Why no SMB/CIFS browser in OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know about everyone else but I think it's strange there is no SMB/CIFS browser built into OS X. I know you can connect to SMB shares through the finder but that's hardly efficient for the faint of heart. Apple should include a "Network Neighborhood" type utility in OS X to make integration with Windoze networks easier. After all, it's all about getting people to use the platform. I recently purchased a Ti Powerbook and love OS X but I find there are some seemingly gaping holes if you aren't on a pure Mac network. No one needs to flame me about saying there are holes, it's just my opinion. I think the inclusion of a network browser utility would help Apple in their struggle to get more Mac's into the Enterprise. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Look no further than the coming Mac OS X Jaguar.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    There's always DAVE.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I would dig bringing my laptop to work and just hoook into the network with everyone here being able to browse my shared files and vis-a-versa.

While were at it how about buying a new Mac graphics computer to replace this Dell piece of smell.

Seemless and easy networking is key for adoption to increase.

I hope Jaguar is all that.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    It's coming in Jaguar, as JLL said. Until then, you have a <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13795&db=mac"; target="_blank">freeware utility</a>.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for the shareware utility information but I've already tried that and it doesn't see any of my Wondoze or Linux boxes or shares (Linux is running Samba). I guess I'll just have to wait for Jaguar.