NPD: Apple's US Mac sales flat in Nov., iMac needs refresh

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

(...)Apple has a vastly superior consumer operating system (Mac OS X) than Windows.

'Nuff said. That's where the extra value comes from.

We know, the "never used a Mac before customer" does not.
  • Reply 62 of 97
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I've never heard of connectivity selling notebooks. But you must keep some perspective. I'm not sure what makes the MacBook anymore like a netbook than any other notebook.

This is all a matter of personal taste. Their is no hard definition of premium standards.

While I can agree with you that the iPod nano feels really small in my hands. I don't want one so I don't really care. Ultimately the tone is set by sales. Apple's miniaturization is increasing sales.

No price sells Netbooks and we know Apple doesn't want to play the pricing game.

Don't get me wrong I like the features of the new Nano ..it's just when I held one for the first time it felt almost too small and thin. It'll benefit from being put into a case which has better grip IMO.

I think in a good economy Apple's bullring approach to leading consumers upstream works. In a recession that task becomes much harder. Everyone starts watching their money. Apple is not recession proof and I think we're going to find that out though the hit won't be all that bad.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

superior what.....????!!!!????

people are looking for value, you will find none in cupertino.

If your assertion was true, then what explains Apple's record profits for several quarters now, as well as the fact that have been selling more Macs than ever before in their history? Couple that with very solid demand for iPhone in a highly competitive cell phone industry, their dominance in the market for digital music players, and very successful retail presence in brick and mortar stores and online media sales.

If not for superior products, then what?

Frankly, after reading several of your recent posts, I find no evidence that you are anything but a troll.
  • Reply 64 of 97
    Netbooks are okay, but forget trying to run Outlook and any other office program on them simultaneously. In the end, no one's going to replace their computer setup, laptop or desktop, with a netbook. Sure, disc drives will soon be dead, and we'll all be using SSDs but you still need horsepower. Even though I don't do anything terribly intensive at home, I love having a snappy computer. (I use Vista on a disposable Dell laptop at work, so trust me when I say my computer is snappy). Macs provide that, along with generally superior components. Couple that with OS X, and once you spec out a comparable Vista box or laptop, you're about the same.
  • Reply 65 of 97
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

Frankly, after reading several of your recent posts, I find no evidence that you are anything but a troll.

iBill if you read all his posts... you would come to the same conclusion.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

superior what.....????!!!!????

people are looking for value, you will find none in cupertino.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

That's what I thought!
  • Reply 67 of 97
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What a joke.

The only joke is your pathetic, mindless, and total allegiance to a computer company.
  • Reply 68 of 97
    Quote:

Apple's quality control is no worse now than its ever been. Their have always been some degree of problems with some model of Apple computer. That is nothing recent or new. Problems are apart of designing electronic devices.

From a sales and profit perspective, 2008 was Apple's best year ever. 2009 is expected to be worse as we will be deep into a recession.

I beg to differ.

My first iMac had a gradient issue on the LCD.

Second iMac had a burnt pixel out of box.

Third iMac exchanged and two burnt pixels out of box.

Fourth iMac had gradient issue + humming noises (google both issues - I am not the only person having these issues)

Fifth iMac had a defective HDD

Sixth iMac has a another humming noise but the screen is the best of the 6 I had.

So if you are saying that Apple's quality control is the same, this is SCARY! I had PCs before and never had gradient issues or burnt pixels out of the box... And if I did, I wouldn't care because I paid $800 for them vs 2300$ for the Mac. And the Mac is more outdated. I expect it to be that much better when spending big bucks. Period.
  • Reply 69 of 97
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's not only the glossy display. The thing is downright f'ugly- from its racoon face to its missmatched mouse and it's cheap plasticy back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Hold the fire cowboy(!) As a designer and a Mac user since '84... I agree with Techstud and the other guy. There was no reason whatsoever to change the "face" of the iMac... and especially not a dual-colored PC-esque f'ugly! That goes for the MacBooks und MBPs as well. All recyclable alu... maybe in shades of brushed gray or black... or even tinted alu colors..... but NOT this!

