Is there a limit to how many iPhones you can buy?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi,

Is there currently a limit to how many iPhones you can buy on one line?

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    One line?... you mean for one number??? .... one phone number = one line/phone/sim. not much point in having more.

Now, with multiple numbers attached to one account (with ATT)... I don't know if ATT imposes a limit on that or not.

Apple used to (maybe still do?) limit you to two phones purchased AT ONE TIME. You could always come back an hour later and purchase two more... etc, etc, etc.

So... I THINK the answer to your question lies with ATT (or whatever carrier you use) as to how many "lines/phones" can be attached to a single account.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for your answer, it helped a bit but what I was really getting at was this: can you go to the store and buy an iPhone, and then immediately after buy another iPhone and put it on the same line? The first iPhone would be deactivated and the second one would work. If you did this, and kept going, is there a limit to how many iPhones you can buy?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I haven't read the ATT contract, but I'm gonna guess that for each phone you DE-activate, you are going to get hit with an "early termination fee"... since a non-contract iPhone sells for about $500 more than the one with a 2-year contract, they are somewhat subsidized.

Other than paying that fee, I don't see why you couldn't do that as many times as you wished. Of course, you'd now have a hard time selling those phones for any sort of profit after paying the fee
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I don't think there is a termination fee. I'm not opting out of my contract. I'm just upgrading my phone. I'm not eligible for the discount pricing though because I'm not eligible for an upgrade (I already have the iPhone 3G.) Am I right?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

Thanks for your answer, it helped a bit but what I was really getting at was this: can you go to the store and buy an iPhone, and then immediately after buy another iPhone and put it on the same line? The first iPhone would be deactivated and the second one would work. If you did this, and kept going, is there a limit to how many iPhones you can buy?

You're asking if you can buy an account, deactivate one and buy a replacement and then resell the first one at auction and pocket the change.

Good luck with that one.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're asking if you can buy an account, deactivate one and buy a replacement and then resell the first one at auction and pocket the change.

Good luck with that one.

Why do you say good luck? Is there something wrong with what I'm trying to do?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contegni View Post

Why do you say good luck? Is there something wrong with what I'm trying to do?

Nothing WRONG with it, but where's the profit margin??? How do you expect to make it worth the effort??

You won't be buying "replacement" phones for the same $299 you get the first one for... If you haven't held it for 2 years, you're going to pay a hefty premium... at one point they actually advertised it, though I notice they don't now. If memory serves, they were touting a non-contracted phone at $699???... Do you expect to be able to turn around and sell the used ones for that price?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Nothing WRONG with it, but where's the profit margin??? How do you expect to make it worth the effort??

You won't be buying "replacement" phones for the same $299 you get the first one for... If you haven't held it for 2 years, you're going to pay a hefty premium... at one point they actually advertised it, though I notice they don't now. If memory serves, they were touting a non-contracted phone at $699???... Do you expect to be able to turn around and sell the used ones for that price?

After I bought my first iPhone (the one I am using) I bought another one at the Apple store. It went smoothly, but I had to pay the full price. I sold it to some guy I found on craigslist for slightly more than I paid and I made a few bucks. It's convenient for me to get to an Apple store and since my brother works in Manhattan, I have access to a lot of potential buyers. When I went back to buy another iPhone, however, the systems blocked it. It said there was a problem with my account and I should contact AT&T. When I called, they said nothing was wrong and the transaction should have went through. They suggested I go to an AT&T store and settle it. I went to my local AT&T, and at first didn't explain my issue. I just told him I wanted to buy an iPhone, and I would just see how it went. When I gave him my account information and the line I wanted to upgrade, he said there was already and iPhone on my line. I was honest with him and told him my intentions to sell the new iPhone I was going to buy. He was confused and then he told me about this 'rule' AT&T had. He said that because there was already an iPhone on my account, he couldn't sell me another one unless his manager was there, and since it was Sunday, his manager wasn't in. He then threatened me and told me that if I tried to buy an iPhone and sell it, it would be fraud. He said my account would be suspended and that I would get sued by AT&T. Basically, he was saying it was illegal for me to buy an iPhone at the full price while signing a new 2 year contact AND paying the upgrade fee if I had the intentions to sell it.

That's why I'm asking this question. I'm just curious if there is a rule/law against what I'm trying to do.

I hope that's more clear, and thanks for your help.