Help! Need advice on upgrading to OSX

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm a University student with an iMac 400 SE. I would like to upgrade to OSX for iPhoto, but I keep hearing about how slow the OS is compared to OS9. Can anyone give me some perspective on how classic programs like Office 2001 and Photoshop 6 performs under OSX, especially on my iMac, which has 256MB of RAM.

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    A 400MHz iMac SE with 256MB of RAM won't be slow. I run it on a 233 with 160MB of RAM, it runs very decent considering the lowly specs and age of my system; I can use stuff like IE and Entourage and Photoshop (7) and Illustrator just fine... Classic speed is slightly annoying, but that's what you get when you run two operating systems concurrently (so I don't, anymore ). I put it on a neighbor's Lime 400 the other week and it ran fantastically.

Speed is subjective, and lots of Mac users around here are mighty bitchy. Try it out for yourself... if you don't want to spend $129 with the chance you might consider it slow, you don't have to. I didn't. I bought it after 'trying' it with the help of a friend.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    r. h.r. h. Posts: 56member
    Also, keep in mind that you don't actually give up anything by upgrading to MacOS X, since you can still reboot into OS9 without a hitch. Worst case scenario: you play around with iPhoto to your hearts content, and reboot to get your term paper written.

Of course, Word 2001 keeps up with my typing speed reasonably, (roughly 50 wpm) even in Classic on a G3/300, so you'll probably be perfectly happy with OSX.