Microsoft vs. Apple: the multi-touch war

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This site shows a possible look at the future of Apple?s mobile and multi-touch computing future.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=479

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

This site shows a possible look at the future of Apple?s mobile and multi-touch computing future.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/igeneration/?p=479

Touchscreens are good for portable/mobile devices but I don't ever

expect them to replace keyboard/mouse as an input modality but rather

augment it where it makes sense.

I have no desire to paint with my fingers..a stylus makes more sense there. For

dictation I prefer voice recognition. For general OS navigation I like M/KB and

voice commands.

I love Multi Touch for small portable devices that benefit from having larger

screens.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I don't know about the desktop, that's a tricky animal when it comes to touch. The obvious first step from the iPhone to the Mac when it comes to touch is a tablet, or more accurately a new category of device I like to call the "table tablet". This device is all touch screen, but has the addition of a pop-out rest on the back so it can sit and an angle and be used much like a laptop on a table, tray or bar. The reason is has no physical keyboard is obvious, it's not a laptop. If you want a laptop, get a laptop. Touch Finder, swipe-able dock, spotlight, it'll be a Mac. But with an obvious directly consumer target market. This device will be like an internet tablet and a mobile computer for those who do some work on the move with no need for a laptop. It would also be great for school and couch computing. It could fill a lot of niche markets and well as some very large mainstream ones. It will be cool, and revolutionary.

Mac touch

On the Mac touch the dock will work like the iPhone's home screen(s).

<------------ Swipe left or right to view your other docks ------------>
  • Reply 3 of 9
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Touchscreens are good for portable/mobile devices but I don't ever

expect them to replace keyboard/mouse as an input modality but rather

augment it where it makes sense.

I have no desire to paint with my fingers..a stylus makes more sense there. For

dictation I prefer voice recognition. For general OS navigation I like M/KB and

voice commands.

I love Multi Touch for small portable devices that benefit from having larger

screens.

I totally agree with that. And then some.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    a new category of device I like to call the "table tablet".

The term I've coined is TapTop computer. I think the greatest use for it would be in information kiosks, automated restaurant ordering, automated retail sales assistant, hospitality industry assistants, etc., these (and others) being the niches MS has identified as potential buyers of its Surface Computer.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roger Knights View Post

a new category of device I like to call the "table tablet".

The term I've coined is TapTop computer. I think the greatest use for it would be in information kiosks, automated restaurant ordering, automated retail sales assistant, hospitality industry assistants, etc., these (and others) being the niches MS has identified as potential buyers of its Surface Computer.

I think you're missing the biggest market for this Apple tablet, the early-adopter consumer. It could be perfect for use on the couch, and everyone has a couch. It could also, if done right, be an amazing education device. If it had a way to drop in reader mode that would be a huge bonus too. It could replace all your books, and be placed on a desktop in the same way a book could.

Personally I never liked laptops, I never felt compelled to get one. This tablet though, if it was done similar to the way I envision I would get it in heartbeat. I dream for a device like this from Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you're missing the biggest market for this Apple tablet, the early-adopter consumer. It could be perfect for use on the couch, and everyone has a couch. It could also, if done right, be an amazing education device. If it had a way to drop in reader mode that would be a huge bonus too. It could replace all your books, and be placed on a desktop in the same way a book could.

Personally I never liked laptops, I never felt compelled to get one. This tablet though, if it was done similar to the way I envision I would get it in heartbeat. I dream for a device like this from Apple.

I'm using my iPod Touch on the couch right now (go Packers!). There really isn't much of a couch market, though. My attention goes back to the TV pretty quickly and something bigger than a Touch would be more of a distraction. Remember, people on the couch need a hand free for chips and a drink. I can at least protect the Touch by putting it in my pocket. Bigger tablets would be asking for something to be spilled on them.

Let's just have a Mac Mini TV hybrid, see what people do with it, and go from there.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong

Remember, people on the couch need a hand free for chips and a drink.

American?

Quote:

Let's just have a Mac Mini TV hybrid, see what people do with it, and go from there.

And what would this device do? What would it be marketed as? I think the best Apple could do is refresh the mini to shut everyone here up, and then add a DVD slot to the Apple TV to make the device truly useful. I don't want an extra device beside my DVD player, I want an easy to use, tiny, DVD player that also does everything the Apple TV does. Our Macs have CD slots but we choose to buy music from iTunes because of selection and convenience. This Apple TV with a DVD slot would be a similar situation, but rather than using the slot for importing music - which is easy, the DVD slot would be used for playing our libraries of DVDs we all have.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

American?

Wisconsinite. :P

The Touch would make a nice remote for Mini TV, now that I think of it. Aren't people already using it as a mouse for their Macs? If you have one and an HDTV, then you can BYOKM.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

The Touch would make a nice remote for Mini TV. If you have one and an HDTV, then you can BYOKM.

Could you clarify this statement.