Apple investigating problems with MacBook Pro's glass trackpad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sightly off topic: Is anyone else with a new MB/MBP having the Safari or Mail text get considerably larger or smaller when navigating the trackpad? This is caused by the two finger zoom technique but it happens when doing tasks that were fine on the previous machines and it isn't accurate when trying to correct it, which means I have to resort to Command+minus/plus to correct it. It only takes a second to fix, but it's annoying. Anyway to turn that off?
  • Reply 22 of 82
    I was having these problems as well, as well as aluminum residue all over the system... Apple asked for the machine back for Engineering analysis... anyone else have to send there computer back for a replacement? It was sent directly to the Engineers in Cupertino...
  • Reply 23 of 82
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Viggin View Post

I am having the non-registering-clicks problem too.

The glossy screen *IS* an issue for me, and I'm not happy with it . When I have control over lighting it's not bad, but when I have eye-strain from other sources (Like strong overhead lighting in the computer labs at school) the glossy screen seems to make things worse.

I just got back from Apple store- they are way too glossy. I asked how do they look outdoors and the saleshelp could not even answer the question. They said the lighting was stonger indoors and it should not be an issue! I told the idiot to look outside - it was brighter out there.
  • Reply 24 of 82
    I picked my new MBP the first day they were released. I must be lucky because I find the hinge to be firm and it has no play in it when I change positions. Yes, the track pad take a little getting used to and the glossy is quite different to the older matte displays of the Powerbook and previous MBP. I find it rather disturbing that Apple and Steve Jobs response to the hinge, glossy only and firewire connections has been so dismissive. On the positive side, someone actually responded to the customers email but it was not very receptive to the customers issues. Hell, they've stated that they really don't look at their own forums on their website... Although, someone must because the moderators edit out undesirable posts.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

So fat thumbs laying on their side may have difficulty clicking at times because of their large surface area.

Fat thumbs on an Apple thin laptop - now that's gross.

I wonder if a type "A" will shatter the glass as well?
  • Reply 26 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The display hinge on my MacBook is fantastic. I really like the much greater angle that it can be bent back compared to the previous MacBook design.

However, I have been experiencing the trackpad issue of not registering every click. It's quite annoying and it's my only complaint of the new MacBook.

I'm with you. I LOVE the new display hinge. It's dramatically better than on my old white MacBook. It always bothered me that it didn't bend back very far.

I'm also experiencing the trackpad clicking issues that everyone is describing. Hopefully we'll see a firmware fix soon because it's very annoying.
  • Reply 27 of 82
    I think laptop lid hinges need to be relatively stiff, simply because they tend to loosen with time, and if it's just barely tight enough new, it'll be a lot sooner before it stops staying in place, even in the normal flat-on-a-table position.
  • Reply 28 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

I'm with you. I LOVE the new display hinge. It's dramatically better than on my old white MacBook. It always bothered me that it didn't bend back very far.

A great new hinge must be needed to constantly angle the over-glossy screen.
  • Reply 29 of 82
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The display hinge on my MacBook is fantastic. I really like the much greater angle that it can be bent back compared to the previous MacBook design.

However, I have been experiencing the trackpad issue of not registering every click. It's quite annoying and it's my only complaint of the new MacBook.

I have the same issue with the trackpad on my MacBook, hope they are investigating it across both models.
  • Reply 30 of 82
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree in one sense. Emailing the CEO should be a last resort.

But if it really is Jobs responding, well, that is his time to waste, there is no point in people like you telling other people not to email him if Jobs is basically encouraging those emails by responding. That said, I really don't see him doing the customer service stuff like that, it would seem that he has people managing that for him and ghost writing for him.

If it is Jobs responding, it is indeed his time to waste. I've always assumed, though (and

maybe I'm just an old cynic), that the whole "[email protected]" thing was a hip marketing

thing, like "Oh it's so cool I can email the CEO about any little thing!", while in reality a

team of customer service drones reads them. I figure once in a while he answers one

to foster the hip concept and keep it alive, but I hardly think that every email to that

address is popping up in his own personal inbox and he's clicking through them between

meetings.

