Apple's unibody MacBook: the review

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

NO FIREWIRE, NO PURCHASE! That is!

Firewire is not only essential for real audio and video work. It is also essential for trouble-free transfer of large amounts of data. And also to repair and troubleshoots Macs. And the lack of space is no argument at all. Even pendrives have Firewire:

Kanguru Fire Flash

http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html

What is the point of that if only to further the decision to drop FW400 from the MB. The FW pendrive is $100 for a 1GB drive.

As for moving large amounts of data 802.11n and 1000BASE-T are great, fast solutions that allow for significantly decentralized setup. FW400 has its benefits, but being better than other methods in every way it is not.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

Looking at Bare Feats' storage interface shootout, Firewire 400 compared to the new MacBook Pro's (and presumably, the new MacBooks) USB 2.0, it's pretty clear there's essentially no noticeable difference in terms of speed.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp10.html

Real world tests transferring images from CF/SD cards on some photography sites indicate that USB 2 card readers are not as fast as Firewire ones.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."

Yogi Berra
  • Reply 63 of 121
    Quote:

Guess I need to repost these images I posted above:

(pretty performance graphs comparing speed of USB2 and FW400 removed)

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp10.html

You're missing the point. It's not about speed but the whole nature of the interface which was designed specifically to support video and audio. DV and HDV camcorders all use FireWire exclusively. For example, you can connect two cameras together with a FireWire cable and make a straight digital copy without needing a computer. It's not like hard drives which have USB and FW interfaces that you can use more or less interchangeably. For video USB simply isn't an option.

There's also the problem that the new MacBooks lose FireWire target mode. And Apple could have used the much smaller 4 pin FW connector if physical space was the issue.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abernathy View Post

My god I'm tired of people who obviously don't need FireWire making statements like this. ...

I am equally tired of people who need FireWire not realising that they are in a distinct minority.

I'm also tired of people who need FireWire going on and on about it's "removal" when in fact we are only talking about one single product in a range of products, all the rest of which have FireWire.

I'm also tired of the endless comparisons where people point out that FireWire is better than USB. Anyone who knows anything about the technologies involved can agree with that, but that still has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it should have been included on the MacBook in addition to the MacBook Pro, the iMac, the Mini, and the MacPro.

You guys are all arguing apples and oranges.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

..............They praised the viewing angle?

I don't know even know what to say. The vertical viewing angle is an atrocity. I felt like I was playing limbo with the thing in the Apple store, trying to crouch enough so that the screen looked all right.

It looked like pretty guarded praise to me. How is it compared to the previous model?
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abernathy View Post

My god I'm tired of people who obviously don't need FireWire making statements like this. [...] They have removed a port without providing a suitable replacement. Most of the better (not just "high-end") audio interfaces use FireWire - these manufacturers haven't been migrating from FW to USB, because USB can't handle the throughput.

The other day I was at lunch with 2 friends. All 3 of us had planned to buy the new MacBook. We had all changed our mind because of the lack of FireWire. None of us want a larger MacBook Pro. I don't think the 3 of us are quite as unusual as Apple thinks, and we're all sticking with our old MacBooks for the foreseeable future. I hope Apple realizes they have made a mistake.

this is exactly the same situation me and a LOT of friends are in.

we all came to that same conclusion, we are not buying now.

some of them were actually seriously saying that they would buy windows machines, and this is not so radical as it might seem to some users here, because if you are the kind of user that needs firewire, you need it to connect your hardware for software that works the same on either mac or windows, so the switch wouldn't be life-changing.

Quote:

Looking at Bare Feats' storage interface shootout, Firewire 400 compared to the new MacBook Pro's (and presumably, the new MacBooks) USB 2.0, it's pretty clear there's essentially no noticeable difference in terms of speed.

it is NOT about speed at all, just look at points 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the next post, this is exactly what you would need it for.

not all computer users are spec-whores, some of uss are actually looking for usability instead of just benchmarks..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

1. It's the equipment. If you've spend thousands on hardware you need FW on your computer in order to use it.

2. Unlike USB, it supports isochronous connections - data (like video) can be streamed in real-time. This is pretty much essential for DV/MiniDV. I don't think USB could handle DV if it tried (I could be wrong).

3. FireWire can draw enough power from the port that an external FW hard drive may need no other cables

4. You can daisy-chain devices together without a hub

5. You can network two machines together (peer-to-peer), plus Target Disk (booting off a machine's HD while it is "off")

etc etc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickertb View Post

Firewire has a dedicated controller that handles the traffic and therefor can handle data speedier and better.. USB on the other hand uses the main CPU for that..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

You're missing the point. It's not about speed but the whole nature of the interface which was designed specifically to support video and audio. DV and HDV camcorders all use FireWire exclusively. For example, you can connect two cameras together with a FireWire cable and make a straight digital copy without needing a computer. It's not like hard drives which have USB and FW interfaces that you can use more or less interchangeably. For video USB simply isn't an option.

