iTunes DRM-free, but upgrading comes with strings attached

Comments

• Reply 41 of 126
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YodaMac View Post

Not sure what all the fuss is about.

The only reason to upgrade is if you plan on illegally sharing your music with other people, right?

If your music has played fine on your iPod and Mac all this time - it still will.

If you're a true audiophile (nut), then you'd be buying physical media and ripping your own. Those few bits improvement aren't going to make your iPod sound any better in the car or jogging through noisy streets anyways, right?

I have NEVER had an issue with DRM in all the years I've been using iTunes. So what's the fuss all about?

You must be one of those dumb Star Wars nerds.
  • Reply 42 of 126
    Quote:

The only reason to upgrade is if you plan on illegally sharing your music with other people, right?

If your music has played fine on your iPod and Mac all this time - it still will.

If you're a true audiophile (nut), then you'd be buying physical media and ripping your own. Those few bits improvement aren't going to make your iPod sound any better in the car or jogging through noisy streets anyways, right?

I have NEVER had an issue with DRM in all the years I've been using iTunes. So what's the fuss all about?

I want to do it to more easily burn MP3 disks for my car stereo.
  • Reply 43 of 126
    I have mixed feelings. On one side, I'm celebrating recovering some music - as I unfortunately erased my first few purchases long ago.

On the other, I'm paying to upgrade every "free single of the week" I downloaded for the past several years, half of which were crap?

Hmm...

Of course it really isn't all that much for me yet: $29.25 currently for 93 songs (71 songs, 4 albums, 6 music videos).

I'm sort of curious how high that'll go. Thus why I haven't upgraded yet.
  • Reply 44 of 126
    Quote:

Well, I haven't had any "problems" but:

1. No, if illegally sharing were my intent, why would I bother with iTunes?

2. Your name is still embedded into the DRM-free purchased files.

3. I don't consider myself an audiophile, but while not for all, for a good many songs the difference between 128 and 256 is not only there, it is extraordinary. A lot of music that sounded so "meh" before again becomes new and sounds so clear.

4. While I have been since '93 an Apple nut, I don't like being tied to anyone. I like just knowing I could go elsewhere. DRM in place doesn't afford me that much.
  • Reply 45 of 126
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I expect we'll get an album by album, song by song rate soon. Before this recent change this was how it was offered. I'm not inclined to click the Buy button when it's $104.99 and counting.

Frankly though I don't think I can hear the difference between AAC 256 and DRMed tracked burned to CD and reripped.
  • Reply 46 of 126
    Quote:

DRM free is good. Period. What happens to your collection when the iTunes DRM Authentication servers go offline (like Walmart's did)? I said when because it will happen. Maybe not anytime soon, but it WILL happen.

DRM is also what (until now) prevented you from streaming your DRM'd content over the internet (not your LAN), or playing it on a non-Apple device (like a Squeezebox).

FYI - I can tell the difference between 128 and 256 kbps with a decent pair of headphones in a relatively quiet environment. it's not a "few bits" it's double.

My only gripe is that I want the updates to be based on my local library, not what Apple knows I bought.
  • Reply 47 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by finnwhite View Post

Something I noticed (and I suppose it makes sense)...

I'm an American but I was living in Australia when iTMS came out. Actually it was out for quite a while in the US before it came to AUS, and I used my US credit to purchase from the US store (not having really read that part in the T&C that says you can't do this), and after a few purchases I bought a new Mac in AUS, and as part of the initial setup associated my Apple ID with my Aussie computer somehow from there Apple worked out I was in breach and shut down my access to those songs! I was frustrated, but as it was only a couple songs I lived through it.

Eventually iTMS came to Australia, though I think even to this day not all the major labels participate, meaning the catalog is more limited. And I purchased a good number of tracks from the AUS store. I recently moved back to the US, and switched stores. I notice that none of the songs I purchased from the AUS store appear on my upgrade list, even though many of those albums are also available in the US store. AND, those long lost songs ARE there.

So that tells me a few things, which may be well known to others and quite logical. iTunes Plus is country specific. iTMS in general might be always country specific, even if a given album is available in multiple countries, buying it in one does not grant rights to it in another (and maybe this is due to different labels or subsidiaries of labels controlling rights in different countries).

I am certain I am not the only totally legit multi-country person around (dual citizen), and it will only become more common. I wonder when the infrastructure of iTMS or indeed all digital media will accommodate this scenario....

for anyone who's asking about IT+ in other countries.. it's supposed to be available in all stores

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

"In what countries is iTunes Plus available?

iTunes Plus is available in all countries that have an iTunes Store."
  • Reply 48 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

FYI - I can tell the difference between 128 and 256 kbps with a decent pair of headphones in a relatively quiet environment. it's not a "few bits" it's double.

My only gripe is that I want the updates to be based on my local library, not what Apple knows I bought.

I can tell the difference between 128 and 256 on a $15 pair of headphones. I agree, it's there. People seem to forget we're all different; our choice of music and our hearing.

Of course your gripe is actually my greatest upside. Although few, I had lost some music early on and this is allowing me to recover it.
  • Reply 49 of 126
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    While I enjoy Bob Newhart's comedy a lot, I don't see why I need to upgrade it. Yet I have no choice if I want to upgrade my music.

His isn't the only thing I don't want to upgrade. It's just the most obvious on the screen as I'm looking at it now.
  • Reply 50 of 126
    What about if I don't want to upgrade all my songs but only certain ones. So I buy just one song in iTunes plus that I've already bought. Like "Smoke on the Water". Will it recognize that I have both the DRM 128 bit version and the non-DRM 256 bit version?

