What build of Mac OS X is on the new MacBooks?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone have a new (late 2008) MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? I'm curious as to what version of Mac OS X they are running.

Obviously there are new extensions and drivers for the new NVIDEA 9400M chipset as well as the new trackpad and display technologies.

Anyone know how long it will take Apple to unify OS X again? Will the new drivers and extensions make their way into the forthcoming 10.5.6 update?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Does anyone have a new (late 2008) MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? I'm curious as to what version of Mac OS X they are running.

Obviously there are new extensions and drivers for the new NVIDEA 9400M chipset as well as the new trackpad and display technologies.

Anyone know how long it will take Apple to unify OS X again? Will the new drivers and extensions make their way into the forthcoming 10.5.6 update?

I just bought a new 2.4GHz MacBook last night. The install dvd says 10.5.5. I can't verify this though because I'm in a hotel. I can't use it until I find an open wifi spot to set it up first. The hotel requires a password. The Apple setup requires an Internet connection. I'll have it going in a couple of hours.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I can't use it until I find an open wifi spot to set it up first. The hotel requires a password. The Apple setup requires an Internet connection.

Don't you just skip past the internet setup and the registration?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Don't you just skip past the internet setup and the registration?

I didn't see any way to do that.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

My new MacBook says 10.5.5. I don't see anything differenct, but, something must be running the multi-touch. Maybe that's already part of 10.5.5 though since it works on the MBP's.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Version 10.5.5 Build 9F2114. The new machines run a different build to other Macs. Something to to with GPU acceleration.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...elerated-h-264
  • Reply 6 of 8
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    A couple of the icons in the System Preferences are different for a start.

Energy Saver has a new icon... I can't remember off the top of my head what the other one was.

But it's definitely a different build...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ninja_Monkey View Post

Version 10.5.5 Build 9F2114. The new machines run a different build to other Macs. Something to to with GPU acceleration.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...elerated-h-264

Right on. There is a difference in the utilities because of the multi-touch track pada, the new configuration of the GPU and CPU and the wireless N router. Nothing is majorly different in software on the computer. OS manufacturers will occasionally update graphics, like the sys pref graphics, just to keep new products fresh.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

The Apple setup requires an Internet connection.

No it doesn't.