Next 15" MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm new to the board and have done some research from other threads. I know it is just speculation, but what can we expect to see in the next 15" MBP ? i.e. in-built battery

Cheers,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I can see this happening once the batter life for those batteries actually reaches 8 hours and not 6. Replaceable batteries are always nice to have even if the user never takes it out to swap it.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    if there is a refresh at some point later this year i would hazard a guess at Blue-ray and different cpu types.. but the rest will stay the same...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJMarkyMarc View Post

if there is a refresh at some point later this year i would hazard a guess at Blue-ray and different cpu types.. but the rest will stay the same...

I'm thinking that an update may come sooner rather than later. And I base this on Apple's naming convention and history.

Right now, Apple's notebook line up is MacBook (Late 2008), 15-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2008), and 17-inch MacBook Pro (Late 2009). Seems a little incongruent.

Soon after the 17" MacBook Pro was introduced at NAB in April 2006, Apple updated the 15" MacBook Pro in May by dropping the 1.83GHz model, and bring the processors down the line.

Apple may want to push the 2.53GHz down the line to the low end MacBook Pro, and bring the mid-range model to 2.66GHz; plus offer the same drive options WRT the 256GB SSD option.

Another possibility with such a bump would be offering up the anti-glare option on the 15...which I bet is also in the offering.

Other changes, seem like they may require more retooling, like building-in the battery and reducing the looseness of the hinge to bring it in line with the 17".
  • Reply 4 of 20
    I would honestly like to see the 17 and possibly the 15 get Quad Core processors in them. I was shocked when they announced that the 17 had a Core 2. It still doesn't make since to me.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

I would honestly like to see the 17 and possibly the 15 get Quad Core processors in them. I was shocked when they announced that the 17 had a Core 2. It still doesn't make since to me.

Go find out how much power the quad-core processors need, how much heat they produce, and how thick and how heavy laptops using said processors are, and it'll start to make more sense (not "since") to you.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Go find out how much power the quad-core processors need, how much heat they produce, and how thick and how heavy laptops using said processors are, and it'll start to make more sense (not "since") to you.

Oh stupid me, I made a grammatical error oh I am so sorry

If Apple can manage to have Intel shrink the Core 2 by 60% for the MacBook Air, it can work with Intel to make some enhancements to Quad-Core processors.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Oh stupid me, I made a grammatical error oh I am so sorry

Yes, it was a bit dumb wasn't it? It's not like "since" is a simply typo of "sense". They are completely different words. Perhaps English is not your first language in which case it's not so dumb.

Quote:

If Apple can manage to have Intel shrink the Core 2 by 60% for the MacBook Air, it can work with Intel to make some enhancements to Quad-Core processors.

Nope, doesn't work like that. With a complex integrated circuit such as a processor, the majority of the functions are carried out on the "die" - the piece of silicon that contains all the millions of transistors. However, you can't fit a bare silicon die onto a circuit board - it has to be packaged, which involves encasing the die in plastic, adding a few "peripheral components" such as capacitors, and connecting all the I/O and power connections on the die to pins in the plastic package.

Here's an image of a core 2 duo processor:

On the left is the "top side", on the right is the underside of the same chip. The black bit in the middle of the chip with the intel logo on it is the actual die (with protective coating on top). The round gold-coloured things around the edge of the underside of the chip are the pins (pointing straight up in the picture), and the rectangular things in the middle of the underside are most probably surface-mount capacitors but some of them could be resistors.

The shrinkage of which you speak for the MacBook Air's Core 2 Duo was related to the packaging, not the die, so the power consumption and heat generation is the same as other low-voltage Core 2 Duos.

Quad Core processors require a certain amount of power and generate a certain amount of heat and the only thing you can do about that is move to a new process and/or make the design work at a lower voltage. Neither of these things is trivial. The current Quad Core processors simply are not viable in the slim MacBook designs and that's that.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    That's the thing, as soon as Phil Shiller said it was the thinnest 17'' notebook in the world, I knew they weren't going to go Quad-Core. There should be no reason why they won't ship the 17'' model in a Quad-Core configuration. Hell they didn't even put the "Extreme" processors in there.

This is the notebook my uncle owns:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218052535616

That has a Quad-Core Processor in it and it doesn't even touch the heat that my old MacBook Pro with a Core Duo processor and it gets a very good amount of battery life (around 3-4 hours a depending on what he is doing) while my old MacBook Pro gets about 2-3 with a new battery.

This thing also has a bunch a free space in it for really know reason at all. I guess that is what you get with plastic computers but I am sure Apple can get a Quad-Core chip into the 17'' MBP just fine with a little body work. It can still be slim and sexy like it is now but more powerful. The current 17'' MBP's price isn't exactly justifiable either.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

That's the thing, as soon as Phil Shiller said it was the thinnest 17'' notebook in the world, I knew they weren't going to go Quad-Core. There should be no reason why they won't ship the 17'' model in a Quad-Core configuration.

...apart from the fact that it's too thin.

