FileMaker 10 Pro arrives with interface overhaul

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

All I can think to add to your statement is, ``How can one actually think to reason that a mail client is a server?''

This tells me the person knows very little about mail systems.

I think it is a matter of semantics. Client/server who cares if it is even a virus, it is just another way to send spam. And you would be incorrect in your assumption that I know very little about mail systems. You may be quick to judge. Let me know when you've successfully locked down a Unix box with spam detection, blacklists and certificates, web mail for multiple domains . That is something I am sort of an expert in. I admitted in an earlier post that it turns out I used the term SMPT client/server incorrectly.

To be honest I've hated all previous versions of FileMaker and I'd be pretty surprised if this release changed my mind. I have battled spam and hackers for many years and my comments were only intended to express my concerns about opening up another method of attack.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Somewhat off-topic post:

Does anyone know if Bento allows you to create a SQLite database file?

I'm not talking about tapping into an SQL server to run queries on, I just want to create a blank database in Bento that I can then use in XCode (specifically the iPhone SDK).

And, yes, I have tried to create one using the SQL CLI in Terminal but it just doesn't seem to work.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I still haven't received the download link for trial. I submitted the request this morning. Anyone having this trouble?

I'm in the same boat. Seems it's broken or they can't get their act together.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longterm View Post

If security is a concern for a database user, FileMaker has a wealth of options for protecting one's mail account information. For example, a user account can be set so that the user can trigger a script (send mail) but not see its programming; this keeps the end-user from being able to see any of the SMTP authentication information. If, on the other hand, a user has high-enough access privileges to see scripting, he would also be able to do lots of other damage, including deleting data, editing/deleting scripts, layouts, and fields, and so on.

Databases can be locked down in many different ways, and usernames and passwords are encrypted in the database itself. In almost 15 years dealing with FileMaker databases, I've never had a problem with security--and with each new version, security has gotten better.

Security with a FileMaker database is only as good as the person designing the solution.

FileMaker security is lousy. You can buy a program for $40 or $50 that will crack the password on any FileMaker database.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

FileMaker security is lousy. You can buy a program for $40 or $50 that will crack the password on any FileMaker database.

I guess that only applies if the person is in possession of the actual file?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Generally speaking, I find FileMaker upgrades to be a total rip-off, save the jump to version 7. They introduce a few nice new features, then charge more than 50% to upgrade. Improvements are modest at best, yet users pay again and again and again.

This time around, however, I think FileMaker has delivered a very worthwhile upgrade. Script Triggers are almost worth buying the program again at full price. I've spent so much time writing scripted data entry solutions because users can't or won't enter all of the relevant information correctly. While FileMaker includes some validation capability, the validation UI is lousy from an end-user perspective. Being able to trigger a custom validation script whenever a user commits a record, for example, will save hours of coding work and make FileMaker databases far more user-friendly. And that's just the beginning.

Script Triggers are huge. Way to go FileMaker! Finally!!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robbyx View Post

Generally speaking, I find FileMaker upgrades to be a total rip-off, save the jump to version 7. They introduce a few nice new features, then charge more than 50% to upgrade. Improvements are modest at best, yet users pay again and again and again.

This time around, however, I think FileMaker has delivered a very worthwhile upgrade. Script Triggers are almost worth buying the program again at full price. I've spent so much time writing scripted data entry solutions because users can't or won't enter all of the relevant information correctly. While FileMaker includes some validation capability, the validation UI is lousy from an end-user perspective. Being able to trigger a custom validation script whenever a user commits a record, for example, will save hours of coding work and make FileMaker databases far more user-friendly. And that's just the beginning.

Script Triggers are huge. Way to go FileMaker! Finally!!!!!

Yeah it's definitely a very good feature. I was asked to provide a functionality that checked whether a certain value entered into a certain field was a duplicate value already present in the database and script triggers were just the thing that was missing in 9.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    devandevan Posts: 10member
    ill buy it when they decided to add a feature that lets you export it to a stand alone desktop application
  • Reply 30 of 31
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    You think Filemaker Inc. is going to give people a reason not to buy copies of Filemaker?

This isn't Keynote or PowerPoint. Very few people get a copy of a Filemaker database strictly for viewing.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's been a few days. Does anybody have any thoughts on the trial version?

Even though FMP10 still lacks the ability to link to AddressBook and iCal, how hard will it be to build an ACT clone? Sales Management is one field where the Mac lacks a really powerful solution.