Like the guy said, "Just not Mac-like" at the moment.

The reality is everyone finds reasons to whine about it. The iMac design as wonderful a design it is (to me personally) always seemed to be a love-it-or-hate-it with people. They were either too white, had a big chin, display was too matte, or glossy, or black/aluminum is horrible... whatever.

I think the design is wonderful. Many friends (all different age groups) that have also bought one think it looks great too. Does that invalidate your claim? It certainly does not. However you do seem place a greater importance on its physical appearance than most people do. Besides, quality and durability is a big factor too and I think the iMac excels where other makers fail. Aluminum is durable and a great heat-sink. The glass display makes cleaning almost effortless and will not scratch.

Instead of criticizing the cosmetic appearance, by all means "Mr. Designer", offer some other kind of design/package/material/color-scheme that would fit your bill. There seems to be many "experts" here that spend an enormous amount of energy to derail a design but don't seem to have anything to offer to improve it.

I believe the current iMac is very "Mac-like". I don't know where you're coming from with that statement but from another post, I find it really hard to believe the current model could ever be mistaken for a Dell. Dell wishes I'm sure they could be mistaken for an Apple.

I look forward to the refresh soon. I'm waiting to see what they come up with!

</rant>
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Gee, I wonder why sales could be flat??? I mean, come on Apple WTF! You've let your desktops rot!

Mac Mini

hasn't been updated for more than a year!

Intel GMA 950 !!! The Mini has had this GPU/chipset since early 2006!!!

COMBO DRIVE IN 2008??

120 GB HDD??

Old processors

1GB RAM - 1GB standard? RAM costs nothing!

iMac

ATI Radeon 2400 XT / Radeon 2600 Pro standard? These GPUs had their retail launch in June 2007! ATI already launched 4xxx series!

1GB or 2GB RAM - in a $1600-2500 desktop??

Mac Pro

2GB RAM - 2GB standard in a DP workstation??

ATI Radeon 2600 XT standard - !! Ancient GPU

320GB HDD standard - in a DP workstation?
  • Reply 71 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

It's interesting how many trolls have decided to log into AppleInsider to tout the oft-repeated myth that Macs are directly comparable to PCs and are more expensive, thus, they're automatically overpriced and that Apple only survives through superior marketing that borders on brainwashing.

Nonesense!

That simplistic logic fails after one considers only a single truth:

Apple has a vastly superior consumer operating system (Mac OS X) than Windows.

'Nuff said. That's where the extra value comes from.

not true... OSX is superior.

However it is superior on hardware that costs a helluva lot more.

95% of Windows problems come from cheap hardware.

People compare a $500 Dell to $1300 Mac.....its not fair.

Apple have carefully constructed and marketed an image which is patently untrue.

If Mr Joe Public was to spend 'mac type' money on a Vista PC he would have arguably less problems. A more powerful computer with greater compatibility and a happy life.!
  • Reply 72 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

If your assertion was true, then what explains Apple's record profits for several quarters now, as well as the fact that have been selling more Macs than ever before in their history? Couple that with very solid demand for iPhone in a highly competitive cell phone industry, their dominance in the market for digital music players, and very successful retail presence in brick and mortar stores and online media sales.

If not for superior products, then what?

good I'm pleased we disagree... I take your comments as a compliment.

Selling more Macs is down to good marketing, good looking products and the tidal wave of bad press (mostly unjustified) against Vista.

Demand for iPhone outside the US (I am) is weak...apart from 3g launch it always has been, and they are in a niche market.

Music players is the tie to iTunes..the hardware is average, any review will tell you that. Creative and iRiver make much better products. Software sells the hardware, well done to them. Having said that videos don't do too well.

