Seriously... it's 2009 and no way to dock a MacBook Pro...?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I hate having side cables sticking out of my MBP. At least on the new one they are all one the same side but on this last gen MBP I have power and sound on one side and everything else on the other side. I kinda wish all the ports were in the back.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    One should keep checking the website below. They make docking stations for MacBook Pros and MacBooks. Currently there isn't a way to dock the new uni-body MacBook or MacBook Pro. Thats why I say keep checking back. I'm sure they're working on one.

BookEndz
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

One should keep checking the website below. They make docking stations for MacBook Pros and MacBooks. Currently there isn't a way to dock the new uni-body MacBook or MacBook Pro. Thats why I say keep checking back. I'm sure they're working on one.

BookEndz

As i originally mentioned... I am aware that some 3rd-party solutions exist, but they are far from elegant and the fundamental flaws are in Apple's lack of an integrated solution. One that does not require awkward clamp-like appendages that connect with each port.

I would be happy with a 3rd-party solution if Apple would at least put all the ports in ONE PLACE.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.....
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.....

What cake...? The need for an Apple-designed and Apple-branded solution is what's being discussed. Not just "any old dock". Have you looked at those Frankenstein Monster-esque solutions...? Granted, they are doing the best with what's made by Apple, but they are still hideous and enormous.

Those 3rd part products are band-aids... built out of necessity because of a lack of consideration from Apple regarding dockability.

I truly think Apple could easily "solve" this issue if the need were large enough. I just don't think there are enough high-end users that need as much connectivity to peripherals. For those that DO need it, Apple is probably okay with letting other companies "solve" that issue. Which is an unfortunate result for those that want an elegant solution.

Kudos to BookEndz... but they're just plain awkward and unattractive.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightwaver67 View Post

- Video connection

- USB connection

- FireWire Connection

- Auido in/out connection

- Power connection

- Ethernet connection

Docking would be a one-click operation.

Manual connection of 6 cables is ugly and cumbersome.

Some of us have MANY things to connect/disconnect.

Wait i dont get it. Whats the point of buying something seperate if its already in the macbook itself, just buy a usb hub?
  • Reply 27 of 62
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You'll notice that the latest iterations of Apple's laptops put all the ports on one side, so at the very least a third party dock solution just got a lot easier. Magsafe and mini displayport make those connectors easier to deal with, as well.

Also, there's no reason to imagine that such a solution need be grotesque or of any less quality than something Apple might have made. If someone makes something nice, why would there be a "need" for Apple to do it?
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Wait i dont get it. Whats the point of buying something seperate if its already in the macbook itself, just buy a usb hub?

Not sure what you're saying. A USB hub will only help with the USB peripherals. Did you not see the list of other things needed to be connected for some of us "Pro" users...?

- Video connection: For MULTIPLE displays

- USB connection: For a host of USB peripherals and dongles/keys

- FireWire Connection: For high-speed drive and backup as well as VidCap

- Auido in/out connection: Self explanatory

- Power connection: Self explanatory

- Ethernet connection: As explained earlier, not *everyone* has WiFi at work. Some of us have hard-wired CAT5

What is "in" the MacBook Pro that would negate the use of all-6 of those ports being connected?

And to addabox re: "You'll notice that the latest iterations of Apple's laptops put all the ports on one side, so at the very least a third party dock solution just got a lot easier. Magsafe and mini displayport make those connectors easier to deal with, as well.

Also, there's no reason to imagine that such a solution need be grotesque or of any less quality than something Apple might have made. If someone makes something nice, why would there be a "need" for Apple to do it?
    "

I agree having the ports all on one-side will make it easier (as said above) but regarding grotesque... I am not assuming anything. So far everything I've seen (and there's not much out there) is really bulky, awkward looking and overall unattractive because of how they are trying to reverse-engineer a solution.

Again - my point is... Apple could simply make/provide a universal Multi-Pin port somewhere on the machine; side, bottom back, wherever... allowing themselves or a 3rd-party to make a simple solution for docking. That's all.

Just because *YOU* (and that's a collective *you* in general to anyone) may not need a dock solution, some of us DO.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    Some ports are very delicate and have fragile pins. The less plugging/unplugging the better. A dock would allow for some ports to have much less strain put on them. The dock pins themselves (depending on the design) are more robust.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightwaver67 View Post

Not sure what you're saying. A USB hub will only help with the USB peripherals. Did you not see the list of other things needed to be connected for some of us "Pro" users...?