I could be wrong and he could read every one of them, in which case it is stupid to

bother him with every little complaint.

I've also wondered if there's a "real" email address that he really reads, and what

would it be?

[email protected]?

[email protected]?

[email protected]?

The possibilities are endless.
  • Reply 31 of 82
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

A great new hinge must be needed to constantly angle the over-glossy screen.

YES!! This explains it all! Since users will be adjusting that glossy screen

every five freakin' minutes, it had to be easier to move and have a better

range of motion.

Missing link found. Works as designed. Move along now.
  • Reply 32 of 82
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

YES!! This explains it all! Since users will be adjusting that glossy screen

every five freakin' minutes, it had to be easier to move and have a better

range of motion.

Missing link found. Works as designed. Move along now.

Glad its solved

• Reply 33 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

I'm also experiencing the trackpad clicking issues that everyone is describing. Hopefully we'll see a firmware fix soon because it's very annoying.

The issue seems to be with the MacBook PRO, not the macbook... if you sit the two side by side, the feel of the screen hinges are SIGNIFICANTLY different. The Macbook has a nice, very snug and stiff screen. It stays where you put it, no matter what angle the computer is at. The MBP on the other hand has a comparatively loose hinge, and the screen will slam shut if the computer is jarred, or the angle is raised past 45 degrees.
  • Reply 34 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

If it is Jobs responding, it is indeed his time to waste. I've always

I've also wondered if there's a "real" email address that he really reads, and what

would it be?

[email protected]?

[email protected]?

[email protected]?

The possibilities are endless.

[email protected]?
  • Reply 35 of 82
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    There is nothing worse than a guy with a limp lid.
  • Reply 36 of 82
    intersting - my hinge is perfect. I just tested it at several angles. First, fully open and then I held the body vertical = no movement. Second, the display at a 90 degree angle with the body. I moved the body to a vertical position so that the display is parallel with the ground = no movement. Third, I reduced the angle a bit so that it is at about a 60 degree angle then held the body up again = no movement.

so- what's the deal?

Click pad problems? yep - but I use a bluetooth mouse most of the time, so not a problem for me :-)

p
  • Reply 37 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

Click pad problems? yep - but I use a bluetooth mouse most of the time, so not a problem for me :-)

p

Is it a mighty mouse?
  • Reply 38 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I just got back from Apple store- they are way too glossy. I asked how do they look outdoors and the saleshelp could not even answer the question. They said the lighting was stonger indoors and it should not be an issue! I told the idiot to look outside - it was brighter out there.

Yeah - I used to think this way. My buddy bought an HP about a year ago and I just winced when I saw the glossy screen. But now that I bought the new MacBook I've kinda grown used to it. I like it. Well - at lease I can say that I don't have a problem with it.

p
  • Reply 39 of 82
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

So the lid closes and the mouse doesn't work but he's fine as they called back quite quick! Is it me or is this guy really easily satisfied?

Well, considering that the hinge issue seems to involve somewhat of a fringe use case, and the 'mouse click' issue has a work-around (use gestural clicking while the 'track-pad click' issue is investigated and resolved, I'd say that the response is pretty good.

I've worked in support organizations for way too long, and have found a basic truth.

Users will forgive a LOT as long as they feel they're being listened to.

If you don't have a fix, at least keep the user updated as to the status.

If its a life and death situation, then yeah... prompt resolution is more important than communication.

But neither of these issues sound life-critical, and I think the person reporting it sounds like a rational person who appreciates a prompt response.

It really does make a difference.
  • Reply 40 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pachomius View Post

Yeah - I used to think this way. My buddy bought an HP about a year ago and I just winced when I saw the glossy screen. But now that I bought the new MacBook I've kinda grown used to it. I like it. Well - at lease I can say that I don't have a problem with it.

p

Why is Apple following this trend with the glossy screens? Do you think glossy is now preferred because it degrades better in the environment? I have to agree with the other post that prolonged use would be headache inducing especially for video editing