New seed sees Apple near wrap-up of Mac OS X 10.5.6

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    I feel the same way about glossy screens. No way will I buy a laptop with a glossy screen. I hate those things! But, I have 4 GiB RAM in my 1st gen MacBook Pro, and a 320GB hard drive. I'm waiting for a MacBook Pro w/ 8GiB RAM. I also want a blu-ray reader or even better a blu-ray writer. If Apple won't make laptops with matte displays I will simply buy a different brand high-end model and install Ubuntu Linux on it. I'm a Unix geek/developer and apart from the great hardware it's the fact that OS X is Unix why I use it. I'm hoping for a 17" MacBook pro with a matte screen option even though I prefer the 15" models because I can still use them to watch movies on planes while it seems impossible to do that with a 17" model unless one sits in 1st class which is too expensive for me. Also 17" models are just a tad too big to lug around, in my opinion.
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I LOVE my new Macbook Pro. I find the screen thing a complete non-issue... I thought it might be a problem but find I actually never even think about it when I'm using my computer.

I thought the absence of a screen would make a huge difference, but now find I never look up from my keyboard and have not missed it at all.

Although I have to now use a regular mirror for shaving.
  • Reply 23 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdhaag View Post

I think the company that makes the matte screen protectors for iPhone should make them for the MacBook line. Then those who dislike the new screens can buy them.

Wow there is always a "solution" for the problems that Apple creates, that gets recommended by someone who has never used it.

They are always of the class of hiding under the kitchen table in case of nuclear attack.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    Glad to hear about the DVI problem. Odd thing is, I was happily having no issue with 10.5.5 until just last weekend. I thought it was my monitor and ordered a new one before checking to see if it was a software problem. Now I have to deal with an RMA, a restocking charge and shipping due to my knee jerk reaction. Can you say D'OH!
  • Reply 25 of 67
    I wonder why the new unibodies are machined rather than cast... machining is typically a fair bit more expensive, no?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The white MB was clearly released in deference to the looming recession here, the one that's already present in Europe, and coming around the rest of the world.

I don't know why they would pull it, unless they were able to quickly put something else together. Jobs has said that the aluminum cases do cost more to produce, though they would come down in time. I'm pretty sure they tried to figure out a way to make one less expensive, but I can't see a way right now.

But as Jeff says, this is off topic.

• Reply 26 of 67
    Machining is more expensive, but when you factor in all the small bits and pieces that are required with the traditional process plus the considerably more complex assembly costs, apparently in the end it all pays off.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Machining is more expensive, but when you factor in all the small bits and pieces that are required with the traditional process plus the considerably more complex assembly costs, apparently in the end it all pays off.

You have a point, but I'd say we can assume more aspects of the process potentially saving money in the long term. For example, if the structure is more sound it may require less repairs and replacements under warranty, as well as a reduction in lawsuits. Also, design changing can presumably be made faster, cheaper and with more precision than having to retrain as many people (if at all) if a slight alterations are needed.
  • Reply 28 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xdaniel View Post

I wonder why the new unibodies are machined rather than cast... machining is typically a fair bit more expensive, no?

We had a very big debate about this.

Machining gives better rigidity, as well as a process that can be modified very rapidly, which either stamping or casting can't do. It also gives higher reliability, as there are fewer parts to be made and installed.

Apple does say the price will come down over time.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The white MB was clearly released in deference to the looming recession here, the one that's already present in Europe, and coming around the rest of the world.

I don't know why they would pull it, unless they were able to quickly put something else together. Jobs has said that the aluminum cases do cost more to produce, though they would come down in time. I'm pretty sure they tried to figure out a way to make one less expensive, but I can't see a way right now.

But as Jeff says, this is off topic.

I do understand it's off-topic, but it's a little hard to keep a thread going about a x.x.1 update, even if there are some pretty intriguing features coming.

Now, getting back off-topic (), looking at numbers, the recession does not seem to be hurting Apple as badly as people predicted. Also, being a manager at a Best Buy that sells Apple computers, the number of sales of the aluminum MacBooks are typically about 2-3 times more than our white MacBook, even though it's $300 more. People see the added value of the updated computers and are willing to spend more money on a computer that isn't using technology from 2 years ago (Intel graphics, anyone?).

You're right, they may not axe the white MacBook at Macworld, but I'm guessing it will be relatively soon, and I think even raising the base price back up to $1099 would be justifiable, especially if they switch it to aluminum.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I do understand it's off-topic, but it's a little hard to keep a thread going about a x.x.1 update, even if there are some pretty intriguing features coming.

Now, getting back off-topic (), looking at numbers, the recession does not seem to be hurting Apple as badly as people predicted. Also, being a manager at a Best Buy that sells Apple computers, the number of sales of the aluminum MacBooks are typically about 2-3 times more than our white MacBook, even though it's $300 more. People see the added value of the updated computers and are willing to spend more money on a computer that isn't using technology from 2 years ago (Intel graphics, anyone?).

You're right, they may not axe the white MacBook at Macworld, but I'm guessing it will be relatively soon, and I think even raising the base price back up to $1099 would be justifiable, especially if they switch it to aluminum.

We do know that Apple's sales dropped a good bit the last three weeks of the last quarter. Reports are out that state Apple is cutting production on many of their lines. I expect that.

When Jobs was asked how they expected to get through the recession, he didn't say that they felt their sales would be at expected levels, he said that they would spend more on R&D, and so would be at a better position than their competitors when the recession was over.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Another off-topic:

When they update iWork, why would they not include Bento 2 as part of it, to more directly compete with Office?
  • Reply 32 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Bento 2 is not owned by Apple. They aren't allowed to.

Besides, Bento 2 is just another take on all the apps already on a mac. There's no point doubling up.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    kaiwaikaiwai Posts: 246member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Another off-topic:

When they update iWork, why would they not include Bento 2 as part of it, to more directly compete with Office?

*shrugs* How many end users will actually use a database? I'd say there are very few in the market whom Apple targets with their consumer iWorks line.

With that being said, I hope they really improve Pages and Numbers - I'd love to see it finally be a drop in replacement for Microsoft Office 2008 given the crap quality of the Office suite so far.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Bento 2 is not owned by Apple. They aren't allowed to.

Besides, Bento 2 is just another take on all the apps already on a mac. There's no point doubling up.

?

Please clarify.

Bento 2 is made by FileMaker, Inc. (from their site)

From same site:

Ownership: FileMaker, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL).

So I'd say that Apple owns Bento 2. This business of they aren't allowed to is news to me, I don't get why that would be.
  • Reply 35 of 67
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't suppose they finally put the Application Firewall out of it's misery?
  • Reply 36 of 67
    Taking this further off topic, Whatever happened to the Itablet? I thought there were rumors of this being due January 09 time. Am i the only one waiting for this lol?
  • Reply 37 of 67
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djyk777 View Post

Hangul = Korean script

Odd that for Chinese the author used the name of the language, and for

Korean the author used the name of the script. It's like saying "Kanji"

when you mean "Japanese" or "Cyrillic" when you mean "Russian", but

saying Korean in the same sentence.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Sorry Jeff, i didn't realise that Filemaker was owned by Apple, thats all.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    What about a fix for teh wireless connectivity problems plaguing MB and MBP owners (as well as the more recent iMacs apparently too)? Talk about something that impacts many users and is a major concern. Crazy how long they've let this slide for.
  • Reply 40 of 67
    Will this update fix the bluetooth PAN issue that has been a problem since the early 2008 Macbook Pro's? This is a critical function for people on the go and it only works on laptops older than the early 2008 versions.