MacBook RAM?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
now that the macbooks are out, and i'm getting one, i need to buy two 2gb sticks for mine. the problem is that, for conditions beyond my control, i cannot buy my macbook from the apple store online, which now, in an ironic twist of fate, has fair ram prices; i have to buy my computer and ram separately. i've come upon the problem that good-quality 2gb sticks of ddr3 ram of the macbook's specifications (1066mhz, 204-pin, pc-8500) are hard to find. all i've been able to come up with so far are a pair of owc's, a pair of crucial's, one of patriot's, and one of g-skill's. i know that all of these brands are considered to be pretty bottom-of-the-line models, but should i give in and purchase one of them? are any of the brands specifically known to be, er, less worse than the others?

or would it be possible to use ddr2 ram, if it were the same clock speed? are there any other sites or manufacturers from which i could buy better ddr3 ram, without spending more than $170 or so?

all help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

now that the macbooks are out, and i'm getting one, i need to buy two 2gb sticks for mine. the problem is that, for conditions beyond my control, i cannot buy my macbook from the apple store online, which now, in an ironic twist of fate, has fair ram prices; i have to buy my computer and ram separately. i've come upon the problem that good-quality 2gb sticks of ddr3 ram of the macbook's specifications (1066mhz, 204-pin, pc-8500) are hard to find. all i've been able to come up with so far are a pair of owc's, a pair of crucial's, one of patriot's, and one of g-skill's. i know that all of these brands are considered to be pretty bottom-of-the-line models, but should i give in and purchase one of them? are any of the brands specifically known to be, er, less worse than the others?

or would it be possible to use ddr2 ram, if it were the same clock speed? are there any other sites or manufacturers from which i could buy better ddr3 ram, without spending more than $170 or so?

all help is greatly appreciated!

Crucial (the retail wing of Micron) is a very good brand. Unlike the other three you linked to, they actually manufacture their own memory. I would have no reservations about using their RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i just bought the 2.4ghz aluminum macbook and am shopping too. i made the mistake of buying cheaper ram years ago with my quadra 840av and had the machine play chimes of death when i was on deadline for submitting some remixes.

after that i've gone with what apple's recommended and it's been samsung for me.

i may just have to wait.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepkid View Post

i just bought the 2.4ghz aluminum macbook and am shopping too. i made the mistake of buying cheaper ram years ago with my quadra 840av and had the machine play chimes of death when i was on deadline for submitting some remixes.

after that i've gone with what apple's recommended and it's been samsung for me.

i may just have to wait.

FWIW, Macs with Intel processors are a lot less sensitive to cheap RAM than PPC Macs were. A lot.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    thanks