Next-gen MacBook shipments begin ahead of 'sharp ramp'

Comments

• Reply 261 of 287

Alex, you have been outed as a low-life troll. I changed absolutely NOTHING. If I had changed anything, there would be a "last edited" post script on the bottom of my post.

All of your "points" are based on a refutation of a statement that I never even made. In fact, no one else here has either.

Get a life and stop fabricating things.

What a trolling loser.
  • Reply 262 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

1)

Therefore, I stand by my statement that after reading your post, its stupidity made me look at your post count. So you're the one that needs to learn how to read.

Hey, genius, my reference to your low post count is simply a jab at your ridiculous assertion that I'm a troll because my post count is low, but then again your logic and basic reading skills are lacking...I mean, missing.

Now crawl back into your little cave, trollie.
  • Reply 263 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Leaving the OS out of it, other PC vendors tend to charge considerably more for Apple for equivalent HW as you get to the higher-end machines. Whether it's because they aren't buying in the same volume as Apple since they have so many models and an average sale price half that of a Mac or figure they can make up their entry level losses with their higher tier machines or a combo of the two I don't know.

The second one. Companies like Dell and HP subsidize their cheap consumer PC sales with business, workstation, and "gamer" PC sales, which I assure you are not low-volume.
  • Reply 264 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

The second one. Companies like Dell and HP subsidize their cheap consumer PC sales with business, workstation, and "gamer" PC sales, which I assure you are not low-volume.

Define high-volume in comparison to Apple? Apple has 2 sizes of their pro machines with only 3 Intel CPU choices, They also only have 1 pro workstation with only 3 Intel CPU choices. With a 70% dominance in the consumer market where gaming aren't commonly sold and double the average price for their PCs, it seems that Apple does do much higher volume for select HW over the other vendors.
  • Reply 265 of 287
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

\t

Alex, you have been outed as a low-life troll. I changed absolutely NOTHING. If I had changed anything, there would be a "last edited" post script on the bottom of my post.

All of your "points" are based on a refutation of a statement that I never even made. In fact, no one else here has either.

Get a life and stop fabricating things.

What a trolling loser.

Hey, that's kinda mean. I didn't call you any other names besides troll, did I? Or do really want to play the name game?

I guess it really does matter how late I stay up and post. Need to go to sleep earlier next time then post in the morning when I'm reading straight. I actually don't know where the "usefulness" word came from.

But in all seriousness, I realize that it would say that you would've edited your post. I just could swear that it read "useless".

In any case, all of my "points" are still valid. Saying "useless" (as you obviously did not), is just as close to the extreme that you used - "not attractive alternatives at all". If you could, please explain to me how my "points" don't hold up. In fact, I think I'll do it for you. What I will do here is take my reply to your original post on this page and substitute the word "useless" with "not attractive alternatives at all". Here we go:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Sub $1000 Windows laptops are useful, and often have better specs than comparable MacBooks: ExpressCard slots, USB ports, and video cards come to mind (I'm looking at you, non-pro MacBook). As for the issue of being"not attractive at all"- it is tricky, as what might be "attractive" for you might not be so for others. I'm perfectly aware of the growth the Mac is experiencing when compared to the PC industry, etc, etc. What the market place tell us today is that people prefer those machines to Macs by a very large margin. Period.

Therefore, to say that sub-$1000 Windows computers are "not attractive at all" is silly. And it's just downright moronic to ignore the emerging sub-notebook market: it's there, it's young, but it has the potential to literally get a Mac on every lap (or on many more laps). I think Apple is in a perfect position right now to compete in that market with a mini notebook that includes multi-touch on the display. Or it can be a tablet, no keyboard at all. If it's too difficult to type, grab a foldable keyboard.

Quote:

Hey, genius, my reference to your low post count is simply a jab at your ridiculous assertion that I'm a troll because my post count is low, but then again your logic and basic reading skills are lacking...I mean, missing.

Now crawl back into your little cave, trollie.

You seem to really be in love with extremes: not attractive at all, missing, lacking. And you still have the nerve to make the above statement, which makes no sense at all. Moreover, I just showed you above - by replacing the words I accidentally misread - that my point is still valid and still holds true. So how are "my logic and basic reading skills lacking/missing"?

If you want to talk about trolling, let's take the discussion outside of this forum so we don't take up space doing the chicken fight. I'd be glad to email with you and define troll for you, as it clearly doesn't represent anything I have posted (except for the honest mistake of thinking you said "useless"). As far as I know, all of my posts have been thoughtful, insightful, and helpful. You can even check my tech blog in my sig to see that I'm a great Apple fan. If you'd like, PM me and call me a troll, but it's clearly not the case and I'd like this to be the end of our trolling convo/name-calling. Agreed? Oh, and this time, please try and not post your answer in two different posts. It's really unnecessary and a waste of space.

Now that that's done with, I'd like to get back to the topic at hand: I think that Apple will introduce a low-spec, low-cost MacBook to go along with the tough economic times we are facing/entering. I see many people purchasing the ~$300-500 mini notebooks from Dell/Lenovo/HP/Asus, etc. They're cheap, very portable, and get the job done. And that's with Windows. We all know how much Apple can innovate with MultiTouch in such a small form factor.

