China Mobile asking Apple to intentionally cripple iPhones?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    china mobile simply doesn't want the users to use skype or other VoIP programs to harm their already too much revenue.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is simply not true. For insance, just a couple of months ago, when I was there, I could could not access a whole bunch of sites, including something as simple and basic as maps.google.com.

There are work-arounds for everything.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    The hi end Chinese customers are willing to pay $500+ for hi end phones. Apple does not need to cut a deal with China Mobile. They can sell unlocked 3G phones at a premium. Consumers can buy them from any shop and use their own SIM cards... just like they are doing.

Even better would be to upgrade the old 2G phone and add GPS. Sell them unlocked in the Hong Kong market at premium. Merchants will figure out to get the product to mainland markets and distribution.

The global economies are slowing... Apple needs to quit playing these market restrictive games. Have an open architecture and let the product take off!
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis

Seriously, the iPhone needed 256MB with the 2.0 software update - 128MB may have been adequate running a handful of Apple apps, but with people now running all kinds of memory-hungry apps while at the same time listening to music, running push/fetch mail in the background, not to mention the SMS and phone apps - 128MB is just not enough any more. I really hope they address this shortcoming in the next iPhone!!

I didn't buy the next iPhone. I purchased the first and the second iPhone.

If Apple is writing code for their next phone then keep it and test it with BETA TESTERS!

I want my iPhone to work as advertised and quit the BS app crashing, quit Safari randomly shutting down and quit suppressing their developers.

Apple isn't a Forum for "Think Different" anymore. It's Apple saying my way or the highway.

Apple Think Different or GOOGLE will eat your lunch and what was supposed to be a rise to the top will crumble like it did last time for the same reasons.

I'm old. I remember.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Fortune cookie says...

"NO IPHONE FOR YOU."
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

The hi end Chinese customers are willing to pay $500+ for hi end phones. Apple does not need to cut a deal with China Mobile. They can sell unlocked 3G phones at a premium. Consumers can buy them from any shop and use their own SIM cards... just like they are doing.

Even better would be to upgrade the old 2G phone and add GPS. Sell them unlocked in the Hong Kong market at premium. Merchants will figure out to get the product to mainland markets and distribution.

The global economies are slowing... Apple needs to quit playing these market restrictive games. Have an open architecture and let the product take off!

This is exactly right - and on top of it Apple has been selling the iTouch in China ever since it came out, so there is no real reason for them to ask for the WiFi to be disabled. Plenty of phones have internet access in China - all those high end phones that are priced up there. I take it that this is mostly because Chinese top dogs have no ability to think outside any box.

And, you can add to the list of websites that don't work: Wikipedia and periodically BBC, CNN, Myspace, Facebook, and Yahoo! :-) God - living in China can really be a depressing information drain sometimes.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

Why not just sell the 3G iPhone unlocked in the Hong Kong market (people can always turn off 3G if they want to)? Wait! They just started doing this: see this article.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Ever thought about the fact that your comments and lack of media news is because everytime a user writes anything other than what you want to hear you pull their comments.

MacRumors is far more open (like Google) than you are.

Keep with your Apple/Microsoft Ways and wither away with them and my two iPhones.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For those who want it in China, they can access the same information that the rest of the world can access.

Not really.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

No, there aren't.

Even if there were, it's illegal there, and only a very few would be able to do it anyway.

The government there doesn't slap you on the wrist for doing what you're not supposed to do. They chain the wrist to the prison wall.
  • Reply 31 of 52
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

If you sort of think about it, wouldn't any self-respecting police state actually want people to use on-line maps? This would tell them a lot about the places people are interested in or are planning to go to.

You need to access http://ditu.google.cn in China to get proper maps in China, dunno why that is though. (ditu(地圖) means map)
  • Reply 33 of 52
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    If China Mobile's motive is to stop VOIP, then they can do that themselves in their network, right?

No need to change the phone. At worst, they could negotiate for Apple to ban VOIP 3rd party apps as part of the deal.

I hope Apple don't submit to complicating their product line by accepting these iPhone changes. It is a great strength in terms of quality and support to have a single product line.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Hmm, Im not sure how in the US (do tell me if you all pay full price or most of you all use subsidized phones, extra knowledge is always good ), but here in Asia, Indonesia, Malaysia and etc.We have cell providers that provide phone subsidy, but to be honest, majority of us pay full price for the phone. We dont use contracts. I wonder if Apple should change their policy for Asian countries?
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

work around implies that the access is no free and easy, average joe in china won't be accessing sites that the supreme council doesn't want him to.

If he Does find a work around to access it, theres a fairly strong chance that he would be found out and jailed.... at best.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Hmm, no wifi and 3G. I'll bet it would have great battery life!

It would also, of course, be relatively useless. I can sort of understand the 3G thing, but I would not compromise on the wifi, no way no how.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Why is WIFI banned in China?
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Why is WIFI banned in China?

It's not. Wifi is freely available throughout China - though of course the internet is heavily censored. There are also 3G handsets from all major manufacturers available widely for years now in China and they are unmodified. This story doesn't make any sense. I think somebody has got the wrong end of the stick. Also I bought an iPod Touch here with wifi. (I've lived in Shanghai for nearly 5 years now.)
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Let consumers decide. If they want to pay for crippled phones, let them. If they don't, they're not worse off than today, anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Let China wait , give Malaysia iPhone first

Besides, they deserve it, poor babies .

Malaysia must be in Apple's Phase 13 plan