Apple is in this to make as much money as possible and to hell with the user. In this respect they are much worse than MS, as long as you remember it you'll do fine!
  • Reply 73 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cuppingmaster View Post

Netbooks are okay, but forget trying to run Outlook and any other office program on them simultaneously. In the end, no one's going to replace their computer setup, laptop or desktop, with a netbook. Sure, disc drives will soon be dead, and we'll all be using SSDs but you still need horsepower. Even though I don't do anything terribly intensive at home, I love having a snappy computer. (I use Vista on a disposable Dell laptop at work, so trust me when I say my computer is snappy). Macs provide that, along with generally superior components. Couple that with OS X, and once you spec out a comparable Vista box or laptop, you're about the same.

Value PC, no OS.

Athlon 5000x2, 2gb Ram, 250gb harddrive. Basic ATI graphics card. DVD burner. LAN port. 6 USB.

fully upgradeable.

Vista home premium OEM. (runs at 4.0 score)

Run sweet as a nut for over a year.

$375

unless anyone is App specific to OSX then there is no reason to waste the money on a Mac.
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Quote:

thank you, to be at the opposite end of this argument to you is most satisfying. You re-affirm my values with every word you type.
  • Reply 75 of 97
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

You re-affirm my values with every word you type.

If you value joining an Apple forum with the sole intention of badmouthing the products, services, and business model of a single company then I find that really sad.

To do the same on yet another one (macrumors.com) is just pathetic.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What I am saying is that at no time has Apple ever produced a line of computers, were every computer has worked 100% perfectly 100% of the time. No electronics company holds that record. Their have always been some issue with some line of computer at one point or another.

For the past few years Apple has ranked high in consumer satisfaction with respect to the use of their products.

I find it difficult to believe that Apple gave you 6 replacements. Especially when most of the issues you list are very simple to repair. I've never heard of Apple replacing a whole machine because of a couple of burned out pixels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I beg to differ.

My first iMac had a gradient issue on the LCD.

Second iMac had a burnt pixel out of box.

Third iMac exchanged and two burnt pixels out of box.

Fourth iMac had gradient issue + humming noises (google both issues - I am not the only person having these issues)

Fifth iMac had a defective HDD

Sixth iMac has a another humming noise but the screen is the best of the 6 I had.

So if you are saying that Apple's quality control is the same, this is SCARY! I had PCs before and never had gradient issues or burnt pixels out of the box... And if I did, I wouldn't care because I paid $800 for them vs 2300$ for the Mac. And the Mac is more outdated. I expect it to be that much better when spending big bucks. Period.

• Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:

Selling more Macs is down to good marketing, good looking products and the tidal wave of bad press (mostly unjustified) against Vista.

You really think marketing and press are the difference between OS X and Vista. As if people have not actually used both and come to an informed decision. Is that the same reason so many still prefer XP over Vista?

Quote:

Apple is in this to make as much money as possible and to hell with the user. In this respect they are much worse than MS, as long as you remember it you'll do fine!

Every company is in this to make as much money as possible.
  • Reply 78 of 97
    Quote:

If you value joining an Apple forum with the sole intention of badmouthing the products, services, and business model of a single company then I find that really sad.

To do the same on yet another one (macrumors.com) is just pathetic.

Its called 'free will' and expressing an opinion.

You used to be able to do it in the States..but maybe no more.

..hold on so you went searching for my posts...on other sites.....and I'm sad??

yeah..ok.
  • Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:

You really think marketing and press are the difference between OS X and Vista. As if people have not actually used both and come to an informed decision. Is that the same reason so many still prefer XP over Vista?

Every company is in this to make as much money as possible.

No not the only difference.

OSX is better but the margin is small.

The press have beaten down on Vista and inflated Leopard, as always the truth lies some where between.

yes money is there to be made but some companies don't gouge their own loyal fanbase, of which you are a fine example.,
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:

The press have beaten down on Vista and inflated Leopard, as always the truth lies some where between.

Press weren't the only ones. Business who depend on Windows had little faith in Vista. I'm sure MS has made moves to improve Vista, but that has not seemed to instill much confidence.

Quote:

yes money is there to be made but some companies don't gouge their own loyal fanbase, of which you are a fine example.,

No one is forced to buy a Mac. Apple has to compete in an open market with everyone else. If the loyal fan base felt gouged they are free to go elsewhere.