Having tried some of the aforementioned mini notebooks, I can say that for me it's almost impossible to use the teeny tiny trackpads and smaller-than-normal keyboards on such machines. Therefore, I don't believe that the trackpad/keyboard interface is the way to go in such a small fort factor. I see Apple releasing this MacBook with a 3-6" MultiTouch screen, an Atom processor, and a few USB ports. No keyboard, no mouse. All screen. Like I said before, if the user has trouble typing on the multi-touch screen ala iPhone (I don't have trouble, but some people might), then use a bluetooth keyboard mouse. Come home, plug it into an external monitor, and work away.

I think that Apple simply can't ignore the mini notebook market, especially in these turbulent economic times. I think that they are the only company with enough brains and creativity, however, to really make the best use of such a small device.
  • Reply 266 of 287
    Actually, troll, without even have to read your post, I can already tell you that for me to state that I find no attractive alternatives is nowhere near the same as your claim that I stated that cheap PC laptops are "useless." Even a Pentium II 400MHz Dell from the 90s is still "useful."

Get a life, troll. You are hallucinating.

Where is the ignore button?
  • Reply 267 of 287
    Quote:

Actually, troll, without even have to read your post, I can already tell you that for me to state that I find no attractive alternatives is nowhere near the same as your claim that I stated that cheap PC laptops are "useless." Even a Pentium II 400MHz Dell from the 90s is still "useful."

Get a life, troll. You are hallucinating.

Where is the ignore button?

Oh, it's easy to find, I set him on ignore awhile back, as life is too short to put up with nonsense.
  • Reply 268 of 287
    This is getting ridiculous. Let's get back on topic children.
  • Reply 269 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Oh, it's easy to find, I set him on ignore awhile back, as life is too short to put up with nonsense.

What did he do to you? Claim that you wrote that the sky was green?

Thanks for heads up, BTW. I didn't know that there actually is an ignore list in the control panel.
  • Reply 270 of 287
    macnubmacnub Posts: 18member
    Seriously. we need more from the rumor mill, or an invite to the event. GRRRRR I dont know if i can take it anymore. I need a new lappy486 stat...
  • Reply 271 of 287
    I just popped into a reseller and the chap said that MacBooks are being launched in the next couple of weeks, and MBPs a couple of weeks after that. He didn't know anything else...

Seems odd to launch them seperately...
  • Reply 272 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimothyWimothy View Post

I just popped into a reseller and the chap said that MacBooks are being launched in the next couple of weeks, and MBPs a couple of weeks after that. He didn't know anything else...

Seems odd to launch them seperately...

Resellers are all under an NDA, so you believe what you like. October 14th is not that far off.
  • Reply 273 of 287
    quick question about future macbooks... when do the next ones after montevino upgrade come out? I can't recall the name of the chip at the moment but I know it starts with an N (sorry) Is it supposed to sometime mid january? Also is that upgrade supposed to be a larger jump than this upcoming one we expect within the next few weeks? thanks a lot!
  • Reply 274 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post

quick question about future macbooks... when do the next ones after montevino upgrade come out? I can't recall the name of the chip at the moment but I know it starts with an N (sorry) Is it supposed to sometime mid january? Also is that upgrade supposed to be a larger jump than this upcoming one we expect within the next few weeks? thanks a lot!

Just to be clear, Montevina is a chipset and Nehelam is a CPU. So, Apple is currently using Santa Rosa chipsets with Penryn CPUs. The next machines will use Montevina chipsets with Penryn CPUs. After that, it will Montevina chipsets with Nehelam CPUs.

As for the arrival of Nehalam, it should occur later this year of early next year, but that will be for server and workstation-grade CPUs. Notebook-grade won't happen for about a year.
  • Reply 275 of 287
    I really do hope they up the graphics power of the macbook. I was not happy with my 2.0 core duo gaming power. Or I might have to pick up a used macbook pro.
  • Reply 276 of 287
    thank you for clearing that up!!
  • Reply 277 of 287
    palplepalple Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Just to be clear, Montevina is a chipset and Nehelam is a CPU. So, Apple is currently using Santa Rosa chipsets with Penryn CPUs. The next machines will use Montevina chipsets with Penryn CPUs. After that, it will Montevina chipsets with Nehelam CPUs.

As for the arrival of Nehalam, it should occur later this year of early next year, but that will be for server and workstation-grade CPUs. Notebook-grade won't happen for about a year.

It's not sure that Apple will use the Montevina chipset at all: there rumors about switching to an nvidia chipset with much more powerful integrated graphic. That would be great for MacBooks.
  • Reply 278 of 287
    theo4theo4 Posts: 1member
    Can anyone update the rumours/educated guesses on when the new macbooks will hit the stores? The waiting after 4 months is becoming unbearable!

thnks!
  • Reply 279 of 287
    macnubmacnub Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palple View Post

It's not sure that Apple will use the Montevina chipset at all: there rumors about switching to an nvidia chipset with much more powerful integrated graphic. That would be great for MacBooks.

That is exactly what I am hoping for. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
  • Reply 280 of 287
    zinfellazinfella Posts: 877member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theo4 View Post

Can anyone update the rumours/educated guesses on when the new macbooks will hit the stores? The waiting after 4 months is becoming unbearable!

thnks!

If you need one, go buy it, Apple has plenty of them.