- Video connection: For MULTIPLE displays

- USB connection: For a host of USB peripherals and dongles/keys

- FireWire Connection: For high-speed drive and backup as well as VidCap

- Auido in/out connection: Self explanatory

- Power connection: Self explanatory

- Ethernet connection: As explained earlier, not *everyone* has WiFi at work. Some of us have hard-wired CAT5

What is "in" the MacBook Pro that would negate the use of all-6 of those ports being connected?

And to addabox re: "You'll notice that the latest iterations of Apple's laptops put all the ports on one side, so at the very least a third party dock solution just got a lot easier. Magsafe and mini displayport make those connectors easier to deal with, as well.

"

I agree having the ports all on one-side will make it easier (as said above) but regarding grotesque... I am not assuming anything. So far everything I've seen (and there's not much out there) is really bulky, awkward looking and overall unattractive because of how they are trying to reverse-engineer a solution.

Again - my point is... Apple could simply make/provide a universal Multi-Pin port somewhere on the machine; side, bottom back, wherever... allowing themselves or a 3rd-party to make a simple solution for docking. That's all.

Just because *YOU* (and that's a collective *you* in general to anyone) may not need a dock solution, some of us DO.

Ah, ok. Everyone made it sound like all they needed was more usb, good point. But docks are ugly and make everything look bad in my opinion that is...
  • Reply 31 of 62
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Ah, ok. Everyone made it sound like all they needed was more usb, good point. But docks are ugly and make everything look bad in my opinion that is...

The work arounds for the MacBooks, yes. But not so bad when the laptop was designed to use a special docking connector.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

Yes, most 3rd-party docks ARE unattractive because they are trying to solve the problem by using the EXISTING port layout on whichever laptop they're designing for... again, this was all mentioned above. That's the whole point of my post (rant), is that Apple really COULD (should?) provide an elegant solution for notebook users that have multiple physical connections to make.

Until Apple comes up with an Apple-designed multi-pin port... 3rd party designers have to deal with what they're dealt. So, that means big, bulky clamp-on style docks that on occasion need to connect to both sides of the laptop.

Granted, this isn't keeping me up at night. I'm not losing sleep over this, but it WOULD make me (and quite a few others) a VERY happy person.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scott Finlayson View Post

What cake...? The need for an Apple-designed and Apple-branded solution is what's being discussed. Not just "any old dock". Have you looked at those Frankenstein Monster-esque solutions...? Granted, they are doing the best with what's made by Apple, but they are still hideous and enormous.

Those 3rd part products are band-aids... built out of necessity because of a lack of consideration from Apple regarding dockability.

I truly think Apple could easily "solve" this issue if the need were large enough. I just don't think there are enough high-end users that need as much connectivity to peripherals. For those that DO need it, Apple is probably okay with letting other companies "solve" that issue. Which is an unfortunate result for those that want an elegant solution.

Kudos to BookEndz... but they're just plain awkward and unattractive.

Docks are so 1990's...

Like you said, there isn't enough demand for Apple to give a damn. It simply isn't a major issue for the vast majority of Mac notebook users.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Guys, it is because Apple targets these laptops as consumer machines. This is the main reason why it has not made much progress into Corporates. All corporates uses crap PCs but with very nice docks that actually works very well.

The old days of the DualDock were to some extend a fairly reasonable entry into the Corporate, unless the proliferation of MS apps on Windows pretty much outlawed macs before the OSX days.

So unless Apple changes its target market segment, we are stuck with nice laptops without docks.

PS: In my Corporate laptop,I broke two HPs laptops but the dock seemed to survive the serious abuse.

• Reply 35 of 62
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    MacBook Pros are supposed to be "docked" with an Apple LCD Display. This has been true with Apple Pro laptops for many years.

You buy a Cinema Display, plug your keyboard into it (plug your mouse into your keyboard) and plug any other always-needed-while-docked peripheral into the display's other USB port (or FireWire port).

Then when you arrive at your desk, you "dock" by connecting a whopping 2 cables (the display connector and USB connector).

I use my 17" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with a 23" Cinema Display every day and plugging in two cords is not anywhere near an inconvenience. (I also keep a second charger at my desk, so I actually plug in three cords when I'm going to be "docked" for a while).

The new Apple Display even makes this simpler with the inclusion of a charging cable for the unibodies.

If you want the old school IBM ThinkPad bulky docking station, you need to buy a Windows laptop, as you will never see a first party solution and any third party solutions will be highly inelegant..
  • Reply 36 of 62
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

MacBook Pros are supposed to be "docked" with an Apple LCD Display. This has been true with Apple Pro laptops for many years.

