Nokia N97 - AKA The iPhone Killer!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Those are some interesting facts I honestly never knew about that games part.

The games were a disaster. I delete N-Gage off my phone immediately to gain the space.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

What *is* difficult is reading anything at all on the N95. The lack of sub-pixel anti-aliasing means that effectively screen is only 1/4 the area of the iPhone.

Take the iPhone, tape over 3/4 of the screen, and remove the ability to scroll. Replace all the fonts with Uglee Sans and you get a very Nokia-like experience.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Nokia's S60 font selection, not to mention color selection, icon design, and background wallpaper selections is an affront to one's eyes. There's been no need to change since Nokia has been so successful, but with it's downward trend in smartphone marketshare, hopefully they'll give their graphics art department some more power.

Quote:

There are countless millions of S60 browsers out there. And *no one* is using the browser. Symbian phones outnumber iPhone by 10 to 1 and yet iPhone users are out-browsing Symbian by 20 to 1. How come iPhone users are browsing 200 times more often than Symbian users? Why is that?

Or look at gaming. Nokia has been chasing the mobile gaming space for nearly a decade. Starting with their abysmal N-Gage platform. They retain the name for their gaming service.

The entire number of registered N-Gage users is *less* than the number of people who bought SuperMonkeyBall. Why is that?

I will be interested to see if they have improved things for the N97, and like I say, I really like the widgets.

But so far we have only seen one video of the N97 in action, and the interface seems to be running at about 7 frames per second. Why is that?

We will see. They don't get software that well yet, but they've got targets now. Anyways, I do think it'll sell in the millions per year as they've come up with an N95 successor and that's a big audience to market the device to (and the N96 and N85 buyers too). Also, the N97 will undoubtedly have good carrier contracts with big subsidies in Europe like the N95 did. No doubt it will do well.

As far as the iPhone market sweepstakes, as soon as I saw its design, a 2009 version of HTC Kaiser, I immediately thought the N97 isn't in the iPhone market. The iPhone market is actually quite a specific market that has some overlap with the traditional smartphone market, but it quite specific to me: sort of a mass-market super phone/iPod/MID. The N97 is a mobile-geek device, just like the N95. It will do as well as the N95. So towards this end, the 5800 Tube is more the iPhone competitor than the N97 is.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nokmate View Post

To me the iPhone is an iPod trying to be a smartphone. It is great for someone who likes to play music and maybe use some smartphone features. The N97 on the otherhand is a smartphone thru and thru. To compare the two would be like comparing a stereo system to a laptop.

You've got the iPhone wrong. The iPhone is marketed as a cell phone, an iPod, and an Internet Communicator. It's trying to solve a specific set of mobile device usages (phone, portable music/video, and portable web browsing). Apple triangulated this pretty well. The smartphone, on the other hand, is sort of a feature set looking for a market to fill. And it's developed a pretty big umbrella as anything more than a basic cellphone is can considered a smartphone these days.

Awhile back, Mike Mace developed this diagram to categorize devices:

It's pretty good, and it really shows that there are a lot of markets and overlapping markets out there. This was also back when he thought it was impossible to create the one true converged device due to UI limitations (zone of death); and it still may be true. The iPhone is headed straight for it. The Storm is headed straight for it. Android wants to be there. And Nokia's N-series phones all try to be there. What he didn't understoond, and what Apple understood from the get go, is that it is going to be all about software and that necessitated a big touchscreen in a candy-bar form factor.

Deviations from that touchscreen and properly designed software will make that zone of death true. With the N97, I think Nokia is making a mistake here as a horizontal tilt-slider is a limiting factor. It's simply not that great to handle, it's kind of thick, there's a multiplicity of text input methods and most of them seem not that convenient, and we'll see how well Nokia is improving in the software department. Nokia knows it in its bones that candy bar is the optimum form factor (a vertical slider is kind of a derivative), even though they experiment quite a bit. Basically, all of it's phones are in this form factor though. Palm learned the hard way as they abandoned the original Tungsten T design. Blackberry never has had anything different.

What's interesting is the information user market where PDAs are essentially dead, and netbooks are trying to encroach upon. Apple has resisted entering this market: no copy-n-paste, no file viewer/management, no document editing, no notes syncing, no tasks/to dos, even no USB drive option. I think this is the "replace the laptop/desktop computer" market, and this is where there is the most UI difficulty. A lot of people want to have such a capability, but no one's been able to develop a device to do it: Psion is dead, Newton is dead, Palm is dead, PocketPC is dead. MIDs and Netbooks are trying to make a go at it, but we'll see. Apple can very simply enter it by adding said capabilities, but I don't think the answer to the question, "do people really want to edit and create documents on a palm device? or can they effectively do it?" will be in the affirmative, not just yet.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Sorry. I googled for a Nokia web browser image, and picked the best looking one. Nokia's website is not a great source for this stuff.

The thing is, zooming in, clicking and zooming out is so fast on the iPhone it is not a big deal.

