How would I solve this email problem?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This company that I kind of work for (long story) does events about 5 or 6 times a year with anywhere from 60 - 200 people. They need to be able to email this long list of accounts on a fairly regular basis. As of right now they use Yahoo! business, which apparently limits you to 50 BCCs a day, which isn't going to work. I am looking into software for them, but I don't know a thing about this stuff. Is there software out there that will let them send, say 150 emails at one time without being limited? What would this software be called, and how would you avoid the emails being categorized as spam?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    If they don't have an email system in-house then you'll need a hosting company. Do they have a website? Start there if they do. Website hosting providers often have some type of email plan, too.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yeah, they do have a website, I'll look into that. They don't have there own email system, which is really strange. They use Yahoo small business for their email. I'll ask about the hosting serive and see if I can get any information that way. Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    You can send them yourself as you can setup your own computer as a web server. Turn on personal web sharing and PHP and you're up and running. Then you can use something like PHPMailer to run through a list of accounts in a loop - no BCC required. This way you can personalise the email to each recipient too.

You will still need a domain to send from due to some smtp server authentication restrictions. If you have a GMail account, you can use their smtp server and it will be like sending to that many people from a GMail account. It shouldn't get flagged as spam any more than if you'd sent to each one from your GMail.

If you aren't up on development, you can try using an email marketing service such as:

http://www.dotmailer.co.uk/

Some of them have a pay per email pricing. The good thing about these services is they often give you link tracking and info about what emails are bouncing and incorrectly typed emails. If it's just internal stuff, the cost probably isn't justified for the features.

You actually get scripts for email clients that do batch sends too. This might be the easiest option for what you need. Basically, it splits your list into chunks and then BCCs up to the limit in each chunk. You get one for Entourage but I can't remember what it was called. I'l try and see if I can find it. It's just an applescript. You can probably script Mail to do the same.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can send them yourself as you can setup your own computer as a web server. Turn on personal web sharing and PHP and you're up and running. Then you can use something like PHPMailer to run through a list of accounts in a loop - no BCC required. This way you can personalise the email to each recipient too.

You will still need a domain to send from due to some smtp server authentication restrictions. If you have a GMail account, you can use their smtp server and it will be like sending to that many people from a GMail account. It shouldn't get flagged as spam any more than if you'd sent to each one from your GMail.

If you aren't up on development, you can try using an email marketing service such as:

http://www.dotmailer.co.uk/

Some of them have a pay per email pricing. The good thing about these services is they often give you link tracking and info about what emails are bouncing and incorrectly typed emails. If it's just internal stuff, the cost probably isn't justified for the features.

You actually get scripts for email clients that do batch sends too. This might be the easiest option for what you need. Basically, it splits your list into chunks and then BCCs up to the limit in each chunk. You get one for Entourage but I can't remember what it was called. I'l try and see if I can find it. It's just an applescript. You can probably script Mail to do the same.

I was looking into the websites that will send mass emails for you. These aren't internal emails, they are for clients, so I presented that to them, they haven't gotten back to me yet. As for the scripts, wouldn't it be limited by the amount of BCC's you can have? They use Yahoo! there, and I know nothing about there email service. If you can find the script, I'll show them that and see what they say. I'm really not too worried about this whole situation anymore. They seem like they don't care, so why should I.