remote login

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Question:

Can I log into my home airport network and a computer on it when at work and connected to the internet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    If you have a dedicated IP address - or can find out the current IP your machine has when you want to log in...

Course if you have a firewall up (which is a good idea if you are using a DSL or cable modem) then you will need to poke a hole in it corresponding to the protocol you are going to use to connect to your home box.

Hmmm crap well now that I think about it I am not sure exactly how you would do it. You can get to your airport itself, but getting to the machine past that - not sure.

Someone with more networking experience will answer here any second!

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 10
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    I have never use Airport, so I am pretty useless to you there. As the previous poster mentioned, if you are using a firewall, you will need to forward a port to your Mac. However, the particular port(s) you set to be forwarded depends on how you wish to connect to your Mac.

If you want to telnet into your Mac, port 23.

If you want to ssl to your Mac, port 22.

If you want to ftp into your Mac, port 21.

If you want to VNC into your Mac, you will need to open a range, starting at 5800 and up to about 5810.

If you want to use Apple Remote Desktop ($500) I don't know what port, but you can find out.

Basically, the port you must open depends on the protocol you want to use, ehich depends on the level of control and interaction you wish to have remotely. If you are looking for a cheap and easy way to remotely administer you Mac, the you should try VNC. Not the most secure method, but it gives you pretty full, graphical control and is very easy to set up.

If you aren't using a firewall, you perhaps should look into that, but for now it makes things a little easier. You should be able to just setup/enable the connection protocol you want (vnc, telnet etc), and connect to your known IP. If you don't have a static IP, that is another issue. There are web sites that offer IP checking, where your Mac basically pings the server so the server knows it's IP. You then check the server and find your most current IP. haven't ever used them myself, but they are an option and usually free.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I think Jaguar will let you do it. In Jaguar you have the option to set up a firewall, and you can include or exclude whichever ports you want. You also have the option to do all kinds of sharing... file sharing, FTP, web, whatever. What I can't remember right now (not in front of my Jaguar machine at the moment) is whether Jaguar lets you set up DNS stuff like a router...I tend to think it does, but I'm not sure. In any case, Software Base Station software is essentially a software router, you should be able to get to internal machines by putting in the IP of the base station and then a specific port number.

I could be wrong because I've never tried it, but it's my understanding that it can and does work that way. Jaguar has a whole hell of a lot more to offer in the firewall and personal sharing department, which is really nice to see.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    [quote]Can I log into my home airport network and a computer on it when at work and connected to the internet?<hr></blockquote>

Yes.

1. go to <a href="http://whatismyip.com/"; target="_blank">http://whatismyip.com/</a>; to see what your IP address. Write it down.

2. Next, fire up sshd on your system. SSH (Secure SHell) Daemon is started with the command 'sshd'.

3. Go to work, download a free SSH client program for winblows/Mac OS/Unix, and launch it w/ command:

ssh &lt;your IP address&gt; -l &lt;your login name on your Mac&gt;

ie:

ssh 127.0.0.1 -l rupert

you are now logged in, and securely to boot.

Peace.

edit: BTW, if you do have a firewall (unlikely, from the sound of it), I believe SSH uses port 22, so set the firewall to allow incoming traffic on port 22)

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 10
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I have remotely logged into anothers computer before using this ssh method for which you describe in the terminal. I don't like suck things they spook me. I was hoping I could just use the connect feature and type in the IP address of the Airport hub.

But then how do I get to a specific computer. The computers have the "personal IP" address but I don't think I use that.

Sounds like their is no graphical user interface.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    When you are routing a DSL/Cable connection to more than one computer ( what it seems your are doing over airport ). Then the router needs to know where the incoming traffic needs to be directed to. I have not used airport base station (I assume that is what you have), but you need to somehow tell the router that when it accepts incoming packets on a certain port that it needs to forward them you the IP of your computer on the local network... in laymen's terms you need to set the 'port forwarding' option on your router to the IP address that your home computer is using on the home network. You should be able to figure this out by running 'ifconfig' in the terminal, I believe. ( whatismyip.com will not work ... this site will only tell you the IP address that your cable modem/DSL line has, this is only the IP address that the outside world sees you as, this is also the IP that you will need to use when you connect from work). Some other Mac people may be able to enlighten you more the the specifics of figuring out the IP that your home computer has on the home airport network, and how to set port forwarding on an airport base stationand such, since my only Mac experience is helping my friend with his OSX probs, since I know linux/unix.

Just remember that the outside world only sees the IP address of your DSL/Cable and they only see your router (airport basestation) as ONE computer ... the base station takes care of all the internal features of your home network, while keeping the outside work thinking that you are really only a single computer, when you can be many on the network. You can get to the basestation from the outside world, but the base station handles the connection from then on in, and you have to tell it how you want it to handle the connection.

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: pyr3 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Are you using DHCP from the airport? If you are you need to use a static IP inside the Airport network, i.e. something on the 192.168.x.x network. You'll have to figure out what IP the Airport will let you use. I have never used Airport, but I imagine it is something like a router.

The Airport may also be acting as a firewall, blocking trafic going into your network. You will need to go into the airports configuration and have all traffic on port 22, SSH, be sent onto your 192.168.x.x IP. Don't use telnet, in is completely insecure.

Also for future reference, /etc/services describes all the known ports used by well known services. So you can look in that for any other ports that you may want to open up.

Also for SSH you may need to add a startup sript for the server in /System/Library/StartupItems. <a href="http://www.stepwise.com"; target="_blank">http://www.stepwise.com</a>; has many good discussions on that.

And by the way, OS X already has a firewall it jsut doesn't have a nice GUI on it.

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]The Airport may also be acting as a firewall, blocking trafic going into your network. You will need to go into the airports configuration and have all traffic on port 22, SSH, be sent onto your 192.168.x.x IP. Don't use telnet, in is completely insecure.<hr></blockquote>

This is most likely the case since the 192.168.x.x range is specifically for use on private networks only, and if the airport wasn't acting like a firewall then he would need internet IPs for each computer on his internal network.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I think I may give up. I am on old fashion GUI type guy.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by salmonstk:

<strong>I think I may give up. I am on old fashion GUI type guy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry I didn't mean to scare you...

It looks like you can go into the Airport Setup Assistant ( i think that's the right name ) and choose a specific address. I was wrong about the class of network the airport uses, it is actually 10.0.1.2 -&gt; 10.0.1.200

Now you can choose any address in that range and then set the airport to not give out that address any more. Just change the DHCP range (it's not as scary as it sounds) to something like 10.0.1.50 -&gt; 10.0.1.200, and make you computer use a static IP address like 10.0.1.2.

Now that should give your computer a static IP on the airport network.

Okay now for opening up the Airport to external traffic: Using the AirPort admin tool you click on port mapping and set up a new one. For ssh make it port 22 on the public port, put in the private IP address you chose, 10.0.1.2, and make the private port 22. And you are done!

Now I got all this from ducuments on Apples site. I may have gotten some information wrong, but It should be close enough.

Remember explore... you can always reset the settings, or reinstall the OS. Just play around, have fun, and you will learn so much...

oh, and another thing. GUI's are not old fashioned. The terminal is old fashioned

[ 07-24-2002: Message edited by: BlueJekyll ]</p>