WebKit becomes first browser engine to fully pass Acid3 test

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    I can't help smiling when I read this article. It just tries to state fact. But even so my Apple tainted mind smiles, realizing there is no need to direct spicy comments at Microsoft when the fact speak for itself
  • Reply 22 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

ACID3 tests a lot of SVG. People often see Acid as 'the thing that makes a browser good/perfect' but in fact it just tests a small part of mostly rendering aspects of the browser.

....Which doesnt mean it's not a good thing. I'm glad there are tests like these.

It is *a* test of standards compliance, though possibly the most rigorous one available. As I understand it, it tests a lot of corner cases, but hopefully that means that most normal stuff has a better chance of being rendered properly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Who cares with who gets 100 in Acid3 first? The point is, WebKit and Presto is fully standard compliant.

Oh yea, erm...when people mention the major browsers, people only mention, IE, Firefox and Safari. Its a lil bit sad that eventhough Opera Presto passed Acid3 test with flying colors, no one really talk about it.

I don't think a bit of competitiveness between those teams hurt.

I don't know about Opera. It's nice that they are out there giving people another option, it's not as if there are too many major programs that do this. Maybe it just means either they can't market themselves out of a paper bag or not many really like their product. It's not a bad program, I just don't like it. Outside of some gimmick a few years ago, it seems like they aren't out promoting their product.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Here's a comparison of browsers and Acid3.

http://www.anomalousanomaly.com/2008/03/06/acid-3/

LOL! It's funny to see that IE 5.5 does better than IE 6 and 7 xD
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Sadly, with IE performing so poorly I think it shows ACID doesn't matter - to the universe at large. IE still has the lion's share of the browser market, if it doesn't work in IE, it doesn't work. You can explain till you're blue in the face to any computer illiterate person, manager, or CIO why IE is mockably bad and they won't care or understand. Microsoft is the de facto standard and IE is from MS, therefore whatever IE does is right.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Sadly, with IE performing so poorly I think it shows ACID doesn't matter - to the universe at large. IE still has the lion's share of the browser market, if it doesn't work in IE, it doesn't work. You can explain till you're blue in the face to any computer illiterate person, manager, or CIO why IE is mockably bad and they won't care or understand. Microsoft is the de facto standard and IE is from MS, therefore whatever IE does is right.

- Jasen.

Using the terms "computer illiterate person", "manager", and "CIO" in the same

sentence is somewhat redundant. Any one of those terms would have strongly

implied the other two, right?
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

- Jasen.

Things are changing though. In some countries Firefox is starting to get more share than IE:

http://www.xitimonitor.com/en-us/bro...1-2-3-127.html
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paolo Bosetti View Post

For what it worths, I downloaded Safari beta 4 (build 5526.11.2) on 12 aug 2008, and it passes Acid3 with a perfect score and smooth animation...

Cheers,

-P.

After running the test, click the "A" in Acid on the page and it will display a summary of the test (ie, timing, etc.). This tells you how well it performed. Just the fact that you "thought" it was smooth doesn't mean it was.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sfitzjava View Post

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...the-acid3-test

Right, so like March 2quarter ago doesn't really matter.....

So like 100/100 isn't like a perfect score, and doing it in record time is like so yesterday.

Nice try apple. sorry but too late once again.

Oh hows that java working on your iphone.... oh that's right you can't figure out how to support that.... lazy bastards!!!!!!

=TheJava!!

Who really *wants* Java? The only reason it is still used by some developers is because it has functionality that never used to be available to web developers. But that's changed. You can create almost anything with Javascript and web services now.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Ok long title but really Safari on IPhone is becoming a sore spot. Mostly due to crashes. I can deal with and sort of exspect a lack of features, but one of the supplied feature shouldn't be a crash every five minutes. Honestly you would think that fewer features would mean more stability!

In any event WebKit on the desktop rocks. It is to bad the web kit people don't have a nightly build for IPhone!

dave
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Ok long title but really Safari on IPhone is becoming a sore spot. Mostly due to crashes. I can deal with and sort of exspect a lack of features, but one of the supplied feature shouldn't be a crash every five minutes. Honestly you would think that fewer features would mean more stability!

In any event WebKit on the desktop rocks. It is to bad the web kit people don't have a nightly build for IPhone!

dave

Submitting crash-prone sites to bugs.webkit.org is probably the best way for you to help resolve this situation.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Who really *wants* Java? The only reason it is still used by some developers is because it has functionality that never used to be available to web developers. But that's changed. You can create almost anything with Javascript and web services now.

I want Java. You can do a lot more in JavaScript than you used to, but it's still a lot easier to do in Java and get it right. And it would give us Google Street View on the iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I want Java. You can do a lot more in JavaScript than you used to, but it's still a lot easier to do in Java and get it right. And it would give us Google Street View on the iPhone.

I can't believe the guy commenting has the balls to compare Javascript with Java and somehow ignores scalability, n-tier designs, so on and so forth.

Javascript will never be Java, nor will it be ObjC, C++, C, Eiffel, Smalltalk, etc.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

- Jasen.

My sentiments exactly, and much better said. Nothing matters as long as web developers ignore standards and code to make things work on IE while leaving other browsers to conform. The only solution is increased market share and pressure from customers to FORCE the developers to use standards compliant code. Even then they will still have to make sure things work in IE.

And like the poster said you can't convince someone who sees that a website works with IE but not with Safari that it is the website's fault and not Safari. They can't even comprehend such an argument.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Quote:

- Jasen.

That is absolutely correct, and I think that is the purpose of browsers such as Chrome, which is to try and dethrone IE. The more browsers pass the ACID test, the more IE would be forced to follow, or maybe not.