What *is* difficult is reading anything at all on the N95. The lack of sub-pixel anti-aliasing means that effectively screen is only 1/4 the area of the iPhone.

Take the iPhone, tape over 3/4 of the screen, and remove the ability to scroll. Replace all the fonts with Uglee Sans and you get a very Nokia-like experience.

Anyhow, what I think is irrelevant.

There are countless millions of S60 browsers out there. And *no one* is using the browser. Symbian phones outnumber iPhone by 10 to 1 and yet iPhone users are out-browsing Symbian by 20 to 1. How come iPhone users are browsing 200 times more often than Symbian users? Why is that?

Or look at gaming. Nokia has been chasing the mobile gaming space for nearly a decade. Starting with their abysmal N-Gage platform. They retain the name for their gaming service.

The entire number of registered N-Gage users is *less* than the number of people who bought SuperMonkeyBall. Why is that?

I will be interested to see if they have improved things for the N97, and like I say, I really like the widgets.

But so far we have only seen one video of the N97 in action, and the interface seems to be running at about 7 frames per second. Why is that?

C.

Because the iPhone comes with a data plan whether you like it or not. Even people who aren't interested in data on their phones get a data plan, and probably use it from time to time. You cannot compare the S60 browsing numbers to the iPhone browsing numbers because they don't start on a level playing field. Make every S60 user get a data plan and the S60 browser with probably far outweigh the iPhones. Then we can talk about comparing them.

The fonts are absolutely fine on the S60 browser, perfectly readable and you can adjust their size. I'm in the business of consuming internet content, not sitting and judging how pretty it looks.

Fear not about the backgrounds and icons because you can change all of them natively, without hacking your phone, to whatever you want by installing themes, adding new wallpapers etc. That's the beauty of S60 - you can have it your way, not Apple's way.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Because the iPhone comes with a data plan whether you like it or not. Even people who aren't interested in data on their phones get a data plan, and probably use it from time to time. You cannot compare the S60 browsing numbers to the iPhone browsing numbers because they don't start on a level playing field. Make every S60 user get a data plan and the S60 browser with probably far outweigh the iPhones. Then we can talk about comparing them.

The fonts are absolutely fine on the S60 browser, perfectly readable and you can adjust their size. I'm in the business of consuming internet content, not sitting and judging how pretty it looks.

Fear not about the backgrounds and icons because you can change all of them natively, without hacking your phone, to whatever you want by installing themes, adding new wallpapers etc. That's the beauty of S60 - you can have it your way, not Apple's way.

Great post and on the mark. As an American working for our foreign office I get to travel throughout Europe often and can say for the most part that in terms of mobile telephony, the US just doesn't get it. I was wondering why Nokia does not bother to really try to sell there then it became clear. Why bother? Many Americans are simply not as sophisticated as their European or Asian or Middle Eastern counterparts. Nokia can make more money and conserve resources by simply paying token support to the US market. If there was real money to be made there, Nokia would have been there campaigning harder. The fact that they released their new phone, the N85, in India, Russia, China and a few European countries show that Nokia is willing to forgo the US and stick with more profitable markets.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    I really can't wait for the N97. It will be great to have the freedom to install whatever I want from wherever I want.

Nice as the appstore is, it's just way to restrictive for my liking.

The N97 is a proper smartphone, not a pretender tied up in restrictions and missing features.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Because the iPhone comes with a data plan whether you like it or not.

You really think that explains the high data consumption of iPhone users?

I had a Moto Razor with an unlimited data plan before the iPhone. I hardly used it. I tried it but it sucked so bad it wasn't worth the time. If browsing on the iPhone sucked, do you really think people would use it to the extent that they do just because they already had purchased a data plan?

If the s60 was a great browser wouldn't people want to buy a data plan and use it to browse the web?
  • Reply 28 of 49
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pearshaped View Post

I really can't wait for the N97. It will be great to have the freedom to install whatever I want from wherever I want.

Unfortunately Symbian developers will not be writing whatever you want. They'd prefer to earn money.

C.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    There's many many thousands of free apps out there. Unlike the iPhone apps are nothing new to symbian smartphones.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

There's many many thousands of free apps out there. Unlike the iPhone apps are nothing new to symbian smartphones.

The problem for Nokia is that developers don't like Symbian.

1) Because on iPhone they can make actual money from their endeavors. Symbian apps just don't sell as well for a ton of reasons.

2) Symbian is painful (more expensive) to develop for.

3) Nokia have made it very clear they are going to be replace Symbian with their Linux OS. So developers see this as a dying platform.

C.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

The problem for Nokia is that developers don't like Symbian.

1) Because on iPhone they can make actual money from their endeavors. Symbian apps just don't sell as well for a ton of reasons.

2) Symbian is painful (more expensive) to develop for.

3) Nokia have made it very clear they are going to be replace Symbian with their Linux OS. So developers see this as a dying platform.

C.