Let's say I decide later to upgrade and you still only have a choice between all or none. I theoretically have both the with and without DRM. Am I going to be charged to upgrade my one with DRM so that I end up with two copies of the song with "iTunes Plus"?
  • Reply 51 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I expect we'll get an album by album, song by song rate soon. Before this recent change this was how it was offered. I'm not inclined to click the Buy button when it's $104.99 and counting.

Frankly though I don't think I can hear the difference between AAC 256 and DRMed tracked burned to CD and reripped.

1. I don't blame you for not rushing to hit the big buy button when over $100. I'd wait too.

2. Album by Album, song by song, is how the store has always worked and with content that was plus at the time of purchase, but is never how the Plus upgrades have worked. I've done a fair number. While it'd be neat for Apple to do it that way, I don't see them changing anytime soon. I'm with you on hoping I'm wrong though.

3. I respect that you can't hear the difference. I would point to the other benefits of being DRM-free, but it's your choice not mine whether you go DRM free with your current library. If it doesn't make a difference, well, that's money saved. I hear it, and want to upgrade all eventually, and others hear it too, please don't be among those attacking us for celebrating that.
  • Reply 52 of 126
    What if Apple later comes out with super iTunes plus with 512 bit or higher, like 940 or 1411 bit rate which is what some of my music is when imported as AIFF files. I even have one AIFF file that imported at 2116 kbps. I don't know what was up with that album. I don't think it was off a DVD as don't think iTunes imports music off those.

Anyway, what do we pay then? It could happen. Nobody ever expected Apple to go higher than 128.
  • Reply 53 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

What if Apple later comes out with super iTunes plus with 512 bit or higher, like 940 or 1411 bit rate which is what some of my music is when imported as AIFF files. I even have one AIFF file that imported at 2116 kbps. I don't know what was up with that album. I don't think it was off a DVD as don't think iTunes imports music off those.

Anyway, what do we pay then? It could happen. Nobody ever expected Apple to go higher than 128.

While I'll argue to my grave I hear a significant difference with 256 over 128. Anything above I probably wouldn't hear.
  • Reply 54 of 126
    I agree with this, last night I upgraded my purchased music and had to pay for a small batch of songs I purchased several years ago for my ex-girlfriend. Seeing that I don't like those songs I did not want to pay anything to d/l songs I was going to delete anyway. Yet, I did pay cuz I just wanted to get the upgrading over with. Maybe I should have waited, but oh well - too late now. I like Apple, but this is bad planning on their part to not allow people to cherry pick what songs and CD's they want to upgrade.

Can someone explain to me why they say upgrading music videos is $0.60 cents, but the music videos according to their own Plus wording is at the same quality as previous?? Why tell/ask me to upgrade videos for the same quality, at least make them 16:9or something.
  • Reply 55 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Can someone explain to me why they say upgrading music videos is $0.60 cents, but the music videos according to their own Plus wording is at the same quality as previous?? Why tell/ask me to upgrade videos for the same quality, at least make them 16:9or something.

An upgraded music video has the same video quality, yes. But it uses a 256 audio track instead of a 128 and is DRM-free.
  • Reply 56 of 126
    Well this is all very silly and entirely too complicated considering the situation.

Which is why, even though I buy my share of iPhone apps & Apple products (mac pro, macbook, etc), I will never be even slightly tempted to purchase songs or albums from iTunes. You can't even pull up a list of what you bought or automatically redownload it by just logging into your account. All of which are gripes too major for me to ignore or set aside.

Apple TV is also impractical. I'm streaming Netflix and Hulu through my PS3 for free using PlayOn and I didn't have to buy any extra boxes or purchase individual content. It was all freeeeeeeeeeeeeee (with the exception of a one time fee of $30 to the developers of PlayOn).

I just don't understand how anyone can afford to support a music collection, rent flicks, and watch TV shows using the media options Apple has made available without having some serious coin.
  • Reply 57 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Has anyone actually seen a track go from DRM'ed to DRM free and does it then acquire the "iTunes Plus" label? It's been like ... two days!

Yes, I have.
  • Reply 58 of 126
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

You can't even pull up a list of what you bought or automatically redownload it by just logging into your account. All of which are gripes too major for me to ignore or set aside.

You can get a list of your downloaded songs. Just log into your account when in the iTunes store.

I do agree with you that we should be able to re-download our purchases at any time. Not everyone backs up their files, and the files ARE there on the iTunes server, so why not let the authorized computer that downloaded the songs be able to download them again?
  • Reply 59 of 126
    doc362doc362 Posts: 43member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

You can get a list of your downloaded songs. Just log into your account when in the iTunes store.

I do agree with you that we should be able to re-download our purchases at any time. Not everyone backs up their files, and the files ARE there on the iTunes server, so why not let the authorized computer that downloaded the songs be able to download them again?

Regarding purchase history, I did not know that. I still cannot fathom shelling out hard earned cash when I have something extremely light weight & free at my disposal. In terms of music, I would rather just purchase the physical disc.

iTunes might top Wal-Mart in sales, but it still has a loooooong way to go before it wins the hearts and minds of everyone. I've been using computers for ages and I'm still barely sold on the exchange of cold hard cash for electronic iPhone apps. They, however, actually serve an ongoing purpose and are highly reusable. I listen to a lot of music, but I'm not sure any one song is worth a buck especially when its DRM'd (not that I expect iTunes to drop the price because of the agreements with labels etc I know they don't make much but that's a whole other discussion I suppose).
  • Reply 60 of 126
    ejieji Posts: 39member
    I just got an e-mail from iTunes support telling me to get an "album only" track by upgrading the whole album to iTunes Plus and sending them the order number, at which point I'll be refunded my money for the rest of the album.

I can't guarantee the same outcome for everyone, but that to me is a shining example of customer service.