Quote:

Hell they didn't even put the "Extreme" processors in there.

Because it's too thin

Quote:

This is the notebook my uncle owns:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218052535616

Yes, impressive specs but it's 1.7" thick and weighs 4 Kg! It's 107% bigger (i.e., more than double) than; 33% heavier than; and has 50% the battery life of; the 17" MacBook Pro.

Quote:

That has a Quad-Core Processor in it and it doesn't even touch the heat that my old MacBook Pro with a Core Duo processor and it gets a very good amount of battery life (around 3-4 hours a depending on what he is doing) while my old MacBook Pro gets about 2-3 with a new battery.

Your MacBook Pro also weighs considerably less than that machine. If it gets that hot with a 35 watt processor, imagine how hot it would get with a 45 watt one.

Quote:

I am sure Apple can get a Quad-Core chip into the 17'' MBP just fine with a little body work.

No, it would be more than "a little body work". It would require a totally separate model. I do think that Apple should release such a model, in addition to the current version.

Quote:

The current 17'' MBP's price isn't exactly justifiable either.

Sure it is. It's the world's thinnest and lightest 17" laptop, has an 8 hour battery life, Firewire 800, optical digital audio I/O, all-metal construction, LED backlit screen and mult-touch glass trackpad. No other 17" laptop comes close, hence the premium price.
  • Reply 10 of 20
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azulmarino View Post

Hi,

I'm new to the board and have done some research from other threads. I know it is just speculation, but what can we expect to see in the next 15" MBP ? i.e. in-built battery

Cheers,

Wondering the same things here too, actually my situation is somewhat different as I am considering purchasing the MacBook Pro 15" for my son at the moment. Not knowing much about mac & wanting to broaden my horizons too (recent convert from good ol PC!) the question I have at this point in the units 'cycle' is if we buy now (before this highly rumored update that includes the new OS), are we buying into a machine with hardware characteristics that will have difficulties upgrading to Snow Leopard or ?

I kind of base my thought process of course knowing how difficult a new PC operating system is to go to from an upgrade perspective rather then buying the machine as it comes from the retailer shipped with the new OS. So the question is, (historical consideration from the experts here) - would it be more prudent to wait until June or so when the new machine ships with the new OS or will there be no real quantam leap forward in the hardware spec then - that the current generation machine will be just as capable ?

And I mean capability wise to take full advantge of the new OS characteristics, is the new machine on the horizon going to be that much better equipped for Snow Leopard or will it not really matter - once you upgrade into the SL environment the current gen machines will utilize it just as well ?

Curious to hear opinions on that.

Cheers
  • Reply 12 of 20
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by converted View Post

Wondering the same things here too, actually my situation is somewhat different as I am considering purchasing the MacBook Pro 15" for my son at the moment. Not knowing much about mac & wanting to broaden my horizons too (recent convert from good ol PC!) the question I have at this point in the units 'cycle' is if we buy now (before this highly rumored update that includes the new OS), are we buying into a machine with hardware characteristics that will have difficulties upgrading to Snow Leopard or ?

I kind of base my thought process of course knowing how difficult a new PC operating system is to go to from an upgrade perspective rather then buying the machine as it comes from the retailer shipped with the new OS. So the question is, (historical consideration from the experts here) - would it be more prudent to wait until June or so when the new machine ships with the new OS or will there be no real quantam leap forward in the hardware spec then - that the current generation machine will be just as capable ?

And I mean capability wise to take full advantge of the new OS characteristics, is the new machine on the horizon going to be that much better equipped for Snow Leopard or will it not really matter - once you upgrade into the SL environment the current gen machines will utilize it just as well ?

Curious to hear opinions on that.

Cheers

If it is for your son, i would just go for the regular Aluminum MacBook. Also, i would buy the machine now, the machines now are fully ready for Snow Leopard (besides the Mini) so upgrading to Snow Leopard won't be horrible at all if you buy a machine now.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Wondering the same things here too, actually my situation is somewhat different as I am considering purchasing the MacBook Pro 15" for my son at the moment.

lucky him!

Quote:

(recent convert from good ol PC!)

Congratulations!

Quote:

the question I have at this point in the units 'cycle' is if we buy now (before this highly rumored update that includes the new OS), are we buying into a machine with hardware characteristics that will have difficulties upgrading to Snow Leopard

No, definitely not.

Quote:

I kind of base my thought process of course knowing how difficult a new PC operating system is to go to from an upgrade perspective rather then buying the machine as it comes from the retailer shipped with the new OS.

When Snow Leopard comes around, you should be pleasantly surprised by the upgrade process. All of Apple's OS X upgrades have delivered performance improvements (so older machines run faster/snappier with a new OS rather than slower as is usually the case with Microsoft).

This should be especially true of Snow Leopard given Apple's stated aim of focussing on under-the-hood improvements rather than flashy new features. In particular, the MacBook Pro should benefit from Snow Leopard's OpenCL what with the way it has a CPU and two GPUs.

