PMG5 leopard / hard disk boot issue

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, I have a real headache...

I have a PowerMac G5 which suffered start-up disk death. I installed a new hard disk, performed the extended hardware test from the original install disk and all checked out fine. However, the optical drive will only accept the hardware test disk and not the OS install disks.. bogus.

Now I also have a Macbook. I attempted to install 10.5 (retail disk) via firewire target mode start up. I initialized the hard disk with GUID as instructed and verified it through disk utility. Installation to the HD has taken place and I have completed the install process including registration via the Macbook. The problem is that when i boot the G5 i just get a flashing MacOS / question mark icon and that's it. Booting the Macbook from the same disk via firewire - no problem.

Am i wrong in believing that you can install to a remote drive through another Mac or does the architecture of that particular machine have a bearing on the install type even though an external device / HD was specified for install?

Any help is appreciated... Thank You.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    For those of you who are curious, I think I've found the answer to my problem. No, you cannot use a machine of a different architecture to install over firewire. Thankfully I have access to another G5 and am now writing this on my once dead G5 with Leopard 10.5.5

I installed 10.3.9 and then 10.5 from the 2nd G5 with no problems. Thanks anyway guys! It appears that my original optical drive had fried as well as my original hard disk - weird!!!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    As long as the partition map scheme is Apple partition map, your G5 should be able to boot up.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by telekon View Post

For those of you who are curious, I think I've found the answer to my problem. No, you cannot use a machine of a different architecture to install over firewire. Thankfully I have access to another G5 and am now writing this on my once dead G5 with Leopard 10.5.5

I installed 10.3.9 and then 10.5 from the 2nd G5 with no problems. Thanks anyway guys! It appears that my original optical drive had fried as well as my original hard disk - weird!!!

UPDATE No. 2: FYI don't install Leopard on a cheap HD as it kills it. After 2 weeks I had to revert back to Tiger 10.4.11 - no big deal, I suppose. The directory totally collapsed under Leopard, but months on 10.4.11 is still functioning OK.