Unless that product is the fabled 'brick' and gets introduced at the same time.
  • Reply 203 of 287
    We certainly have a lot of second guessing here, and not one shred of hard evidence to back any of it up. The simple truth is that we must wait until Apple is ready for us to know exactly what they are doing, as anything else is pure BS. HTH

If anyone needs a laptop now, go buy it now. If you can wait, then wait. It is isn't any more complicated than that.
  • Reply 204 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

Unless that product is the fabled 'brick' and gets introduced at the same time.

I'm more inclined to believe posters on this site and others like it when it comes to rumours than I am a CSR at an Apple reseller.

The brick sounds like a horrible name for a consumer electronic. First of all, the name implies a something heavy, with squared off sides. Secondly, it's already a pejorative term for electronics with imbedded OSes that will no longer work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

We certainly have a lot of second guessing here, and not one shred of hard evidence to back any of it up. The simple truth is that we must wait until Apple is ready for us to know exactly what they are doing, as anything else is pure BS. HTH

If anyone needs a laptop now, go buy it now. If you can wait, then wait. It is isn't any more complicated than that.

There is a lot of guessing, there always is, it is appleinsider, after all. But there is a good of the speculation that is based on previous releases, 3rd-party component releases and pricing, and common sense so there are some things that are very likely to occur. For instance, After 9 months we know that Apple is overdue for a notebook refresh and that it's about time for case renewal, so the Tuesday, October 14th presentation date is likely. Even you recommended that one should wait, if they can, which is based off at least some of that information.
  • Reply 205 of 287
    Ugh... I wish we had some more to go on, waiting was never my strong suit.. lol
  • Reply 206 of 287
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I beg to differ. Apple is like the 4th or 5th biggest computer builder in the world, hardly a "boutique" shop as somebody claimed here. Also, when you compare how small the number of configurations is, I think the bulk sizes of Apple approach if not exceed those of Dell and HP.

I think you don't fully realize the difference in size between Dell/HP and Apple. World wide sales not even close.
  • Reply 207 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm more inclined to believe posters on this site and others like it when it comes to rumours than I am a CSR at an Apple reseller.

The brick sounds like a horrible name for a consumer electronic. First of all, the name implies a something heavy, with squared off sides. Secondly, it's already a pejorative term for electronics with imbedded OSes that will no longer work.

There is a lot of guessing, there always is, it is appleinsider, after all. But there is a good of the speculation that is based on previous releases, 3rd-party component releases and pricing, and common sense so there are some things that are very likely to occur. For instance, After 9 months we know that Apple is overdue for a notebook refresh and that it's about time for case renewal, so the Tuesday, October 14th presentation date is likely. Even you recommended that one should wait, if they can, which is based off at least some of that information.

Quite so, wait if you can, if it makes sense for you. However, I'm not so sure that the next release will be as earth shattering as some think. Most new releases are traditionally not that different from the previous models. We should not lose sight of the fact that current models will handle the tasks that most of us need handled, and even if a new model will do it faster, it will likely not be be that much faster. The biggest changes are visible when one compares new models with those from 3-4 generations back. Even a current MacBook makes my old G4 Titanium look pretty sad when it comes to performance.
  • Reply 208 of 287
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

It seems obvious that Apple is the single largest procurer from Intel for the few select chips that they use. This has to be a growing issue for Apple as they aren't going to continue to sell the old chips while advertising the new Intel chips as BTO option. They change their product line at once and they are usually in the store that day for demo and purchasing. Since they are growing so fast, they will have to continually wait for Intel to ramp up production while the HP, Sony, and Dell can advertise, like they are now, that they have Montevina/Penryn available for purchase. I think Apple is going to have to increase their product line in order to cope with this issue or they will have to continue to wait for Intel production to get going. I suppose they could get with Intel and prohibit the sale of the new chips until they are ready to supply to Apple, but that is not a viable business option for Intel.

I'm not so sure this is a problem for Apple.

