Apple updates white 13-inch MacBook to NVIDIA architecture

Comments

• Reply 41 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I the "stupid conclusion" that was meant, was that this configuration was intentionally crippled by Apple.

Why do people always have to immediately assume Apple is "up to no good" when they have never shown any such indications throughout the entire life of the company? As far as corporations go, Apple is one of the most responsible and the most customer focussed, they have ridiculously high levels of customer service, excellent reviews by those same customers and are pretty good to their employees overall. I just don't understand why so many people's first reactions to something Apple has done is to assume some nefarious plot is in the works.

Thank you.
  • Reply 42 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Dammit, where is my updated mini? If they can update the whitebook they can update the mini...

Only one updated product a week.
  • Reply 43 of 118
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Only one updated product a week.

If any.
  • Reply 44 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hledgard View Post

I find this as good news. The plastic MacBook was a great design. I have the new aluminum MacBook, and my daughter has the white. The white appears much more durable. And the 999 is important.

The aluminum still wins on the trackpad and lower weight.

I have the white MacBook and I don't have a lot of experience with the Aluminum, so I'll take your word on that. But I can tell you, after about a year, my MacBook's plastic parts started chipping off. The infamous "splinters" coming off of the palm rest started to happen to me - this was probably the result of carrying it around in my backpack for so long. Still, when I replace my ol' Whitey, I'll splurge and get something with an aluminum casing.
  • Reply 45 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

This certainly debunks the notion that the motherboard change is what kept Firewire off of the aluminum MacBooks. Could this new model with FW400 indicate that Apple has listened to the cries and will restore Firewire of some flavor across the product line?

No, it doesn't debunk anything. The motherboard in the new white macbooks is basically the old motherboard with the nvidia chipset instead of an intel one. Since that motherboard has room for a firewire port, apple was able to keep the firewire port. However, the motherboard in the the aluminum macbooks has no room for a firewire port. It was simply designed smaller. Firewire can return to the aluminum macbooks if apple uses a slightly smaller battery to make more room on the bottom left side of the notebook, but reducing battery life and stocking another battery model seems unlikely. It's more likely for Apple to wait for when the macbooks get an unswappable battery like the 17 inch pro.
  • Reply 46 of 118
    I recall our discussions on the Mac Mini that it was one of only a few pieces of hardware yet to move to a 1066Mhz FSB.

Now we have one less piece of hardware not exhibiting this minimum.

I expect the Mac Mini to make the move to that as well and thus you can draw inferences onto which CPUs may or may not be chosen for it.
  • Reply 47 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Their is no "so now" about it. The polycarb MB has always had a FW400 port.

By "so now" I meant that the white macbook is now less of a legacy product than it was previously. Yes, it's an 'old' design, but the internals have been updated to match current specs.
  • Reply 48 of 118
    2ghz core 2 duo. Check

9400M graphics. Check

Firewire and TDM Check

affordable price Check

Replacement for G3 iBook found.
  • Reply 49 of 118
    I am fresh in the market for a new macbook and was set to drop the extra money on an aluminum model until this morning. My concern is that ddr2 bottle-neck and if I'll be able to sleep at night (regardless of whether or not it will actually effect me in any way). Since I'd like 4GB anyway, can I update to 4GB DDR3 and no longer be crippled?
  • Reply 50 of 118
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Still, when I replace my ol' Whitey...

everyone is replacing their ol' Whitey
  • Reply 51 of 118
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I was just thinking that if someone had suggested that the white MB was going to get upgraded to near feature parity with the AL MB, they would have been laughed off the forums... I'm going to keep my mind open when I hear the next crazy ass prediction.
  • Reply 52 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I was just thinking that if someone had suggested that the white MB was going to get upgraded to near feature parity with the AL MB, they would have been laughed off the forums... I'm going to keep my mind open when I hear the next crazy ass prediction.

Probably. I was expecting this old-body MB to last a good year, I would have only expected a default RAM amonunt and HDD capacity upgrade. Not a MoBo change.
  • Reply 53 of 118
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    This is a bit disappointing as it sort of rules out a price drop for the aluminium lineup any time soon.

I was hoping, as many others probably were that the white model would be phased out and the aluminium model would drop to the price of the white one sooner rather than later.

Now, all the aluminium one really has is the enclosure vs the white one and it's a fair bit more expensive and without firewire.

I think the metal enclosure is far better than aluminium but when people are struggling to justify paying for a machine at all, they should have taken a hit on the new ones. People now know the aluminium ones exist and if they can't afford them just now, they will just hold off and Apple will lose their sales for a few months.
  • Reply 54 of 118
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    So when do they re-name it "The MacBook Classic"?
  • Reply 55 of 118
    i am super pissed i just got a macbook in nov the white one... and now they upgrade it WTF, why does apple do this? i am gonna try to sell mine on craigslist, or something. this pisses me off...
  • Reply 56 of 118
    Since the arcitecture is still the 9400M, it supports 1066mhz ddr 3 ram. So you would have to buy the ram on your own even if apple doesn't put it on their website. Now, the only question i have is that the ram speed might be 800 mhz, not 667 mhz, because i don't think the 9400m can support 667 ddr2. but i could be wrong. But for sure, you can put 1066mhz ddr3 ram into the new white macbook.
  • Reply 57 of 118
    I'm still waiting for the bullies over at Greenpeace to chime in on this.

Apple has stated a "goal" of eliminating certain plastics and toxins from it's products by the end of 2008. Previous to this, Apple could say that they were trying to reach the goal with each new product, but are still a bit short given the existence of some of the older product line. In other words they could say that they didn't have time to switch out those products for more green alternatives so far. The production of this notebook on the other hand (assuming it still has da bad stuff in it), can only be seen as an intentional decision to not worry about that for now.

Anyone know definitively if this new MB is still toxic or not?
  • Reply 58 of 118
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sortarican4711 View Post

i am super pissed i just got a macbook in nov the white one... and now they upgrade it WTF, why does apple do this? i am gonna try to sell mine on craigslist, or something. this pisses me off...

No.1 Mac Rule:

Apple giveth and Apple taketh away.

translated: Life's a bitch and then you die.
  • Reply 59 of 118
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwhitney View Post

Since I'd like 4GB anyway, can I update to 4GB DDR3 and no longer be crippled?

No. DDR3 uses a different voltage and has a different number of pins. Whilst the chipset can support DDR3, it has to be hard-wired on the motherboard as such, the correct power supply must be provided on the motherboard for the RAM, and the correct slots must be used.
  • Reply 60 of 118
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazaracsp View Post

But for sure, you can put 1066mhz ddr3 ram into the new white macbook.

No you can't. See post above.