Mac Box Set

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What a great move by Apple! I have to wonder if they will expand this idea beyond just iLife and iWork. I would guess that they used all their latest advances (Obj-C 2.0, Core Data, Quick Look, Quicktime, etc). It's a great move because now they aren't stuck programming to the lowest common denominator of past versions of the OS, aren't stuck with feature disparity when running on different OS versions, and don't have to support the product on multiple versions of the OS. Essentially giving away the OS that enables the developers to use more advanced tools is brilliant!

I would think this would help Apple advance Cocoa at a faster rate as there are more internal developers using the new additions to the frameworks. Apple seems to explore new software ideas in its apps before migrating them into public frameworks. Having more apps using the state of the art should be helpful.

I think it's also a great ploy to get people upgrading their OS and will help eliminate problems such as what Microsoft has where people don't want to upgrade from earlier versions. Could you imagine the Vista adoption rate if Vista was bundled with Office for a negligible price?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yes

"Leopard Only" are my favorite words to grace an apps description. Frankly

I got sick and tired of people calling Leopard a "Service Pack" . It there's no

real changes why are apps shedding Tiger support and beyond?

Because Leopard "is" good and some people just wanted to keep a few more shekels

in their pocket (which is fair..I do too)

Now is the time to move to Leopard for a lot of people. I wish Apple would just

go ahead and tell us what the upgrade to SL is going to cost. I'm tempted to buy the Mac Box because it gives me what I want (iLife and iWork) and hell another Leopard license is $10 more.

If Amazon carries it it'll be a wash and Leopard will effectively be free.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes

"Leopard Only" are my favorite words to grace an apps description. Frankly

I got sick and tired of people calling Leopard a "Service Pack".

You haven't learned to ignore them yet?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I can understand businesses not updating to Leopard, especially those doing prepress work, but I think a lot of home users should have updated by now. Time Machine, improved Spotlight, and other great features make Leopard useful. -- Granted Leopard kind of sucked until 10.5.2 allowed you to turn off Stacks.

Now if you have PowerPC Macs, I can understand staying with Tiger. Leopard runs slower on PPC hardware than Tiger. (Confirmed that with both my PMG5 and my PBG4.) But with iLife apps like iMovie being G5 & Intel only and some editing features being Intel-only, its clear PPC people probably won't get as much from iLife '09 anyway... at least they got Safari 3.2 on Tiger now.

The Mac Box set is priced in an interesting range. I'm really only interested in iLife '09 though. Alas, I own a family pack license for Leopard and I still rock MS Office 2004, so the value isn't there for me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I have Leopard on my mini but i'm intrigued by this deal.

It would seem that it makes sense for me to upgrade my iWork '08 and iLife '06 to

the current versions via this Mac Box set and reap the rewards of another license of

Leopard for the paltry sum of $10 more. Plus is sends a message to Apple that we

like bundle deals when it favors our needs.

I'm wondering what the upgrade policy is going to be for Snow Leopard. If I knew that they'd offer a low cost upgrade to SL or even planned to include SL in a future Mac Box Set i'd wait but I doubt a SL+iWork+iLife bundle will happen.

The more people on Leopard the better.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I can understand businesses not updating to Leopard, especially those doing prepress work, but I think a lot of home users should have updated by now. Time Machine, improved Spotlight, and other great features make Leopard useful. -- Granted Leopard kind of sucked until 10.5.2 allowed you to turn off Stacks.

Now if you have PowerPC Macs, I can understand staying with Tiger. Leopard runs slower on PPC hardware than Tiger. (Confirmed that with both my PMG5 and my PBG4.) But with iLife apps like iMovie being G5 & Intel only and some editing features being Intel-only, its clear PPC people probably won't get as much from iLife '09 anyway... at least they got Safari 3.2 on Tiger now.

The Mac Box set is priced in an interesting range. I'm really only interested in iLife '09 though. Alas, I own a family pack license for Leopard and I still rock MS Office 2004, so the value isn't there for me.

I don't see this as much a ploy to get people updated to Leopard, as it is a way of allowing their app developers use the latest and greatest Leopard toys. The new versions of these app packages require Leopard, but if anyone complains about that fact they can just get the box set and no more reason to complain.

I'd love to see Apple offer new versions of Final Cut and Logic Studio written solely for 10.6 taking full advantage of 64 bit, OpenCL, and Grand Central with Snow Leopard thrown in for a small amount.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I ordered a copy of Mac Box Set, it's a good move from Apple. The $49 iWork '09 bundle with new Mac is also a good start.