With Apple purchasing such expensive chips. I'm sure they have to amortize the cost over the life of that product configuration. Which is one reason everything stays the same until the next big update.

Montevina for the most part is a negligible update over Santa Rosa. Outside of being one notch above the chipset road maps there isn't much significant performance improvements from adopting it. Or increased sales because of it.

Plus their isn't much of a rush because Intel won't have their next major mobile chip update until Q3 09.
  • Reply 209 of 287
    Quote:

What just drives me nuts are the comments from the instant gratification generation. "If I buy a new Mac, and newer model comes out, then I'm jumping off of the roof!" That might be a tad melodramatic, but I'm sure that you know what I mean. Most of those people do not begin to use the full capacity of current and previous models, much less have a genuine need for even more. It's actually more about the status symbol, the elevated (in their mind) level of coolness, that comes with having the latest and greatest, but they use all manner of manufactured reasons why they just have to have this new model.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, many folks are buying refurbs, saving money, and enjoying their Mac as much as anyone else is. I can appreciate a new model, but I certainly don't need every new model as they hit the market, and neither do most other folks.
  • Reply 210 of 287
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    So it seems that there really isn't much of a real reason to have huge updates without the nex-gen CPUs & chipsets that deserve such fanfare.

So maybe we just get some freshened chassis for the laptops. Yes, that even includes the MacBook switching to the Al chassis. It is new to the MacBook line, but it is really no more than a refresh of the MacBook Pro line. I would think one of the main factors in moving the MacBooks over to the Al chassis has to do with volume savings.

And as I write this, I realize that we will probably not see a tablet until MacWorld in January 2009, at the earliest. This would be an interim high-profile product to draw media attention and continue to push the iPod/iPhone halo effect sales.

The REAL upgrades come with the nex-gen CPUs/chipsets in the later part of 2009 & the introduction of Snow Leopard. Then we will see Apple pushing OS X to run circles around Windows in performance, ever increasing the overall Apple marketshare.

2010, dual multi-touch screens in the laptop models, top & bottom. Multi-touch monitors in the iMacs & Cinema Display units.

2012, direct connection to the cerebral cortex…

Oh, and the end of the Mayan calendar and therefore, the end of the world…

Good times…
  • Reply 211 of 287
    Quote:

What just drives me nuts are the comments from the instant gratification generation. "If I buy a new Mac, and newer model comes out, then I'm jumping off of the roof!" That might be a tad melodramatic, but I'm sure that you know what I mean. Most of those people do not begin to use the full capacity of current and previous models, much less have a genuine need for even more. It's actually more about the status symbol, the elevated (in their mind) level of coolness, that comes with having the latest and greatest, but they use all manner of manufactured reasons why they just have to have this new model.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, many folks are buying refurbs, saving money, and enjoying their Mac as much as anyone else is. I can appreciate a new model, but I certainly don't need every new model as they hit the market, and neither do most other folks.

you hit the nail on the head. i am waiting to buy incase of a price drop on the current models after the new mb is out. i have a friend who owns a mbp and i swear he has never done anything on it a non pro model couldnt easily handle. i am tired of people referencing the magnetic power jack when asked why the spent the extra cash on an apple. a lot of people buy them and dont really know the benifits.
  • Reply 212 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brekfustuvluzerz View Post

you hit the nail on the head. i am waiting to buy incase of a price drop on the current models after the new mb is out.

and of course he surge in the 2nd hand market e.g. ebay as soon as the model is released and everyone flogs their "defunct" 6mth old macbooks...

their loss, my gain!
  • Reply 213 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brekfustuvluzerz View Post

you hit the nail on the head. i am waiting to buy incase of a price drop on the current models after the new mb is out. i have a friend who owns a mbp and i swear he has never done anything on it a non pro model couldnt easily handle. i am tired of people referencing the magnetic power jack when asked why the spent the extra cash on an apple. a lot of people buy them and dont really know the benifits.