Wow, have you thought about getting those apple tinted glasses surgically removed?

1) Plenty of symbian apps sell for cash. Why do you think there are so many developers out there?

2) Er no, never has been. Symbian also supports python which is easy to develop for, even by hobbyists.

3) They have not said that at all, it is a false report based on a misquote. Why would nokia buy symbian outright if they planned to use linux in future? Maemo linux will be developed further for nokia's internet tablets.

Perhaps you should check your facts before posting?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

You really think that explains the high data consumption of iPhone users?

I had a Moto Razor with an unlimited data plan before the iPhone. I hardly used it. I tried it but it sucked so bad it wasn't worth the time. If browsing on the iPhone sucked, do you really think people would use it to the extent that they do just because they already had purchased a data plan?

If the s60 was a great browser wouldn't people want to buy a data plan and use it to browse the web?

Of course that explains it. In what way does it *not* explain it? Microsoft's Internet Explorer has the largest desktop browser market share. Is it any good? Not really. The only reason it is the largest is because it was bundled with Windows, so people just used it because it was there. By your logic, because Internet Explorer is used by the most number of people, it makes it the best browser. That is clearly absurd thinking. Exactly the same logic applies to the iPhone.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:

Of course that explains it. In what way does it *not* explain it? .

Because if the browsing experience sucked on the iPhone people wouldn't use it. Just because you have a data plan doesn't mean you *have* to use it.

iPhone browsing, and data consumption, use is going up not down.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Quote:

Because if the browsing experience sucked on the iPhone people wouldn't use it. Just because you have a data plan doesn't mean you *have* to use it.

iPhone browsing, and data consumption, use is going up not down.

You tend to find that when people are forced to pay for something then they tend to use it.

It eases the pain.

Is it true that apple are still forcing people to use their browser? Is the opera browser still banned from the app store?

People should be free to choice, not have their hands tied.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Wow, have you thought about getting those apple tinted glasses surgically removed?

1) Plenty of symbian apps sell for cash. Why do you think there are so many developers out there?

They charge money for the apps, but the apps are not selling. High volumes for Symbian Apps are a few thousand units. As I said, the *total* number of registered N-Gage users is less than the number of people who bought a single iPhone game.

Quote:

2) Er no, never has been. Symbian also supports python which is easy to develop for, even by hobbyists.

The problems that developers have with that platform have been widely reported. In fact they grumble openly about most aspects of the platform. C++, The GUI, The Memory management and so on.

Quote:

3) They have not said that at all, it is a false report based on a misquote. Why would nokia buy symbian outright if they planned to use linux in future? Maemo linux will be developed further for nokia's internet tablets.

From today's Engadget:

Ukko Lappalainen, vice president at Nokia's markets unit, informed Symbian Reuters that "in the longer perspective, Linux will become a serious alternative for our high-end phones."

Or how about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZVIV37YRY

Quote:

Perhaps you should check your facts before posting?

Perhaps you should talk to some developers.

C.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Figures?

"An alternative", never says replacment for symbian. There's two nokia opertings systems at the moment and series 40 can't go much further so it' logicial to assume that in future there will be more opertaing systems on nokia's. You have to remember that nokia has a wide range of models, not just one.

Now lets get this thread back on topic and have an end to this pettyness.

When it comes to specs, features and possibilites the N97 craps all over the current iPhone from a great height. FACT.

Apple need to seriously up their specs for the next iPhone instead of relying on false advertising and pushy networks.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

You tend to find that when people are forced to pay for something then they tend to use it.

It eases the pain.

Nobody was *forced* to buy an iPhone.

They did so willingly.

The fact that so many people buy symbian phones without data plans speaks volumes to how they feel about the usability of such devices for anything other than making calls.

How do you explain that?
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

When it comes to specs, features and possibilites the N97 craps all over the current iPhone from a great height. FACT.

A lot of phones 'crap' all over the iPhone spec wise.

Yet people are running from them and to the iPhone.

Why wait for the n97? Go get an n95. It 'craps' all over the iPhone spec wise and you can get it now.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Nobody was *forced* to buy an iPhone.

They did so willingly.

The fact that so many people buy symbian phones without data plans speaks volumes to how they feel about the usability of such devices for anything other than making calls.

How do you explain that?

It says nothing about the usability of the phone. It says everything about the average consumer that buys a contract phone. The average consumer tends to find the best deal that gives them the phone they want at the price they want. Data is an after thought for the masses, until it is forced on them.

If someone likes the iPhone then they are forced to buy it with a data tariff. The choice is taken away from them. Obviously more people will use it when they are forced to have it.

Therefore your argument is flawed and invalid.

Did you know the phone most used for web browsing in the US is the RAZR/RAZR2? This says nothing about usability as it's web browser is truly awful compared to that of the iphone or the nokia.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

It says nothing about the usability of the phone. .

Bullshit.

I could get a BB phone with the same data tariff.

But people are choosing the iPhone over the BB and other phones.