Quote:

So the question is, (historical consideration from the experts here) - would it be more prudent to wait until June or so when the new machine ships with the new OS or will there be no real quantam leap forward in the hardware spec then

Having said all the above, one approach is to wait as long as you can until you really need the new machine. New hardware is always around the corner and will always offer better value for money.

Another way of thinking of it is: if you buy a MacBook Pro now, and in six months one arrives that has a blu-ray drive and a built-in 7 hour battery (I'm not saying either of those are guaranteed on the next model), will that make you wish you'd waited? What if you wait and the next MacBook Pro is merely a speed-bump and doesn't offer any significant added functionality? Will that make you wish you'd bought one now?

It's about weighing up those considerations - only you can make the final decision.

Quote:

that the current generation machine will be just as capable ?

Your computer will always be as capable as the day you buy it. (unless it breaks, of course.)
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

If it is for your son, i would just go for the regular Aluminum MacBook. Also, i would buy the machine now, the machines now are fully ready for Snow Leopard (besides the Mini) so upgrading to Snow Leopard won't be horrible at all if you buy a machine now.

Thanks for the quick replies guys - thats the perspectives I was looking for. He's doin computer animation at college so he could use the MB Pro, & I can get an affiliate discount on the machines too at 0% interest through a work purchase program so its a good deal in that respect... thus, buying now is not really what I was wondering about doing or not - more so wondering about the 'next' machines capability with SL versus the current gen model.

I was worried that some kind of quantum leap is going to take place in the hardware in order to support the new OS, and that the current gen model would not be as capable in utilizing the benefits of SL. But from the replies and doing some further reading here - looks like that will not be an issue.

Besides, and historically speaking once again... is it not more prudent to wait for the operating systems 1st major update before going down the 'upgrade route' ? Is there any relevance to other reading I've done that this final update to Leopard will likely make it the most stable platform yet ?? On the Professional end - don't most users refrain from jumping into the upgrade frenzy until the thing is more tried tested and true ?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'm thinking that Apple will do a slight bump before the end of April.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks for the quick replies guys - thats the perspectives I was looking for. He's doin computer animation at college so he could use the MB Pro, & I can get an affiliate discount on the machines too at 0% interest through a work purchase program so its a good deal in that respect... thus, buying now is not really what I was wondering about doing or not - more so wondering about the 'next' machines capability with SL versus the current gen model.

I was worried that some kind of quantum leap is going to take place in the hardware in order to support the new OS, and that the current gen model would not be as capable in utilizing the benefits of SL. But from the replies and doing some further reading here - looks like that will not be an issue.

Besides, and historically speaking once again... is it not more prudent to wait for the operating systems 1st major update before going down the 'upgrade route' ? Is there any relevance to other reading I've done that this final update to Leopard will likely make it the most stable platform yet ?? On the Professional end - don't most users refrain from jumping into the upgrade frenzy until the thing is more tried tested and true ?

The current 15" MBP is a solid machine- It's well past Revision A. As for the OS thing- yeah, It's usually a good idea to wait until the first update to it is out. I plan to wait until SL is at 10.6.1 before upgrading from Leopard.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:

He should have no problem with the MacBook Pro. The upgrade process is so simple after you are finished you will say "Wait, that's it!?"

Well that was what i said when i installed Leopard.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Well, I couldn't wait any longer and ordered a new 15 inch MBP last week. It is currently listed as in-transit.

My reasoning was a) I need a new comp now, and b) there are SO many things that are long overdue for updates already (iMac, Mini, Mac Pro, servers) that it seems like it would be quite a while until Apple worries about laptops again. I could be wrong on this, but my instinct is that not much will happen laptop-wise until later on in the year.

But since we are talking about MBPs and Snow Leopard and other performance issues, just wondering, whatever became of that rumor that you could (in theory) use both GPUs at once? This kind of performance boost, along with Snow Leopard could be huge, and I'm just wondering if it's even a possibility.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'm thinking that Apple will bump the 15" MacBook Pro to 2.5 and 2.66GHz processors, or 2.5GHz and 2.8GHz processors. Meanwhile, Apple will also offer the 320GB hard drive in the low end with the new 500GB hard drive in the high-end. I figure this will happen around mid-April, like the week of the 20th. According to Apple Insider, Intel will be updating its mobile processors in the 2nd quarter, and this would fit the time frame. I don't think Apple will, with this bump, integrate the same battery design as the 17, but they may, however, also offer up the anti glare option.

As far as the MacBook goes, I think Apple will bump the MacBook to the 2.4GHz processor on the low-end and 2.53GHz on the high-end, plus the larger hard drive options.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I hope they will offer an anti reflective screen option, as well as a new graphics processor that is 100% free from all the problems they have had so far. I also hope they won't build the battery in as in the 17" model, since I like to run my computer without the battery when I'm at home.

The only thing that keeps me from buying it now is the graphics errors. It would suck to have a computer that breaks down just when the warranty is out.