Google releases Picasa for Mac

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Picasa is good news, to have some competition against iPhoto. The UI is ugly though

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

There are a few features shown in that video that I don't think are offered in Apple's photo management products.

It's a nice option to have. I have Aperture and aspire to jump to Lightroom if Aperture doesn't get some of Lightroom's better features on the next update, so I really won't benefit so much from Picasa.

On Aperture, they've got darn lazy, it's has some annoying bugs - like the shortcuts stop working or you can't change photos or project until you relaunch the app completely. Lightroom has taken the lead for sometime now in terms of updates and camera RAW support. Don't mention support for Sigma cameras to Apple, they don't care.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    zaunerzauner Posts: 48member
    1. Before judging an application: USE IT for days and weeks, not for 5 minutes or even not at all.

2. When doing so you'll find out some KILLER FEATURES missing from other current photo tools.

3. Try to use the GUI as a work environment and not as room decoration.

4. Draw your conclusion, be happy to have an additional new tool with useful features or delete it.

I wonder why "the looks" seem to be more important than usefulness in daily work life. Do you only look at, and never talk to your girl-friend because she's brainless and can't talk? Ah, that's enough to be satisfied...

Do you only buy a Ford car if it looks similar to a GM?

Just kidding - try out the app and love it. It's lightning fast, plug in any storage - Picasa auto-searches the volume and shows ANY pic file (which can be embarassing if you run it on your boss' computer ). It's still a beta - so it's on us to try it out and give useful feedback to make the app what we want it to be: A fast photo organizer with low system requirements. Works perfect even on my old Mac Mini.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    Does the face tagging feature work with the Mac version?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

but worthy of a tryout perhaps.

Don't do anything hasty! Steve might find out you're trying out some software that wasn't made by Apple, and revoke your "worship me from afar" privileges.

Why don't you save your opinion until you've tried it, [ed: snipped, personal attacks aren't necessary here]

• Reply 45 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,766member
    Drat! The import from iPhoto seems unable to deal with a set up where the iPhoto library is on an alternative drive as I do.

I worked around this.

Holy Moly Pica is awesome!!!! The speed is amazing and the web based features are also lightening fast. It also outputs high def slide shows and as I work exclusively in HD in FCPro Stdio this is a fabulous new tool for me.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Wow, the people who think this UI is too ugly really need to get out more... you obviously have never suffered through the PoS Sony Clip Browser produced to move files from HDCAM EX-series data cards to your Mac.

And it looks way more logical than anything "the worlds largest Mac application development team" at Microsoft has ever produced. From early reports, it works way better as well... no one ever described an Office for Mac application as "fast" (except maybe in a statement like: "It frustrated me so fast..." or infuriated me faster than their last offering...")
  • Reply 47 of 54
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

Wow, the people who think this UI is too ugly really need to get out more... you obviously have never suffered through the PoS Sony Clip Browser produced to move files from HDCAM EX-series data cards to your Mac.

No! I think *you* should go back to Windows. If a developer is too lazy to make their ported application more Mac-like in terms of look-and-feel and experience, and if people like you and others in this thread actually *accept* this piece of shit of a port, then the Mac community will be flooded by direct UI ports and we'd all just be running a more expensive Windows PC...because ya know, that's all Picassa is, a PC app all the way down to the experience and look-and-feel.

People accepting this app from such a large company with tons of cash and developers up the yin yang should be ashamed. I feel like the Mac community is going to hell in hand basket because of new Windows convert accepting PC apps on the Mac as if it were a genuine Mac experience.

Anyway, people here that love Picassa, have fun with your non-integrated photo browser with lacking photo album creation features. I guess you truly get what you pay for...free feces.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

because ya know, that's all Picassa is, a PC app all the way down to the experience and look-and-feel.

Since you can't be bothered to try it, you have nothing credible to say about the actual experience. But then, you're already biased anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

No! I think *you* should go back to Windows.

Blah blah blah...

Anyway, people here that love Picassa, have fun with your non-integrated photo browser with lacking photo album creation features. I guess you truly get what you pay for...free feces.

Never used Picasa, huh?

Never noticed the ability to create albums?

Duh

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=19543
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Never used Picasa, huh?

Never noticed the ability to create albums?

Duh

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=19543

PHYSICAL ALBUMS, [snipped for personal attack & profanity].
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Since you can't be bothered to try it, you have nothing credible to say about the actual experience. But then, you're already biased anyway.

I have tried it. Calm down, JeffDM.

The stupidity at AI is staggering.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

PHYSICAL ALBUMS, [snipped for personal attack & profanity].

Physical albums? Like printing them out onto paper?

I mean, Picasa has tools for printing, but really how often do you print a physical album? You realize how much that costs, right?

I'm impressed with your self control....
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Not sure why some people are so negative, but I love Picasa! It was the last program that I couldn't get an equivalent for Mac, everything I had on the PC is now on the Mac.

I can finally move all my data to Mac and ... hmm sell PC?

THANK YOU GOOGLE.

Cheers.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    I just played with Picasa a bit and it'd be PERFECT if it wasn't for ...

1. Intel Only (where I really need a speed increase is on the PPC platform)

2. No option to organize files automatically (for "Mom & Dad" users this is a must)

I *love* the rest of it, though. Yes the interface is a bit clunky, but it's not bad. I love the video editing / slideshow / upload to YT / etc.