Report hints at next-gen iPhone in June

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) Higher grade of scratch resistant plastic.

2.) MMS - text and pics

3.) Video recording along with improved camera.

4.) Expandable memory

5.) Flash- both for the camera and for Safari

6.) and last but certainly not least - cut and paste

I seem to remember an Apple patent from a year or two ago on using a ceramic enclosure for portables. It would allow for improved signal strength, scratch resistance etc. I wonder ?
  • Reply 22 of 88
    Oh I can't wait. I hope they sell it at Best Buy the day it comes out. I hate Best Buy, but my boss gave me a $300 gift card for Christmas and an iPhone is the only thing they sell that I would want to buy
  • Reply 23 of 88
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What exactly is higher grade scratch resistant plastic? You can't just make stuff up.

You keep saying Apple uses cheap plastic. But you never qualify your knowledge of plastics, or the difference between durable and cheap plastic.

Quote:

• Reply 24 of 88
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    If the iPhone doesn't have Firewire I will never buy another Apple product again.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Its Transparent Aluminum I'm holding out for.

Quote:

2.) MMS - text and pics

Its never coming, get over it. Clearly there's no technical reason why it couldn't have been in iPhone 1.0, let alone 3.0, so I think we can safely say that the iPhone will never have MMS.

Quote:

3.) Video recording along with improved camera.

Would be nice I admit!

Quote:

4.) Expandable memory

would be nice, but its not going to happen.

Quote:

5.) Flash- both for the camera and for Safari

The former would be nice, the latter I don't want. Most of what is done in flash can be done in CSS/Javascript/HTML. Video is the one exception, but I'd prefer Apple push for HTML5 and its standard video support.

Quote:

6.) and last but certainly not least - cut and paste

Amen brother.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Well the only hardware changes I would like seen would be:

-Forward facing camera for iChat AV

-Higher end Digital Camera on back to help with motion blur and low light environments

-"N" Wireless chip. I'm finding a lot of "N" only networks that I cannot connect to.

I can see the first two happening if apple feels like upgrading the camera and if att lets ichat video work on their network. The wireless N I don't think we will see that. I am not a wireless card expert but so far the N cards that I have seen have generated far more heat then g spec cards. Has any chip manufacturer been demoing a low power mobile n chipset?

Jim
  • Reply 27 of 88
    The TG01 does have a very impressive display, its incredibly thin, and bosts A2DP

Of course it runs an OS where you have to go into settings to set processor speed for improved performance OR battery life. I hope the next IPhone is smart enough to figure out optimum processor speed, however thin design, A2DP, and an even better display are on my wish (hope) list
  • Reply 28 of 88
    1. Faster processor (which seems pretty likely)

2. Cut and paste

3. Better Camera

4. Maybe MMS capability

Other than these I have no complaints about the phone. Some of AT&T's coverage in my area is spotty though.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

So, like lipstick on a pig then.

A Sarah Palin Reference? : Just kidding.

As much as I would love to get a new iphone there are two things holding me back. The first is that where I live there is no 3g coverage and probably will not be for some time and I refuse to pay additional monies for a service I can not use. The second is that I will not replace my first gen iphone with one that has significantly less battery life then my current one. With many people griping about the 3g phones short battery life how can apple up the specs on the phone without ending up with a 1 hour battery life. \
  • Reply 30 of 88
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

If the iPhone doesn't have Firewire I will never buy another Apple product again.

I guess this is goodbye then?
  • Reply 31 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

I seem to remember an Apple patent from a year or two ago on using a ceramic enclosure for portables. It would allow for improved signal strength, scratch resistance etc. I wonder ?

I remember this also. I emailed Apple concerning this. I don't know how cost feasible this is, BUT- if Apple were to adopt this in the manufacture of their iPhone/Touch enclosures, man no one would complain of scratches. I own a Rado watch, which uses that ceramic technology. The only thing that can scratch it are diamonds (they can scratch almost anything) and carborumdum, which is found in concrete.) It would really be great if Apple made use of this!
  • Reply 32 of 88
    Besides all the obvious features that we all want such as the MMS/pics, better camera w/ flash, adobe flash/MS Silverlight for Safari, more RAM, bigger hard drive, better scratch resistant screens, etc., what Apple needs to do is not repeat the clusterf**k that was last year in how they sold the phone. They should definitely allow everyone to be able to order online as well as going to the brick & mortar stores. They should keep the online pre-approval/credit check forms and as long as you qualify, you can place an order if you can't physically make it to the store.

