Sorry I'm new to macs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quick question, I will be purchasing my first macbook soon (probably the current macbook but I'm waiting to see what this "brick" thing is) and I was wondering what I should be most concerned with? I have an external hard drive so I'm not worried about the size of the hard drive, but with memory. How much memory is enough to be able to have several windows and applications open and multi-task without slowing down the speed and having it lag? My university's computer store will be dropping the price of the White macbook (I believe it is the best one with 2GB of memory and what not) from like $1199 to $999 and they offer a memory upgrade to 4GB for about $85 more. Is this a wise decision and should I upgrade the memory??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    1GB is sufficient for light computing, with web browser, mail, chat, and a couple other programs open at the same time.

2GB should be sufficient for a while. 4GB is quite the luxury.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    For most people 2gb should be enough but for me i have at least 4gb on my vista machine and my mac pro even though i will be upgrading the memory on the mac soon to maybe 8gb.

but for me 4gb is good and when i'm doing regular computer stuff like music and just surfing the web and school related work i use up less then half of the 4gb and that is with my vist a machine precaching things into the memory.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    wait for the 14th
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alf05d View Post

quick question, i will be purchasing my first macbook soon (probably the current macbook but i'm waiting to see what this "brick" thing is) and i was wondering what i should be most concerned with? I have an external hard drive so i'm not worried about the size of the hard drive, but with memory. How much memory is enough to be able to have several windows and applications open and multi-task without slowing down the speed and having it lag? My university's computer store will be dropping the price of the white macbook (i believe it is the best one with 2gb of memory and what not) from like $1199 to $999 and they offer a memory upgrade to 4gb for about $85 more. Is this a wise decision and should i upgrade the memory??

Thanks in advance

nd his first pc