There are those of us, however, with 3 year old iBook G4's that can no longer run iTunes smoothly. We're eagerly waiting for the moment Apple puts these new MacBooks up for sale.
  • Reply 214 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mezzkat View Post

There are those of us, however, with 3 year old iBook G4's that can no longer run iTunes smoothly. We're eagerly waiting for the moment Apple puts these new MacBooks up for sale.

As the owner of a G4 Titanium, I understand what you're saying, a new laptop model will be a marked improvement over your iBook. Plus, as long as your iBook is still working you can hang on until next month's release. I would do the same.

I sat through a Photoshop presentation a couple of months ago, and it was done on an old G4 PowerBook. Trust me when I tell you that it was painful to sit there waiting for the screen to render changes. The rest of the meeting was done on a newer MacBook, and it just ran circles around the old G4. Back when the G4 was new, we had nothing better to compare it with, but we certainly do now.

Three months ago, I replaced my old G5 iMac 1.6 GHz, with a new Intel iMac 2.8 GHz, and that gave me a huge performance increase.

However, if I was needing a laptop for school, which has already started, then I would have already bought one. The final grade point, earned while using a current model, is not going to be any different than it would be if a new model had been released 2 months ago. Some people cannot separate want from need.
  • Reply 215 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

hat drives me nuts, too! On that same note, there ar teh ones that same that newest products, even the day they come out, are not good enough. For example, the iPhone was announced less than 2 years ago with significantly more on-board flash than any other phone, but that wasn't good enough. "If only it had 16GB, I'd buy one." When 16GB became available we heard comments (probably from the same people), ""If only it had 32GB, I'd buy one." When 32GB comes to fruition we'll surely hear, "If only it had 64GB, I'd buy one." I understand the desire the desire to keep wanting to push the envelope with technology, but some people never seem to be happy with anything. Will I get a 32GB iPhone when it comes out, probably; but I'm more than happy with 16GB right now.
  • Reply 216 of 287
    Quote:

hat drives me nuts, too! On that same note, there ar teh ones that same that newest products, even the day they come out, are not good enough. For example, the iPhone was announced less than 2 years ago with significantly more on-board flash than any other phone, but that wasn't good enough. "If only it had 16GB, I'd buy one." When 16GB became available we heard comments (probably from the same people), ""If only it had 32GB, I'd buy one." When 32GB comes to fruition we'll surely hear, "If only it had 64GB, I'd buy one." I understand the desire the desire to keep wanting to push the envelope with technology, but some people never seem to be happy with anything. Will I get a 32GB iPhone when it comes out, probably; but I'm more than happy with 16GB right now.

Folks like you, and me with my 8 GB iPod touch, that I'm completely satisfied with, generate a jaundiced view from the crybaby crowd.
  • Reply 217 of 287
    since when did this become a complain about other people forum?!?! if they wanna sit home at there computers and wine let them no one is forcing you to read their posts? this is a rumors forum so lets get on with the rumors.
  • Reply 218 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

since when did this become a complain about other people forum?!?! if they wanna sit home at there computers and wine let them no one is forcing you to read their posts? this is a rumors forum so lets get on with the rumors.

If you want to listen to the crybabies, and not make comment, that's your choice. I'm going to voice my opinion, and if you don't like that, tough! BTW, it's "whine", not wine. HTH

You apparently like to deal in rumors, and in fact think that this is a rumor forum, which simply means that you have decided to label it to suit yourself. Nowhere on this site does it say that Future Hardware is a rumor forum. Perhaps you find dealing with facts a little too restrictive, or maybe you're another one the "I know how to run Apple better then Apple does" crowd, there's certainly a bunch of you know-it-alls here.
  • Reply 219 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post

If posters can whine about products before thinking through the logistics of why something was or wasn't released, I certainly have a right to whine about the whiners, just as you have a right to whine about the whiner whiners' whining about the whiners.
  • Reply 220 of 287
    Quote:

If posters can whine about products before thinking through the logistics of why something was or wasn't released, I certainly have a right to whine to about the whiners, just as you have a right to whine about the whiner whiners whining about the whiners.