New photos may show rear of next-gen iPhone casing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It looks like it's an injection moulding.

I'll second that. The only marks that I can see are 99% ejector marks.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattRebs View Post

What about Carbon Fiber??

Wasn't it recently reported that Apple was looking into carbon fiber moldings for MacBook Air casing. What if apple is using it on the iPhone as well. This definately looks like carbon fiber.

As carbon fibers are highly conductive, I would assume that they shield the the whole thing in a similar way as a metal body.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

What use is a photo of the back

The same use as the photo of only the unibody part of the Macbook.

That is, not much use until possibly later on confirmed true or false.

I'm sick of rumours now, actually. No bloody iMac or Mac Mini update. WTF.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

As carbon fibers are highly conductive, I would assume that they shield the the whole thing in a similar way as a metal body.

Yes, CF works as a faraday's cage, so would be massively unsuitable for a phone. It's benefit is a very good strength-weight ratio, but the current iPhone doesn't really have any issues with being too weak or too heavy, it doesn't really seem necessary.

What you may think of as carbon fiber, is carbon fiber in a resin or other binding agent. The matte grey look you associate with carbon fiber is almost certainly just a coat of matte spray paint...
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The same use as the photo of only the unibody part of the Macbook.

That is, not much use until possibly later on confirmed true or false.

I'm sick of rumours now, actually. No bloody iMac or Mac Mini update. WTF.

I don't know whats worse, the lack of updates, the endless discussions about WHY there are no updates. or the lack of updates.

I think its the lack of updates to be honest.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,733member
    A matte back doesn't mean metal and it definitely isn't CF (which would have to be smooth on one side). The tooling is could simply be EDMed to create the texture. It's an old technique.

Machining grooves on the inside just mean the tooling wasn't polished to remove the milling lines. Why bother on the inside?

Expect a new iPhone around June. Apple has to have something for all those people coming off the two year contract of the original.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Whatever it is it is for sure going to be good.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bombadier337 View Post

This image from iFixit shows the inside of the current 3g and it has the same milling marks.

Could those marks be from the milled mold? I haven't worked at such factories, but logic tells me that injection molding can accomplish perfection nowadays and that milling plastic melts it.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

*ahem*

So where will the Serial Number go?

My iPhone 3G doesn't have a S/N on the back?????
  • Reply 50 of 56
    I do like the idea of a textured matte finish for the iPhone.

I bought a belkin skin for my 3G solely due the slipperiness of the current finish.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by >_> View Post

So where will the Serial Number go?

Same place where the one on the iPhone 3G is in my pocket - in the settings screen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Shouldn't there also be an IMEI number?

I'm sure there is one, it's just not emblazoned on the back of the phone.

I think the back is interesting since it looks like it is the same physical size, confirming speculation that they aren't reduceing the screen size (at least for this model).
  • Reply 52 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Same place where the one on the iPhone 3G is in my pocket - in the settings screen

I'm sure there is one, it's just not emblazoned on the back of the phone.

I think the back is interesting since it looks like it is the same physical size, confirming speculation that they aren't reduceing the screen size (at least for this model).

Take out your SIM, see those little numbers printed on the SIM tray?

That's the IMEI.

This is why it is important not to lose it or get it mixed up with another iPhone.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What's also suspicious about that image is how "o" and "e" are cut off on the bottom in "iPhone".

I also wonder what the "0682" means, at least it's the same on the 3G.

Nice catch! But no matter what they introduce I'll be getting it. Got the first one right after it hit the shelves but passed on the 3G. Been missing out.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Not so fast. It looks to me like they are indeed lowercase but the photo is blurry/bright making the dot on the i hard to see.

The i's are indeed lower case, it's just hard to see them with the reflection. There is a tiny notch at the top which matches the i's in California.

My hunch is that this is genuine. It's seems incremental enough, it's visually distinguishable from the current model, and it addresses complaints people have with having to place a shiny back against a table. I only wish they would go nanochromatic with it.

I don't think it is carbon fibre. The gain in lightness here is negligible. And isn't carbon fibre sometimes conductive which would reduce it's radiotransparency (faraday cage???)
  • Reply 55 of 56
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    oops... I see Copeland and eAi were onto the same thing (did not read either of their comments before posting)
  • Reply 56 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Take out your SIM, see those little numbers printed on the SIM tray?

What does the inside of the phone have to do with the back of the phone in the picture? That's what the original comments were about.