Help w/ macbook usb/firewire problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello, we recently purchased 2 aluminum MacBook's for use by our video department. They currently have 2 iMac G4's. We have recently run into the problem that the macbooks do not have a firewire port, and our camcorder needs a firewire port. We have a usb cable for the camcorders but it only transfers still images, not video.

Is there any kind of firewire to usb hub that we can purchase? Also the camcorders put video to a mini dv tape, does iMovie 08 and Final Cut work with that? I realize I made a huge mistake by not researching the macbook/no firewire problem (lots of info on it too ) but I am trying to get these guys off the G4's asap. Any help would be appreciated. Also the camcorders (cannon) have a sd card spot but the quality to the sd card is not acceptable. AHHHHHH

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Yes, absolutely. Google "Firewire USB Hub" and you'll get a plethora of solutions
  • Reply 2 of 3
    No offence. But thats why they still have the white macbook .
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Yes, absolutely. Google "Firewire USB Hub" and you'll get a plethora of solutions

NOT for converting signals. it acts as a hub for firewire or usb, you can't go firewire > usb.