You buy a Cinema Display, plug your keyboard into it (plug your mouse into your keyboard) and plug any other always-needed-while-docked peripheral into the display's other USB port (or FireWire port).

Then when you arrive at your desk, you "dock" by connecting a whopping 2 cables (the display connector and USB connector).

I use my 17" PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with a 23" Cinema Display every day and plugging in two cords is not anywhere near an inconvenience. (I also keep a second charger at my desk, so I actually plug in three cords when I'm going to be "docked" for a while).

The new Apple Display even makes this simpler with the inclusion of a charging cable for the unibodies.

If you want the old school IBM ThinkPad bulky docking station, you need to buy a Windows laptop, as you will never see a first party solution and any third party solutions will be highly inelegant..

This is a bit heavy on the kool-aid. We're asking for a Dock that doesn't require that we buy a $900 LCD monitor. I know Apple's approach to docking but connecting two cables is still more work for less return than sliding your laptop into a holder and touching no cables.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This is a bit heavy on the kool-aid. We're asking for a Dock that doesn't require that we buy a $900 LCD monitor. I know Apple's approach to docking but connecting two cables is still more work for less return than sliding your laptop into a holder and touching no cables.

Even if you didn't buy an Apple LCD Monitor, you can pick up a used VGA monitor and get an adaptor for all I care, but we're still talking about plugging in one monitor cable and (at the most) a downstream USB cable from a powered USB hub (that has your keyboard, external drive, etc. plugged into it). Big whoop. If you need a structure, get an iCurve.

Docking stations are inelegant. Look at IBM's offerings throughout the late 1990s:

The Under dock:

Little plastic doors on the laptop's underbelly that expose ports to snap onto a dock. Material can get into those ports via the docking station topside connectors and damage the laptop. The little plastic doors can break. An overly aggressive user decides one day that he doesn't have the time to press an eject button and damages the dock and/or the laptop. The underdock gets hot as the laptop radiates heat, causing thermal issues.

The dock-behind/spine dock:

Docks via snapping into the back spine of the laptop. Did you push it in all the way? Will opening the laptop lid slightly eject the laptop? Will the heat vents on the back dissipate heat enough?

I supported laptops in educational and newspaper environments and let me tell you, docking stations break laptops and the docking stations themselves just aren't worth it.

That's why you don't see one.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    That's a weird experience. In the last 5 jobs I worked at docks were used extensively on the PC laptops. Laptops broke before docks did. Everyone likes them. At the agency I am now, we have one exec that won't go back to a MacBook Pro because he loves his Dell dock. If Apple made a dock, sans the elaborate connectors some PCs have, it would sell like gangbusters.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:

Docking stations are inelegant.

Says you.

Quote:

The Under dock:

Little plastic doors on the laptop's underbelly that expose ports to snap onto a dock. Material can get into those ports via the docking station topside connectors and damage the laptop. The little plastic doors can break.

Guess what. All the ports on a Mac are exposed anyways. This is a non issue and any engineer worth his salt can over come this.

Quote:

An overly aggressive user decides one day that he doesn't have the time to press an eject button and damages the dock and/or the laptop.

The employer has other issues than broken laptops if this happens. What's preventing this person from throwing the laptop across the office? Or what if the employee, on his MBP, decides he 'doesn't have the time' to properly disengage the ethernet connector? I see that far more often. Or unscrew the DVI/VGA connector?

Quote:

The underdock gets hot as the laptop radiates heat, causing thermal issues.

Better get rid of desks and tables too. I hear people put laptops on those too.

Quote:

The dock-behind/spine dock:

Docks via snapping into the back spine of the laptop. Did you push it in all the way? Will opening the laptop lid slightly eject the laptop? Will the heat vents on the back dissipate heat enough?

I guess if the laptop maker is too stupid to not foresee these issues, they shouldn't be making docks for their computers.

In the end, I actually agree with you. Apple won't make a dock for the laptops especially if only 25% of the people would get one. It's just a shame because if anyone could make a great docking solution, it's Apple.\
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:

Again... NOWHERE does that address the need for Ethernet/CAT5 connection, FireWire Connections and Audio in/out connections.

I (and some others) "get it"... I KNOW we're not Apple's biggest market segment - people who NEED to attach NUMEROUS things to our workstations to get work done.

But stop trying to say that their current solution (power/video/USB bundle) is a solution in any way, shape or form for power users. It's not. It's not even close.

WIll they make one...? Who knows? But what they offer now is NOT geared towards users with multi-connectivity needs.