There's also the problem that the new MacBooks lose FireWire target mode. And Apple could have used the much smaller 4 pin FW connector if physical space was the issue.

all of this is a clear explanation of what firewire means to those who really USE it.

not to transfer your illegally downloaded \\movie from one drive to another, but for real work, for things where it makes a difference in performance, not a difference in speed.

if YOU don't need firewire, please don't assume 99% of computer users don't need it, so keep your insulting suggestions to yourself. for those of us who do need it, it imposes a serious problem. most of us could maybe put off buying a new laptop now, but the more time you give us, the more we'll get used to the idea of using our software on a windows OS.

if the macBook pro is either too big or too expensive for you (or both), a switch is easier made than we'd want to.

(and yes: 2" more might make a huge difference: in the back of the tour bus/ van, the little desk in the train, the reserved place on stage, next to the soundboard/lightdesk, and many, many more places the size difference is real problem for some).
  • Reply 67 of 121
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't say a couple years, but just until writable optical drives could be added.

Looking at apple-history.com, it was about 2 1/2 years from first introduction of iMac before a writable optical drive was available for it.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i'm with Steve Jobs on this one, every time I look at the new Macbook, I poop a little. Its beautiful.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Looking at apple-history.com, it was about 2 1/2 years from first introduction of iMac before a writable optical drive was available for it.

MacTracker shows February 2001 before a CD-RW was included, and then I think it was only an option, so 2.5 years is right. That was by far a bigger PITA than the removal of FW400.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I am equally tired of people who need FireWire not realising that they are in a distinct minority.

I'm also tired of people who need FireWire going on and on about it's "removal" when in fact we are only talking about one single product in a range of products, all the rest of which have FireWire.

I'm also tired of the endless comparisons where people point out that FireWire is better than USB. Anyone who knows anything about the technologies involved can agree with that, but that still has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not it should have been included on the MacBook in addition to the MacBook Pro, the iMac, the Mini, and the MacPro.

You guys are all arguing apples and oranges.

I think most would agree that the new MB is a fine machine, but lost versatility without Firewire. Most complaints would probably disappear if they could add it on their own dime, for example via an expresscard slot.

I would also second the comment about limited viewing angles, but then I am comparing to an old Powerbook.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It looked like pretty guarded praise to me. How is it compared to the previous model?

You're right. I considered the previous Macbook's screen to be a joke. I suppose I just find this one's maddeningly crippled.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    I think the people defending the dropping of Firewire are the same people who used to say Firewire is a key advantage of owning a Mac.

I think Apple should have lowered the price of the MBP, especially if it's the only option for Firewire. There's really not much difference between it and the MB anymore and dropping FW was done to justify the higher price of the Pro.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Apple has traditionally courted a demographic that needed/used FireWire: creative content producers. Whether those be semi-pro wedding videographers, dads who like making home movies, students doing class projects, weekend bands, etc. People likely to own FireWire devices and use them, but not be able to afford/justify the cost of a Pro machine.

Now, that demographic may have been a small percentage of actual users, but it was a demo Apple liked to claim and tout. Now Apple appears to be chasing "switchers": people fed up with the pain of Windows. That is a much larger target market, but includes far fewer "creatives". It includes a lot of casual computer users who can't keep up with anti-virus software installs, DLL conflicts, driver weirdnesses, etc. i.e. novice or unsophisticated computer users. People who use the Web, do email, and not much else.

Now, from a financial point of view, I don't begrudge Apple for chasing a larger demographic and positioning themselves (rightly) as the kinder gentler alternative to Windows. But in doing so, they have turned their backs on the creatives. And from a corporate culture & image point of view, I am disappointed by the move.

FireWire is used and needed by a LOT of Apple's old core market. By removing it from their newest entry level machine they have moved on to a new core market.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

People likely to own FireWire devices and use them, but not be able to afford/justify the cost of a Pro machine.

[...]

FireWire is used and needed by a LOT of Apple's old core market. By removing it from their newest entry level machine they have moved on to a new core market.

Only the tape-based video cameras commoony have FW, and those are quickly being replaced.

As for entry level, the $999 MacBook is the entry level Mac notebook and it still has FW400. It's not the new case design, but it's great deal for a Mac notebook, especially if you have to have FW400.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

1. It's the equipment. If you've spend thousands on hardware you need FW on your computer in order to use it.

2. Unlike USB, it supports isochronous connections - data (like video) can be streamed in real-time. This is pretty much essential for DV/MiniDV. I don't think USB could handle DV if it tried (I could be wrong).

also...

