Benefits of adding Time Capsule to wireless network that already has AEBS?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but if not, a moderator can feel free to move my post. Here's is my situation.

About a year and a half ago (maybe longer) I bought an external hard drive (for backups) and an AirPort Extreme 802.11N basestation (my LinkSys died). The hard drive (an Acomdata MiniPal) has turned out to be less than desirable as it will not function as an airport disk, not will it even mount as a USB Hard Drive. I wish I had known this when I bought it. The AEBS of course is working great. It blows my old LinkSys out of the water in every way.

1. So, I am wondering, is there any advantage to adding a TimeCapsule to my AEBS setup and basically have two routers/access points in my house? Obviously it would solve my data backup issue, but I don't know if there are other benefits I am not aware of. Our house is small (about 1400 sq ft) so we always get pretty good signal with the single AEBS.

2. Would it be smarter to just sell my AEBS instead of having 2 devices to maintain? Or is there some slick configuration I can have with both in the mix? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Sell it. There is no advantage in having two. If configured incorrectly, having both can actually hinder your signal
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Sell it. There is no advantage in having two. If configured incorrectly, having both can actually hinder your signal

Really? What about people suggesting having two airports in order to extend range? Does this cause problems also?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I dunno... I've got a TC and an airport extreme running a dedicated N network in my house. I've also got an older Airport basestation and 1st gen airport express running a G network for things like my phone, appletv, home stereo, etc..

Everything works well, and the coverage between the four units, allows me to walk anywhere inside my house or throught my front and backyards (about an acre total) and no dropouts.

However, if you don't need it, sell it I guess. But it certainly won't hurt you.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Really? What about people suggesting having two airports in order to extend range? Does this cause problems also?

Extending the range does not hurt you but as you said, you're 1400 sq ft house should not have any coverage issues.

It can hurt if you have both access points on the same channel. For example, if both access points are on channel 1 your computer will have trouble discerning which access point to use. If you're going to use multiple access points only use channels 1,6, or 11. Those are the only channels that don't overlap in frequency. The switching between channels and gateways can cause network lags. Plus, you're potentially adding another hop in your network. You're also adding additional interference. Rather than receiving information (SSID, Channel, broadcasts, etc) from one wireless router you'd be receiving it from two adding chatter to your network.

Unless you really have issues with coverage, sell it
  • Reply 5 of 5
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Thanks for the good info all...I appreciate it. I didn't consider network "chatter", a very good point. I will keep it to a single wireless access point to keep it running lean and mean