Last year's process was idiotic, time consuming and just outright annoying. Even though they make great products, they need to stop alienating the consumers who do purchase their products.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Well, it better be thinner, faster and quicker... and larger screen...

Toshiba New Touch phone looks awesome.....

Well, the Toshiba TG01 is lovely thin at 9.9mm (compared to the iPhones 12.3mm) but it's friggin' huge! No thanks. Thinness not at the price of hugeness. Many of my friends already complain about the iPhone being too big. Even bigger? Are you serious?

Although a higher-resolution screen would be nice in the next iPhone.

I wonder how much of a hassle this would be for game developers. Would old games be upscaled (and blurry) on a higher res iPhone? Although I suppose most developers would welcome the ability to sell their games (in a high-res version) again to the same user...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jagil View Post

Unibody!

Uhm, no.

As much as I'd love to get my aluminum iPhone 2.5G back, Apple had to move to plastic for signal reception. Aluminum works too well as radio frequency shield. And unlike MacBooks which have a huge plastic hinge where all the antennas are located, the iPhone hasn't room for that. Half the case would have to be plastic. And that looks odd.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,752member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Snaps to that!
  • Reply 35 of 88
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Well the only hardware changes I would like seen would be:

-"N" Wireless chip. I'm finding a lot of "N" only networks that I cannot connect to.

I thought 802.11n was backwards compatible with 'g'....no? Also, given the processor speed of the iPhone, what advantage would there been in a larger pipe coming in? The extra range would be good.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I thought 802.11n was backwards compatible with 'g'....no? Also, given the processor speed of the iPhone, what advantage would there been in a larger pipe coming in? The extra range would be good.

802.11n is backwards compatible, however it is also possible to make a network that isn't backwards compatible. Whenever a 802.11g device is on an 802.11n network, the network slows down. That's the reason I have two wireless networks: one for my phone (802.11g) and one for my computers (802.11n)
  • Reply 37 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

Some people want to get 2.4Ghz network devices off the LAN. That spectrum is congested and will never perform like it can.

I'm going to move to a 5Ghz network only and I've already bought a DECT 6 phone system to further stay away from 2.4Ghz.

The iPhone certainly needs to go 802.11n if only for ease of network sake.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Some people want to get 2.4Ghz network devices off the LAN. That spectrum is congested and will never perform like it can.

I'm going to move to a 5Ghz network only and I've already bought a DECT 6 phone system to further stay away from 2.4Ghz.

The iPhone certainly needs to go 802.11n if only for ease of network sake.

Would like to see faster 3G speeds, although do not believe really a function of the phone, others have proven otherwise. Wi Fi is fast.

Would like to see FLASH

Turn by Turn GPS with option LOUD back or bottom LARGER speaker used for GPS

Cut and Paster

Video Conferencing on WiFi and 3G

Free Tethering

You know there has to be an update. Millions will be in year 2 of their contract and can dump the phone. The good news is that we should see significant improvements due to this combined with the Palm Pre price coming in at a possible $119 price point.

Also wondering what type of deal they will have for present iPhone users (less than 2 years), as I remember when the iPhone 3G came out, anyone with an iPhone could upgrade, just had to resign for a new two year contract. Hopefully you can keep the old phone in case something happens to it.

Would also like to see insurance for the phone.

Hoping that the PRE PALM comes out ROCK'n soon so we have some competitiveness.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Hoping that the PRE PALM comes out ROCK'n soon so we have some competitiveness.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that
  • Reply 40 of 88
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    This is a surprise? Does anyone think Apple could get away with not updating the iPhone a year after the last update? The one change that could make me buy one is if AT&T isn't the sole carrier anymore. When does Apple's exclusivity contract with AT&T expire again?