3. FireWire can draw enough power from the port that an external FW hard drive may need no other cables

4. You can daisy-chain devices together without a hub

5. You can network two machines together (peer-to-peer), plus Target Disk (booting off a machine's HD while it is "off")

etc etc

2. Wrong. DV in real time has nothing to do with USB vs FW. DV was designed specifically for FW. The FW transfer rate is right for DV (which doesn't have temporal compression, so the data rate is huge). With HD, the video had temporal compression, so the data rate requirement is actually lower. You can transfer HD FASTER than real time through either USB2 or FW.

3. Both USB2 and FW can draw enough power from the port for 2.5" external notebook hard drives. (yes, I have one) USB2 doesn't have enough power to power a 3.5" external HD, but I don't know of any 3.5" FW HD which doesn't require extra power either.

4. True. However, a hub is really not that bad.

5. True on both points. However, you can do a peer-to-peer ethernet, so I don't know how much value peer-to-peer FW has. There is no replacement for Target Disk though.

So, of all the points people use to fight for FW, I see Target Disk as the only valid argument, which I haven't used for years (but I have used SCSI target disk mode ages ago, from the days of Powerbook 100).
  • Reply 76 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnqh View Post

So, of all the points people use to fight for FW, I see Target Disk as the only valid argument, which I haven't used for years (but I have used SCSI target disk mode ages ago, from the days of Powerbook 100).

That and audio devices. However, there is just more variability with USB audio interfaces than Firewire interfaces. Some USB ones are fine. The software driver just plays more of a part with USB than Firewire - so crappy drivers = crappy performance on USB hardware. Not all USB hardware has crappy drivers, though.

Also, this review misleads when insinuating that the backlight of the screen has anything to do with the viewing angle. Any perceived viewing angle improvement with the LED backlight is only due to higher lumen output. It is still a mediocre TN type LCD panel that is common on pretty much all notebooks these days.

I upgraded from a Penryn 2.4 Black Macbook to the new 2.4 aluminum, and the new Macbook is far and away a better value than the previous Macbook. In fact, the new 2.4 Macbook is such a good value that Apple had to raise the price $100, indicating that they weren't getting quite enough margin on these to make them comfortable. That right there should tell you that these are a good deal (especially when you order from the Education store).
  • Reply 77 of 121
    The screen is a deal breaker for me......I cant be bothered with such poor viewing angles and contrast / black levels. Its really a shame.

That's just totally unacceptable to me. The new MacBook Air is looking far more appealing now....lighter, thinner, better screen, blazing SSD speeds compared to the conventional HDD, no more video stuttering, no more core shutdowns and no more overheating.
  • Reply 78 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Only the tape-based video cameras commoony have FW, and those are quickly being replaced.

As for entry level, the $999 MacBook is the entry level Mac notebook and it still has FW400. It's not the new case design, but it's great deal for a Mac notebook, especially if you have to have FW400.

They are replaced but that does not mean that one may not need to access those tapes again. I have a ton of 'old' videos on such MiniDV tapes and still shoot on MiniDV. I have many that I have not had the time to capture to the computer, edit etc but they are still on tape. I will need to have firewire for a few years to come even if I buy a HDD or NAND based camcorder in the near future. For he same reason, I will need to keep my old MiniDV camcorder as well.
  • Reply 79 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoreyMac View Post

The screen is a deal breaker for me......I cant be bothered with such poor viewing angles and contrast / black levels. Its really a shame.

That's just totally unacceptable to me. The new MacBook Air is looking far more appealing now....lighter, thinner, better screen, blazing SSD speeds compared to the conventional HDD, no more video stuttering, no more core shutdowns and no more overheating.

Wow, that's quite revealing. Thanks! I think it will just be an iMac for me, or possibly wait and see if the mini gets the new nvidia graphics.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

Even though Sony has Blu ray, their display is nowhere near HD capable (Even though they say HD supported). the 13.1 inch only supports 768 no 1080. Only the huge and heavy laptops supports HD resolution. Which is not comparable with the 13.3" macbook.

UMMM HD is calssified as 720p, 1080i, 1080p

I must, because I know, disagree with you. If what your saying is true and they only have 768 line of horizontal resolution, then by all accounts they are TRUE HD 720p. Also, went to their website. Say's

* 13.1" Screen1

* 1366 x 768 or 1600 x 900 Resolution

Thats a true 1280 x 720 HD resolution. By that logic my brand new Panasonic 42" Plasma isn't an HDTV. Side note. Even at 42", at correct viewing distance you wouldn't be able to notice (with 20-20 vision) the difference between 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080.

Now of course they aren't "Full HD" 1080p, but that's beside the point. They are HD capable. Going even further, at 13.1" you wouldn't notice a single itty bitty difference (at normal viewing distance w/ 20-20 vision) between 720p and 1080p. Don't let psychosomatics play with you.

Back to the thread, FIREWIRE is a consumer interface, enough said. Not that I'd but one of these pieces of shit(ALUM macbook), they don't even come in black.

Not to take anything away from the Macbooks. They also sport a True HD 1280 x 800 resolution. Works great with my HD tuner